Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Election December, 2019 (U.K.)

Comments

Former Labour leader Ed Miliband caught lying about his Brexit credentials.

He claims that he voted "in favour of Brexit 9 times", when in fact he has voted against all Brexit deals / legislation for the past 3 years.

It's no wonder that Labour voters have such little faith in mainstream politicians.

An MP, lying to his constituents, in order to secure his own political career. Outrageous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

My impression is that Johnson was his glove puppet ever since Johnson started campaigning for Tory leader. Maybe he has stepped back now. Which would be strange seeing as he has done a very good job for Johnson to date.

Not sure. If he's writing the blog again, that would imply he's stepped away but you know how these guys can be with rules! Could be he's just stepped away for election, too many chiefs in there already, and will be back to oversee his glorious vision of a no deal brexit. My guess anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭boggerman1

I wonder if he's not gone entirely since he's writing his blog again as his publicist laura kuennsberg has been busy informing us.

Was listening to James O'Brien's show on lbc today.Cummings stepped down a week or so ago but he had to do that given there's an election in the offing.however he will be rehired again as the senior adviser to Johnson so is free to do as he likes in between.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,379 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

prawnsambo wrote: »
    Lynton Crosby is the chap running the show. Are you sure Cummings came up with that slogan?

It's attributed to him. As was Take Back Control. Never heard of Crosbie.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,187 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Look, Channel 4 should have issued a debate on the General Election - both Brexit and other domestic issues, and even climate change.

It makes no sense to focus purely on climate change.
    Channel 4 was set up by the government to provide an alternative platform.

So they can't hold the same debate as the other channels do.

But I'm guessing you already knew that.

• Advertisement

For those interested, here is the Question Time panel tonight in 30 minutes. Quite a lot to debate this week!

I agree with Caroline Lucas' perspective on the environment, but I always can't help but think she's a nun without the garb. I can imagine her dishing out Nice biscuits to her constituents.

https://twitter.com/bbcquestiontime/status/1200152154058764294

Crosby is the aussie who helped muck up the election for may in 2017, a lot of his polling figures were way out. Its one of his crew, fullbrook i think, who is running the campaign now with two new zealander bruises doing the online stuff. All vote leave veterans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Crosby. Sir Lynton Crosby to you. ;)

Very experienced in managing elections in several countries. Known as the Wizard of Oz etc.

He's done a terrible job. Prorogation anyone? "We'll see how clever Mr. Grieve is". Very clever as it turned out. Painted themselves into an even tighter corner than Theresa May did and practically had to beg to get an election called. One huge miscalculation after another. And the crowning glory; getting a withdrawal agreement that was an earlier draft of the one that TM got. Keystone cops stuff.

The Tories are currently heading for a large majority. They've gone from 23% in July, when Johnson was elected leader, to 42% today. Cummings was central to that success throughout. That's excellent work for a political strategist.

The Tories are currently heading for a large majority. They've gone from 23% in July, when Johnson was elected leader to 42%, today. Cummings was central to that success throughout. That's excellent work for a political strategist.

When you put it like that, very true.

And 42% in some polls, outliers of which reach the dizzy heights of 47%.

What Cummings lacks in fashion sense and general cleanliness, makes up for in political acumen.

• Advertisement

Crosby. Sir Lynton Crosby to you. ;)

Very experienced in managing elections in several countries. Known as the Wizard of Oz etc.

Seems to be a bit like football managers with these guys, one whiff of success and they're made for life, no matter how many teams they relegate in the meantime. I mean, you'd think nick timothy would never work again after 2017 but they were damn near making an mp of him this time. Had to settle for a mere knighthood in the end!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,594 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I don't think Brexit and its effects will be done for years if not decades but I have to say 'Get Brexit Done' is a very clever slogan, whoever came up with it. Taps into the frustration and exasperation many voters are feeling about the whole thing, and it's simple enough to remember.

Seems to be a bit like football managers with these guys, one whiff of success and they're made for life, no matter how many teams they relegate in the meantime. I mean, you'd think nick timothy would never work again after 2017 but they were damn near making an mp of him this time. Had to settle for a mere knighthood in the end!

...which, by the way, was shameful.

