Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Election December, 2019 (U.K.)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

I despise that type of "reasoning".
    You literally used that reasoning above. Sure you aren't ignoring yourself on this forum?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Johnson really does think he can do or get away with anything. Not just content with ducking tonight's climate change debate - according to piece below he gave the reason that he didn't want to debate Nicola Sturgeon because she cannot become prime minister - he also seems to be making veiled threats at Channel 4 regarding its public broadcasting license if it refuses to play ball, at least according to buzzfeed anyway. That's surely crossing a line if true.

https://inews.co.uk/news/politics/boris-johnson-nigel-farage-channel-4-climate-change-debate-where-ice-sculpture-1327120

https://www.buzzfeed.com/alexwickham/boris-johnson-is-threatening-to-review-channel-4s

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,594 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Is it true Johnson and Farage are being replaced by 2 ice sculptures? I heard that and thought it was a genius idea but figured it wouldn't be happening.

Edit: true apparently...

https://twitter.com/Channel4News/status/1200112941170937859

I had in my mind that it was going to be 2 lifelike ice sculptures of the two of them!

Is it true Johnson and Farage are being replaced by 2 ice sculptures? I heard that and thought it was a genius idea but figured it wouldn't be happening.

True apparently:

https://twitter.com/Channel4News/status/1200112941170937859

I had in my mind that it was going to be 2 lifelike ice sculptures of the two of them!

People say the BBC are biased.

I think without question we can say that Channel 4 are bias-on-steroids against right-wing parties.

I don't blame Johnson for not turning up. It is a Left-wing trap.

I think without question we can say that Channel 4 are bias-on-steroids against right-wing parties.

Yes. Because climate change only affects lefties.

It would be useful if it only affected deniers though.

• Advertisement

prawnsambo wrote: »

I think it's a bit of stupid debate.

This is a General Election. Focussing on one very specific issue is ridiculous.

If you care about the environment and it's your #1 priority, vote Green and that's that.

No need for a 1-hour long debate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

If you care about the environment and it's your #1 priority, vote Green and that's that.

One issue like Brexit for example?

Shouldn't be focusing on brexit either if that's your logic. Or the NHS. Or any single issue people think is important. But I suspect that you just don't like Johnson being exposed as the coward he clearly is.

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    One issue like Brexit for example?
    Shouldn't be focusing on brexit either if that's your logic. Or the NHS. Or any single issue people think is important. But I suspect that you just don't like Johnson being exposed as the coward he clearly is.

Precisely.

I never once said a debate should be about Brexit alone.

At least if he gave an honest answer to why he isn't turning up, instead of using Nicola Sturgeon's attendance as some sort of principled stance he had to take. Absolutely pathetic. And sending gove along with his daddy to create a big scene at the channel 4 studios is equally risible.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 615 ✭✭✭Letwin_Larry

it's a joke of a 'debate'.
    typical Ch4 nonsense, "let's find a minority agenda, any minority agenda and pretend the whole world cares about it".

once climate change emergency becomes mainstream, they'll be opposed to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,241 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Precisely.

That is right, you keep claiming that the General Election is not a proxy vote for Brexit :rolleyes:

Precisely.

I didn't say you did. Election issues shouldn't be decided by the politicians. That's why we have elections.

Edit: This pretty much sums up Johnson's cowardice.

it's a joke of a 'debate'.
    typical Ch4 nonsense, "let's find a minority agenda, any minority agenda and pretend the whole world cares about it".

once climate change emergency becomes mainstream, they'll be opposed to it.
    Eh? Did you just wake up after a twenty year sleep or something?

Nigel Farage has officially released his reason for not attending tonight's debate:

https://twitter.com/Nigel_Farage/status/1200127343857164288

I would have done - and said - precisely the same thing.

And I'm an advocate of Green politics, before any accusations of climate denial are made.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,379 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Farage shouldn't be asked to any debate. He has zero MPs.

Farage shouldn't be asked to any debate. He has zero MPs.

Yet Plaid are going to be in the 7-way debate on Sunday.

