Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Audi A4 queries

• 12-11-2019 5:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    Just recently bought 161 Audi A4 saloon.
    Car came without SD card(presume previous owner took it with him)
    Do I need this sd card to work Bluetooth, podcast , hands free etc.. on my iPhone ?
    If so, where can you buy sd card and is it hard to install ? Also have a slot for a sim ?? Iv read you need sd card for sat nav but I don’t need nav as have google maps on the phone.
    Also, where is cheapest place to buy mats that will fit. Clips are 380mm apart ?
    I’m hoping someone will be able to help me out.
    Thanks
    PM

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

If the car doesn't have sat nav you dont need or shouldn't have an SD card. You can use the slot for your own media though if you want.

The Audi mats aren't cheap, full set is around €80 iirc. They are nice in the car though, non fitted mats dont really suit the shape of the footwell in them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

SD card only contains Sat Nav map files afaik.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭passremarkable

If the car doesn't have sat nav you dont need or shouldn't have an SD card. You can use the slot for your own media though if you want.

The Audi mats aren't cheap, full set is around €80 iirc. They are nice in the car though, non fitted mats dont really suit the shape of the footwell in them.

Car has option for sat nav but would I be right in saying you need the sd card to operate it? When I turn car on the display says that no sd card for sat nav.
    I tried to connect my phone via Bluetooth but car couldn’t find my device. Thats why I’m wondering do i need this sd card.
    Would using the auxiliary cable do the job ? Although the Bluetooth would be handier cos wouldn’t need cable then.
    Sorry for questions but I’m lost here

On the mats, which websites/shops to look for ?
    Thanks

bazz26 wrote: »
    SD card only contains Sat Nav map files afaik.

what’s the sim slot for ?
    If sd card is only for sat nav well then I won’t need it cos have google maps on my phone.
    Wonder why my phone won’t connect via Bluetooth ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,580 ✭✭✭jmreire

Car has option for sat nav but would I be right in saying you need the sd card to operate it? When I turn car on the display says that no sd card for sat nav.
    I tried to connect my phone via Bluetooth but car couldn’t find my device. Thats why I’m wondering do i need this sd card.
    Would using the auxiliary cable do the job ? Although the Bluetooth would be handier cos wouldn’t need cable then.
    Sorry for questions but I’m lost here

On the mats, which websites/shops to look for ?
    Thanks
    Not too long ago, Micks Garage had a special deal on car specific mats...have a look at their website and see what they have going now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭SniperSight

what’s the sim slot for ?
    If sd card is only for sat nav well then I won’t need it cos have google maps on my phone.
    Wonder why my phone won’t connect via Bluetooth ?

Sim card would be for Audi Connect and using services like Google Maps as sat nav.
    On some Audi models the Sat Nav is installed on the hard drive and updated via SD cards...
    On my previous 2010 A6 and current 2014 S3 that is the set up.
    It has 2 SD slots and 1 SIM card slot and a hard drive.
    2 SD slots are for my own media and free to use all the time as neither is taken up with a Sat Nav card.

However, My Wifes 2014 A3 is SD card based Sat Nav as is my Fathers 2015 A5...it really depends on the spec of the MMI system.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,135 ✭✭✭Moanin

jmreire wrote: »
    Not too long ago, Micks Garage had a special deal on car specific mats...have a look at their website and see what they have going now.

I'd go to dealer or somewhere that you can and get genuine ones.

The ones in Micks garage although cheaper do not have the same 'pile' as the genuine ones and the quality is not as good imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,592 ✭✭✭tossy

The most expensive matts on micks garage are only ok won’t last as long as the genuine ones so are a bit of a false economy. Definitely don’t buy the cheaper ones.

If it was me I’d fork out for the genuine Audi rubber ones coming into winter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,580 ✭✭✭jmreire

tossy wrote: »
    The most expensive matts on micks garage are only ok won’t last as long as the genuine ones so are a bit of a false economy. Definitely don’t buy the cheaper ones.

If it was me I’d fork out for the genuine Audi rubber ones coming into winter.

A friend of mine got a set from Micks Garage, and while he would agree with you on the quality issue, he was happy with them...so Its a choice thing.