We need an end to this nonsense; an abolition of the House of Lords, at least in its current formation, and a radical transformation that turns FPTP into something far more representative of the UK electorate.

The two-party system isn't dead. But it won't die until FPTP does.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

The Tories are currently heading for a large majority. They've gone from 23% in July, when Johnson was elected leader, to 42% today. Cummings was central to that success throughout. That's excellent work for a political strategist.
    No offence to Cummings, but any fool could see that being more brexity than the BP would stop the rot. Literally bleeding support to them since they were formed. I even suggested he do that (on here) when he was elected. And the growth is precisely down to that strategy. The problem was and remains the expected loss of the Tory middle ground.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Boris Johnson really does seem to be 100% all in with the Donald Trump strategy of ultra-populism at any cost. Sadly the coward is going to win.

Boris Johnson really does seem to be 100% all in with the Donald Trump strategy of ultra-populism at any cost. Sadly the coward is going to win.

I wouldn't say Johnson is "ultra-populist".

Populism is the petit four of Nigel Farage, because Farage knows he will never have the power to deliver his promises. He can push and provoke, but never deliver. Johnson, on the other hand, is ventriloquising some of the major points of Farage in a politically acceptable, dare I say "deliverable" manner.

Johnson is Farage-light; a fat-free Farage.

But to call Johnson "ultra-populist" is a bit of a stretch.

If anything, Corbyn is more "ultra-populist", as Corbyn is similarly appealing to public demands in ways that, economically-speaking, cannot be delivered in any possible realistic format.

No offence to Cummings, but any fool could see that being more brexity than the BP would stop the rot. Literally bleeding support to them since they were formed. I even suggested he do that (on here) when he was elected. And the growth is precisely down to that strategy. The problem was and remains the expected loss of the Tory middle ground.

It is, hence the death of One Nation Toryism. But Johnson doesn't need them so he doesn't care. I still harbour very faint hopes that he'll revert to centrist policies once re-elected. But that could be the LSD.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,550 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Completely disagree.

The Tory manifesto was the dullest manifesto ever with very few outlandish promises.

Plus, Britain has a parliamentary democracy, a different system from America. Voters are being asked who they want as their next government, not a president.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,213 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

It is, hence the death of One Nation Toryism. But Johnson doesn't need them so he doesn't care. I still harbour very faint hopes that he'll revert to centrist policies once re-elected. But that could be the LSD.

He was able to present caving in to the EU's initial border proposal as some sort of triumph so if he wins a big enough majority, I think he'll plump for a softer Brexit as he'll be able to ditch the ERG.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

Completely disagree.

The Tory manifesto was the dullest manifesto ever with very few outlandish promises.

Plus, Britain has a parliamentary democracy, a different system from America. Voters are being asked who they want as their next government, not a president.

Possibly because of the election-costing damage that May's manifesto cost in 2017. Once she announced her more ambitiously stupid policies, her ratings tanked.

"Minimize non-Brexit issues - maximize Brexit"; appears to be the strategy.

• Advertisement

I wouldn't say Johnson is "ultra-populist".

Populism is the petit four of Nigel Farage, because Farage knows he will never have the power to deliver his promises. He can push and provoke, but never deliver. Johnson, on the other hand, is ventriloquising some of the major points of Farage in a politically acceptable, dare I say "deliverable" manner.

Johnson is Farage-light; a fat-free Farage.

But to call Johnson "ultra-populist" is a bit of a stretch.

If anything, Corbyn is more "ultra-populist", as Corbyn is similarly appealing to public demands in ways that, economically-speaking, cannot be delivered in any possible realistic format.

Think you're just showing why its really a meaningless term. Whatever corbyns chances of election, i doubt there are many who seriously doubt his and his partys commitment to improving the lives of the ordinary and working people they appeal to. While on the other side you have people like farage and trump convincing these same people that they are with them in the fight against the nasty elites oppressing them when they themselves are fully paid up members of that establishment elite. A con trick, pure and simple.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Channel 4 ought to go all out on him now but they also need the BBC to weight behind them....oh wait.

Some idiot on Newsnight representing the Tory Party at the moment.

He was able to present caving in to the EU's initial border proposal as some sort of triumph so if he wins a big enough majority, I think he'll plump for a softer Brexit as he'll be able to ditch the ERG.

