Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Election December, 2019 (U.K.)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Short of introducing internment, there is little that can be done to stop this type of lone wolf attacks.

The threat was reduced simply because they believed there were no clear active threats from the usual suspects.

Being on constant high alert is more disruptive and can cause unnecessary anxiety in the general population.

I'm sure internment was considered by the Tories, but it probably didn't poll well enough

Strazdas wrote: »
    Johnson by no means home and dry. Poll of polls suggests his predicted majority is rapidly shrinking :

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2019/11/29/boris-johnsons-predicted-commons-majority-slashed-80-12-week/
    I suspect that this story is simply a wake up call to the faithful not to be complacent and that their vote only counts if they cast it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

I suspect that this story is simply a wake up call to the faithful not to be complacent and that their vote only counts if they cast it.

They might be spinning it that way but its another poll so it is a bit more than just a story. Might shake tories out of any sense of complacency but should also give opposition renewed hope. Swings and roundabouts. My hope is that the second referendum parties get it at least somewhat together on the tactical voting side because there are numerous tories, like IDS for example, waiting to be picked off and thats something the polls cant possibly accurately predict.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,047 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

They might be spinning it that way but its another poll so it is a bit more than just a story. Might shake tories out of any sense of complacency but should also give opposition renewed hope. Swings and roundabouts. My hope is that the second referendum parties get it at least somewhat together on the tactical voting side because there are numerous tories, like IDS for example, waiting to be picked off and thats something the polls cant possibly accurately predict.

Johnson hasn't had a great week. Poor in interviews and running away from other ones.....it's not a good look.

The attacks on Corbyn by the media don't do a thing to help Johnson's popularity.

Johnson hasn't had a great week. Poor in interviews and running away from other ones.....it's not a good look.

The attacks on Corbyn by the media don't do a thing to help Johnson's popularity.

Johnsons a terrible campaigner, was obvious from leadership contest but now we're witnessing just how wogious he really is. Two more weeks of this bluster and shambling - I'd definitely be nervous if i was a true blue. Today's events wont help much either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

I disagree.

Th author is simply breaking down the polls .

The problem for the tories is they have maxed out the leave vote while Labour clearly eking out the Green, Lib Dem and the undecided slowly but surely.

They are still about 8 points clear if you put the polls together but another 2% or so surge from Labour its possible we could be in hung parliament territory.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,047 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Rjd2 wrote: »
    I disagree.

Th author is simply breaking down the polls .

The problem for the tories is they have maxed out the leave vote while Labour clearly eking out the Green, Lib Dem and the undecided slowly but surely.

They are still about 8 points clear if you put the polls together but another 2% or so surge from Labour its possible we could be in hung parliament territory.

Yes, it's nearly impossible for the Tories to go any higher....they're already picking up nearly all Leave votes and right wing votes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Yes, it's nearly impossible for the Tories to go any higher....they're already picking up nearly all Leave votes and right wing votes

The biggest error of this election if Tories lose could be Boris not trying to get his deal through parliament. The numbers were there and I think the remain tories are now vulnerable with chatter about no deal etc.

The leave vote would have been in the bag and soft London tories may not have been as reluctant to vote tory now.

Liberal Democrats in Scotland

[Head of Scottish Liberal Democrats] has said he would put stopping [Scottish] independence ahead of stopping Brexit if the general election results in a hung parliament.

I guess he has his reasons for holding that rather odd position but just shows what a tough campaign this has been for them. Their manifesto says if they win a majority it gives them a mandate to revoke brexit, yet when asked today if winning a majority in Scotland gave the snp a mandate to seek an indyref, the scots lib dem leader shook his head and said "hypotheticals." Just checking the bookies odds, swinson not exactly a red hot favourite to retain her seat.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Perpetrator of the London Bridge attack was an Islamist, tagged, and known to authorities.

Priti Patel reduced the terror threat as recently as November 4th.

Oh dear.

This is all on Johnson and the Tories.

True but will the public believe that a Corbyn government will clamp down on Islamists?

• Advertisement

Perpetrator of the London Bridge attack was an Islamist, tagged, and known to authorities.

Priti Patel reduced the terror threat as recently as November 4th.

Oh dear.

This is all on Johnson and the Tories.

Priti Patel is responsible for a lone-wolf terrorist killing 2 people on London Bridge?

Really!?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Priti Patel is responsible for a lone-wolf terrorist killing 2 people on London Bridge?

Really!?

Actually have to agree with you for once

10 years of Tory policing cuts and investment in marginalised communities are to blame

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

10 years of Tory policing cuts and investment in marginalised communities are to blame

not the doctrines of Islamic fascism?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,907 ✭✭✭bren2001

I don't think what happened yesterday should be politicised. It's not a reason to Get Brexit Done nor is it Priti Patel's fault.

You do realise that by pointing the finger at austerity, you exonerate the criminal of his responsibility?

In effect, what you are doing is offering a justification for the terrorists behaviour.

That is not right.

Those who commit crimes must take full responsibility. Put another way, even if there are 20,000 fewer officers roaming the street, would that convince you to commit a crime?

No, because presumably you adhere to the principle of being law abiding. If it applies to you, it must also apply to everyone else.