The quality of the mats wouldn't bother me once their black and fit the clips.
    But this phone/sd card is doing my nut in.
    When can’t I connect to Bluetooth ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

The quality of the mats wouldn't bother me once their black and fit the clips.
    But this phone/sd card is doing my nut in.
    When can’t I connect to Bluetooth ?

I don't think bluetooth is standard on all trim levels. Does your phone pick up anything on bluetooth when you start the car?

mordeith wrote: »
    I don't think bluetooth is standard on all trim levels. Does your phone pick up anything on bluetooth when you start the car?

No phone or car not picking up anything .
    Why would that be ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Jesus, I'd hope a 2016 Audi would have bluetooth as standard.

Have you tried pairing a different phone, just to rule out the problem being the phone?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭SniperSight

No phone or car not picking up anything .
    Why would that be ?

Did you go into the telephone menu and search for a new bluetooth connection... The car wont automatically find it and connect to the phone without being set up (paired) in the Tel menu first.

Did you go into the telephone menu and search for a new bluetooth connection... The car wont automatically find it and connect to the phone without being set up (paired) in the Tel menu first.

Well,thanks for help folks.
    Just spent 45 mins in the car and eventually got own phone and work phone hooked up via Bluetooth.Played around with phones got it paired up. Tested them out and can make calls and play podcasts. One job done thank god. I’m pathetic and impatient with techy stuff!!!
    Think il just forget about this sd card now. Just need to learn how to organise my radio stations and how to stop that sd sat nav reminder popping up.

Now to source car mats!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,012 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

... Just need to learn how to organise my radio stations ...
    Slightly off topic but on the subject of radio stations, RTE Radio One in my A4 keeps going out of tune when I drive in Northern Ireland. I have to continually re-tune it and when I do, the station label doesn't appear, just the frequency. This hasn't been a problem in previous cars. (I don't know if it happens with other stations as I don't really switch around much).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Heres Johnny

Slightly off topic but on the subject of radio stations, RTE Radio One in my A4 keeps going out of tune when I drive in Northern Ireland. I have to continually re-tune it and when I do, the station label doesn't appear, just the frequency. This hasn't been a problem in previous cars. (I don't know if it happens with other stations as I don't really switch around much).

Back in the day I think it used to be called RDS where the name of the station displays, I thought it was the height of fanciness at one stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭Harcrid

If the car was sold to you advertised with Sat Nav I would be asking the seller for that SD card.

Harcrid wrote: »
    If the car was sold to you advertised with Sat Nav I would be asking the seller for that SD card.

To be fair it wasn’t and I was advised.
    I’m not bothered about car sat nav as have google maps on the phone.
    I’m happy I can use phone and podcasts via Bluetooth.
    Just annoys me that display advises no sd card for sat dab when I turn on car!!!
    I’m sure there is a way of knocking it off !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,152 ✭✭✭Lewis_Benson

Just annoys me that display advises no sd card for sat dab when I turn on car!!!

There isn't
    Best just get an SD card and load the maps on to it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I think you need to have AF turned on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,012 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

colm_mcm wrote: »
    I think you need to have AF turned on.
    Thanks - I'll check that out when I get a chance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,699 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

Do you have Android Auto built in on the A4? It's been standard across the Audi range for a number of years, so could well be there.

You do have to plug the phone in via USB, but Google Maps runs through the centre screen as does Spotify/Google Play Music or whatever you use for podcasts probably.

Been a while since I've been in an A4 so can't remember which option you need to choose to activate it, and you'd need to install the Android Auto app on your phone - presuming it's Android rather than iPhone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Heres Johnny

R.O.R wrote: »
    Do you have Android Auto built in on the A4? It's been standard across the Audi range for a number of years, so could well be there.

You do have to plug the phone in via USB, but Google Maps runs through the centre screen as does Spotify/Google Play Music or whatever you use for podcasts probably.

Been a while since I've been in an A4 so can't remember which option you need to choose to activate it, and you'd need to install the Android Auto app on your phone - presuming it's Android rather than iPhone.

I have an aux socket in the cubby hole between the front drivers seat. I remember the salesman telling us we could plug in phone and it would be functional with the MMI. I don't think I've any USB ports in the car except for one I've an adapter for in the 12v cigarette lighter. Can it be controlled through the aux socket?
    Car is a 141 A6 by the way.

Advertisement