Fingers crossed.

This is the private wish of the Irish government by all accounts.

A Tory majority also eliminates the chances of the DUP propping up a minority government, which will be good for relations in the North and help with restoring Stormont.

Tory charles walker on newsnight saying the pm cant be expected to interrupt his busy schedule just for a tv debate. He has a country to run etc yada. So what was this incredibly busy man doing at 7pm today when the debate was ongoing? As i posted earlier, he was tweeting inane drivel about jeremy corbyn. A wonder he didnt go full trumpian and tweet us a running commentary on the debate.

Tory charles walker on newsnight saying the pm cant be expected to interrupt his busy schedule just for a tv debate. He has a country to run etc yada. So what was this incredibly busy man doing at 7pm today when the debate was ongoing? As i posted earlier, he was tweeting inane drivel about jeremy corbyn. A wonder he didnt go full trumpian and tweet us a running commentary on the debate.

I'm not sure I get the Trump comparison. May didn't bother to debate in 2017 either. She wasn't compared with Trump.

Plus, they are so different personalities.

Political manoeuvring didn't start with Trump.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,732 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Politics needs to be about more than winning. Blairism shifted the Overton window in UK Politics more firmly to the right than it had ever been. There is no point in winning if it is built on watered down versions of your opponent’s policies

So its better to lose and consistently lose?

The Tories are looking at 14 years of rule, during a time that it has had 3 PM's, tore itself apart over the Brexit issue, morphing itself into a English Nationalist party-lite and has a leader who is questionable morals and a gift for telling lies.
    Not to mention all the cuts to public services and austerity....

Yet, even then the Labour party in its current formation cannot seem to win.

I mentioned this before but that last time a Labour party won an election when Tony Blair was not its leader was 1974 under Wilson. That was 45 years ago.

So, tell me should Labour not try and pull back to the centre or continue to be a left wing pure party and be on the shadow benches for perpetuity?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

Tories complain about impartiality of C4 - then puts out doctored BBC content...

https://twitter.com/BBCNewsPR/status/1200121657337225216

markodaly wrote: »
    So its better to lose and consistently lose?

The Tories are looking at 14 years of rule, during a time that it has had 3 PM's, tore itself apart over the Brexit issue, morphing itself into a English Nationalist party-lite and has a leader who is questionable morals and a gift for telling lies.
    Not to mention all the cuts to public services and austerity....

Yet, even then the Labour party in its current formation cannot seem to win.

I mentioned this before but that last time a Labour party won an election when Tony Blair was not its leader was 1974 under Wilson. That was 45 years ago.

So, tell me should Labour not try and pull back to the centre or continue to be a left wing pure party and be on the shadow benches for perpetuity?

This is the internal struggle within Labour. There's some evidence that Tory led governments in the past has actually invested more into the NHS than Labour ones. The Tories are not anti NHS as is being made out. Not even during the Thatcher era did she dare to mess with it.

I actually believe Cornyn should have campaigned on getting Brexit done, arguing for a soft Brexit. The confused message of Labour has backfired. He should have stuck with his guns and supported Brexit but kept remainers on side by agreeing to a soft version.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,732 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

This is the internal struggle within Labour. There's some evidence that Tory led governments in the past has actually invested more into the NHS than Labour ones. The Tories are not anti NHS as is being made out. Not even during the Thatcher era did she dare to mess with it.

I actually believe Cornyn should have campaigned on getting Brexit done, arguing for a soft Brexit. The confused message of Labour has backfired. He should have stuck with his guns and supported Brexit but kept remainers on side by agreeing to a soft version.

Oh I agree with a lot there.

The main issue with is with Corbyn and his dithering, blathering and sidestepping of taking leadership in crucial areas. Namely Brexit but also this handling of the anti-semtism debacle.

His refusal to appologise was truely foot in mouth stuff. He just comes accross as awfully weak. His decades of heading up committes and protests from Islington is there for all to see.

If Labour chilled a bit on the whole re-nationalisation project, stopped treating all rich people as leppars, and crucially confronted immigration then they coud easily have won this election once they had a clear message on Brexit.
    But they failed on all counts so far.

Advertisement