Patel should politicise this because terrorism and homeland security are political issues. I hope she comes down hard on this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,241 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Lib Dems at it again and this dove tails with their misleading graphs

https://twitter.com/trapdoorcat/status/1200575151647133696

Lib Dems at it again and this dove tails with their misleading graphs

https://twitter.com/trapdoorcat/status/1200575151647133696

The bbc did a piece on that practice last week and they showed examples of all 3 main parties doing it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,664 ✭✭✭sid waddell

bren2001 wrote: »
    I don't think what happened yesterday should be politicised. It's not a reason to Get Brexit Done nor is it Priti Patel's fault.
    The Tories have a leg to stand on if people blame them for letting out this terrorist, given the fake tweet they were spreading about Jeremy Corbyn yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,697 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

The Tories have a leg to stand on if people blame them for letting out this terrorist, given the fake tweet they were spreading about Jeremy Corbyn yesterday.

In fairness, once the release was based on the rules in place then really there is not much else that can be done. There are, unfortunately, people that want to carry out things like this, and whilst the authorities try to keep everyone safe all the time, there is always the possibility of something like this happening.

Is this incident really any worse than the recent knife crime going on? Sure it has the word terrorist in the headline, but unfortunately people get stabbed and killed every day.

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭Slowyourrole

BBC using the terorist attack to justify putting Borris on Andrew Marr show instead of staying firm on Andrew Neil ultimatum.

https://twitter.com/BBCNewsPR/status/1200744798476476416

• Advertisement

Leroy42 wrote: »
    In fairness, once the release was based on the rules in place then really there is not much else that can be done. There are, unfortunately, people that want to carry out things like this, and whilst the authorities try to keep everyone safe all the time, there is always the possibility of something like this happening.

Is this incident really any worse than the recent knife crime going on? Sure it has the word terrorist in the headline, but unfortunately people get stabbed and killed every day.

Fair enough comment but johnson and other conservatives relentlessly politicise stabbings in london against labour and sadiq khan. They expect it all one way on this. I'm not comfortable with yesterday being politicised in any way but we all know the undercurrents being circulated about corbyn and the lazy security trope, the same way the conservatives tried to use damning nhs statistics against labour a couple of weeks back.

Polls remaining steady for Prime Minister Johnson.

This, just released by The Telegraph - taking an average of the last 10 national polls from various companies.

If Johnson/Patel can play the attack to their advantage, as being the party of crime prevention and defence, these statistics may yet rise further. Corbyn has an abysmal record in defending the capture of terrorists, as opposed to their destruction. The general public just does not sympathise with this view, no matter how "reasonable" it's articulated.

With just 12 days to the poll, it's beginning to appear that Johnson has it more in the bag than ever before.
    Boris Johnson and the Conservatives have a commanding lead in the polls as the general election campaign wraps up its third week, with voters heading to the polls on December 12.

Opinion polls so far show the Conservative Party in the lead, with a 12-point gap over Labour. However, with two weeks until election day there is still ample time for public opinion to shift - just as it did away from Theresa May in 2017.

The chart below shows national voting intention. It takes an average of the last 10 national polls, from various polling companies, in order to show the most accurate snapshot of the nation's opinion on any one day.

BBC using the terorist attack to justify putting Borris on Andrew Marr show instead of staying firm on Andrew Neil ultimatum.

Damage is done with the bbc. Reputational hit on this is near irreparable i am inclined to believe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

That rather pathetic by the BBC.

Maybe, as Johnson is sitting comfortably, Marr turns to the camera, "Now please welcome Andrew Neil to the studio...". :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,478 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

They should really sub-in Andrew Neil just as the lights go up.

Wow, I'm on the same wavelength as eskimohunt, time to go back to bed. :)

I'm willing to bet it will be a relatively soft interview with Johnson allowed to pass himself off as the hero the country needs in this time of danger.

This, just released by The Telegraph - taking an average of the last 10 national polls from various companies.

If Johnson/Patel can play the attack to their advantage, as being the party of crime prevention and defence, these statistics may yet rise further. Corbyn has an abysmal record in defending the capture of terrorists, as opposed to their destruction. The general public just does not sympathise with this view, no matter how "reasonable" it's articulated.

With just 12 days to the poll, it's beginning to appear that Johnson has it more in the bag than ever before.

Not going to derail thread. Will just ask once if you managed to locate that link where corbyns going to disband the army. Not doubting you of course, just curious to read it.

It will be difficult for them to play this to their advantage too much. The Conservatives have been in power since the attacker was first convicted. They let him out. They've cut the police force by 20k which means loads of known dangers are going unmonitored. That's why I think the Andrew Marr show will be such a boon to them.

• Advertisement

Not going to derail thread. Will just ask once if you managed to locate that link where corbyns going to disband the army. Not doubting you of course, just curious to read it.

I didn't say he was "going to disband the army" as a matter of policy, but that he believes that all armies should be abolished, including the UKs.

He does not understand the important value that an army brings. He sees armies as something to be eliminated, rather than as a positive force when it needs to be used.
    “Wouldn’t it be wonderful if every politician around the world instead of taking pride in the size of their armed forces did what the people of Costa Rica have done and abolished the army and took pride in the fact that they don’t have an army … surely that is the way we should be going forward,” Mr. Corbyn said.

The Sun went on to report that “two weeks ago Mr. Corbyn admitted he ‘couldn’t think’ of a situation in which he would deploy British troops.”

As for this:
    It will be difficult for them to play this to their advantage too much. The Conservatives have been in power since the attacker was first convicted. They let him out. They've cut the police force by 20k which means loads of known dangers are going unmonitored. That's why I think the Andrew Marr show will be such a boon to them.

The Conservatives aren't a monolith. How they exist today - with Johnson and Patel and their policies - is very different to the party and policies of 2010.

Ditto with Labour, actually.

Advertisement