That's the real joke.

If only they would grill a few economists about climate change and their part in the infinite growth economy, that drives the generation of CO2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

The melting ice sculptures with the dripping water where the Tories and Brexit party should be is amusing

Yet Plaid are going to be in the 7-way debate on Sunday.

That's the real joke.

Plaid Cymru have, and will have, MPs in the House of Commons. Farage has none and will have none. He's a nobody.

• Advertisement

Nigel Farage has officially released his reason for not attending tonight's debate:

https://twitter.com/Nigel_Farage/status/1200127343857164288

I would have done - and said - precisely the same thing.

And I'm an advocate of Green politics, before any accusations of climate denial are made.
    So to sum it up. Nigel won't go on C4 to discuss climate change because brexit is more important and C4 are remainers. Even though they're not discussing brexit. Nothing to do with the fact that Nigel is a climate change denier himself.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,187 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Like the ITV network and Channel 5 , Channel 4 has it's news done by ITN. Unlike the others Channel 4 doesn't do news as edutainment.

Channel 4 has a statutory remit to deliver high-quality, innovative, alternative content that challenges the status quo.

So no they can't follow the rest of the media in sucking up to the current government. And that is not Bias. That is what the media are supposed to do in a functioning democracy.

You are going to have to explain where you are seeing the bias otherwise you are just mud slinging.

Johnson ... seems to be making veiled threats at Channel 4 regarding its public broadcasting license if it refuses to play ball, at least according to buzzfeed anyway. That's surely crossing a line if true.
    It's not. Look at how the Tories used the purse strings and OAP licence fee to change the charter and hobble the BBC.

Previously SKY was on side thanks to it's ownership, like most of the print media still is. And ITV and Channel 5 doesn't do hard hitting political news.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,187 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    She says she's retiring (she's in her early 50s), selling up, and getting out if Boris wins and they can stick their blue passport up their Union Jack.
    Yeah, about that.

They'll have to import them first. De La Rue are in trouble so it's likely that the Blue passports will have to be made abroad after Brexit.

As will all the Sterling banknotes.

#takingbackcontrol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 615 ✭✭✭Letwin_Larry

Climate change?

"Bring it on, hotter summers, I wanna go sunbathe in Skegness!"

tbh i just popped in and didn't realise this entire farce is being dedicated to just 1 topic
    what a waste of precious pre-election airtime. Boris was so right to stay at home.

this is a bit having a group Student Unioners invade your corner down the pub, but without the necessary anesthetizing effects of alcohol.

actually i'm sure there's a bottle here somewhere .......

tbh i just popped in and didn't realise this entire farce is being dedicated to just 1 topic
    what a waste of precious pre-election airtime. Boris was so right to stay at home.

this is a bit having a group Student Unioners invade your corner down the pub, but without the necessary anesthetizing effects of alcohol.

The environment is the third most important issue for voters. 28% consider it to be the most important issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,664 ✭✭✭sid waddell

This is a very civilised debate.

It's the type of thing can happen when you have five adults debating without two hysterical children there to throw tantrums.

It's not. Look at how the Tories used the purse strings and OAP licence fee to change the charter and hobble the BBC.

Previously SKY was on side thanks to it's ownership, like most of the print media still is. And ITV and Channel 5 doesn't do hard hitting political news.

Yeah fair points, but just because the bbc is neutered doesnt mean that C4 has to follow suit. I suspect if that buzzfeed story is even true, its just another hollow threat from downing st anyway. Glad they held firm against the stunt pulled by gove on behalf of his party, if the bbc did have any semblance of pride left, they'd stand up for themselves too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,664 ✭✭✭sid waddell

Ooh, you said "Student Unioners", edgy.

The empty chairs are starkly symbolic. It's as if Johnson and Farage don't give a damn about climate change.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,782 ✭✭✭I see sheep

After all Johnson's ranting in the commons about Corbyn being a chicken, we see who the real coward is.
    Johnson is an absolute embarrassment, anybody voting for him should be ashamed of themselves.

Advertisement