Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Skype Phone

Options
  • 12-11-2019 4:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭

Hi All,

I'm building a house and don't intend on connecting a phone line. There'll be no fiber here for....possibly ever and a landline phone is not a necessity. There is half decent mobile signal but I want something more reliable for incoming calls so we don't miss delivery drivers etc.

It seems the simplest option is to rent an Irish number from Skype and have it forward to the app on my phone or ideally a skype phone we could put in the kitchen. I had one of these years ago but from my googling I can't seem to find a cordless phone that you can log into skype on.

Does anyboy know if one of these exists?
    I could just buy a crappy mobile and use that but I like the idea of having a mock landline phone in the kitchen, partly because it'll need to stay in the charger and won't end up lost under the couch or something.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

If you don't have a fixed line then it's going to go through the mobile network.

Forwarding a Skype number to a mobile is IMO adding extra cost that won't add any extra benefit.

If you absolutely need a landline number you can rent one from Irishvoip.com for around a fiver per month or 25 euro per annum and use the login details in a smartphone VoIP app but IMO a standard mobile without the need for a data connection (which VoIP requires) is a simpler solution.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭RoflHarris

Are you sure it'll go through the mobile network. As far as I understand if someone rings the Irish number provided by Skype any device I have that is logged into my Skype account will start ringing. I just need to be connected to the internet. So my WiFi at home would serve the purpose no?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

How are you connecting to internet...is it through a fixed line such as a copper line fed from a pole?

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭RoflHarris

Ten Pin wrote: »
    How are you connecting to internet...is it through a fixed line such as a copper line fed from a pole?

Ah I see what you mean, we'll actually be going with Wicklow Broadband. They have antennas dotted around the area so if you're in line of sight you can put a receiver on the house. Gets you about 900kb which is grand for streaming and any WhatsApp calling I've done, the in laws have it and it's very reliable.

Advertisement