Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

VRT reclaim

• 12-11-2019 3:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23

Bear with me...

My missus brought her Pug 206 (2002) over, incurred the wrath of the revenue and ended up paying 400-odd Euro VRT on it. That's not the issue.

It was IRL plated, taxed and insured, no NCT as UK MOT was still valid until March.

Visited UK in it last week and basically cam belt snapped and it's beyond economical repair. So we left it there. Now we want to reclaim VRT if possible and just scrap it.

Is it possible? VRT website says u need an NCT cert which we don't have unless they mean the VRT conformity cert? Car is worthless and wasn't worth much before so I'm wondering if below any threshold for VRT reclaim?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭pablo128

I think (open to correction) that revenue take the first 500 of any vrt due back and give you the rest.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 aidyhawse

You should have sent away the MOT certificate in order to get your NCT certificate. Since you didn't say that you have done that, you have been driving around with no valid NCT.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

How long has she owned the car (in the UK?)? Should there have been a VRT exemption?

• Registered Users Posts: 23 stek1961

She basically drove for nigh on 18 months on yellow plates and got caught. They said cos of that VRT due. She'd had car in UK for years. She's working full time here in perm role (though we still have our UK address) so she basically turned a blind eye and tried it on.

I'll ask about MOT, pretty sure she didn't send it off. Looks like she got away with that too. Doesn't matter now, RIP Pug 206...

I'm here on contract until January (or March, don't ask) been here since July and I'm on yellow plates. I have my V5C, MOT, Insurance in car, and usually a valid ferry ticket home, ROS told me I'm ok with that as temporary resident but all this crap is pissing me off and scaring me silly so I'm gonna take my car back home and throw myself at the mercy of Dublin Bus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Doesn't the market value of the car need to be a minimum of €2000 in order to claim VRT back via export?

• Advertisement

bazz26 wrote: »
    Doesn't the market value of the car need to be a minimum of €2000 in order to claim VRT back via export?

I read that. Honestly I love Ireland and whilst I'm not Irish my ancestry is (I'm a Kearney) I have to say this whole VRT thing does my head in!

aidyhawse wrote: »
    You should have sent away the MOT certificate in order to get your NCT certificate. Since you didn't say that you have done that, you have been driving around with no valid NCT.

She just told me she knew about that but 'didn't get round to it'....

I know, I know.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,448 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

And it has to be inspected and certified as running before export.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

This.

It’s about €1800 more than a 02 206 is worth

That said, VRT value a 2002 1.4 Zest with 70k on it at €2000

All academic as the car hasn’t been inspected, and is without NCT

Marcusm wrote: »
    And it has to be inspected and certified as running before export.

Interesting!

Car is being scrapped, but assuming it wasn't and it was worth it, what would happen if it was a decent value car, say was written off in an accident in UK on a visit, is that it? No VRT reclaim?

• Advertisement

colm_mcm wrote: »
    This.

It’s about €1800 more than a 02 206 is worth

This is true, but she wouldn't listen, it's not as if she's short of money either, emotional attachment....

So, to recap best to forget any VRT refund, stick the UK plates back on in UK, and scrap it with fingers crossed. Actually the guy who recovered us said he'd give her 100 quid for it, might just do that...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Your insurance company would pay out based on the market value of the car before the accident. VRT is technically included in that market value so there is no separate provision for claiming a VRT refund on a written off vehicle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭User1998

stek1961 wrote: »
    She basically drove for nigh on 18 months on yellow plates and got caught. They said cos of that VRT due.

Could I ask how she got cought ?

User1998 wrote: »
    Could I ask how she got cought ?

Sure.

She'd been living in Dubs for well over a year, stopped twice by Garda for Yellow plates etc, get it registered in Ireland etc, and at that time to be fair although she had a perm full time job in Dubs, she wasn't really sure whether to stay or come back to UK. Moot point, being fair minded she was domiciled and should have VRT'd car. I did tell her....

Anyway roll on, one morning last Jul when I came here on contract, we get a knock on the door and it's the Revenue Customs, car seen entering the State in Feb, (that was just a visit home and back, been here long before) and they'd either seize the car or she'd pay 200 Euro fine and register the car in the State or remove it from the State.

She paid and registered etc so that was the end of that really.

As an aside VRT was 430 Euro, Motor Tax 360 Euro or so, insurance 900 Euro third part only.

In UK it was no VRT-like tax, Motor Tax (ie Road Fund Licence) 140 quid, insurance 280 quid fully comp.

My car is a 2006 Maserati QPV, here, Motor Tax 1809 Euro, Insurance 1600 Euro, in UK, 235 quid road tax, insurance 450 quid.

I'm not rich, just a car nut. I don't mind the the Motor Tax, motorways are largely empty out of Dubs, great for driving fast and speed cameras are few and far between compared to UK but the insurance. And tolls...

TBF Ireland is a small country with nowt much outside Dubs, so someone has to pay and I know I complain but two days back home stuck on any given motorway on any given day for ages and I'm happy to be back (not on the M50 tho)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,448 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Interesting!

Car is being scrapped, but assuming it wasn't and it was worth it, what would happen if it was a decent value car, say was written off in an accident in UK on a visit, is that it? No VRT reclaim?

Why would there be a VRT reclaim? A working car has not been exported for sale, it has been written off while abroad.

Your wife should never, on the basis of what you’ve stated here, have reregistered the car in Ireland in the first place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,047 ✭✭✭Truckermal

Yep it sure does as I got the Lexus done this evening!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭michellie

Bear with me...

My missus brought her Pug 206 (2002) over, incurred the wrath of the revenue and ended up paying 400-odd Euro VRT on it. That's not the issue.

It was IRL plated, taxed and insured, no NCT as UK MOT was still valid until March.

Visited UK in it last week and basically cam belt snapped and it's beyond economical repair. So we left it there. Now we want to reclaim VRT if possible and just scrap it.

Is it possible? VRT website says u need an NCT cert which we don't have unless they mean the VRT conformity cert? Car is worthless and wasn't worth much before so I'm wondering if below any threshold for VRT reclaim?

No vrt reclaim possible. To claim an export refund you need to bring the car to the NCT for the export process, and it needs an NCT on it. The car has to be in the country to even start the export process.

By the way having an MOT on the car means nothing if you were stopped by the guards, unless you exchange that for an NCT cert.

Export will only be paid out if the OMSP is over €2000, and theres a deduction of €100 admin fee

Advertisement