Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Noel Grealish

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,867 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

pjohnson wrote: »
    Sorry if I hurt your feelings

Not at all. If anything I suspect its folk like yourself whose feelings are hurt on issues like this when confronted with facts and legitimate questions.

The counter always seems to be emotive name calling, virtue signalling and deflection.. Rarely anything substantive.

But feel free to respond to the points and questions raised in this thread if you wish - albeit without the aforementioned nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,236 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

The next time Noel wants to be a little racist bollíx in our legislative house, the rest of the TD's get to play the bongo on his head.

Boggles wrote: »
    The next time Noel wants to be a little racist bollíx in our legislative house, the rest of the TD's get to play the bongo on his head.

What exactly did he say that was racist?

I've heard the question on radio this morning.

Please point out where the racism was?

• Registered Users Posts: 41,080 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

SafeSurfer wrote: »
    How can we ever have a debate about improving a system that has clear shortcomings if every question is shouted down with cries of “racism”.

Racism is treating individuals or groups differently based on the colour of their skin or ethnicity. Not asking questions simply because of ethnicity is essentially racist.

Lets step back here a second.

What is happening here is that people are saying (without directly saying it) that all this money is going to a predominantly black country. In effect what is being said here is "its black peoples money therefore it must be dodgy"

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    What exactly did he say that was racist?

I could waste my time pointing it out to you.

But we both know that would pointless, don't we?

It's been explained plenty times on thread all ready.

So as you were lad.

• Advertisement

So as you were lad.

So no answer then.. Fair enough!

So no answer then.. Fair enough!

Well there was, but you have just proved my point.

Good day to you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭Roversfan1

I did not hear him say anything racist at all.

Was it Christians in Nigeria or Muslims? Or was it Hausa or Fula?

Or do you just lump them all together yourself?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,003 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

So, we're not allowed question anything in case it's racist?
    What nonsense.

I for one would like to see his perfectly legit question answered

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

So as you were lad.

seriously now, we have to allow ourselves to ask questions including questions about immigrant communities. the alternative is not being allowed to ask questions - dont you see how dangerous that is? today its immigrant communities, tomorrow its government decisions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭Bob Harris

Ronaldinho wrote: »
    I doubt you can prove that. The data may show a disproportionate amount of remittances to a specific country such as Nigeria but you have no data regarding the sender of those monies do you?

People are jumping to conclusions here about what's driving it. Fwiw I'd say money laundering could be a big driver. This thing of asserting that the Nigerian diaspora in Ireland is sending back 20k a year on average is a load of c0ck imho.

The figure can be disputed and may not be accurate and I'm sure there is an element of money laundering. As for who is doing it? Well it's not my Auntie Dolores in Nobber that's for sure.

What is happening here is that people are saying (without directly saying it) that all this money is going to a predominantly black country. In effect what is being said here is "its black peoples money therefore it must be dodgy"

No.. That's the spin that's being put on it to try and discredit the questioner and deflect the question.

What was actually asked (and the question has been played back on all the morning shows) was that the figures show apparent discrepancy, and are there means to verify nothing untoward is happening.

No country mentioned, no mention of race, nationality or skin colour.

Perfectly valid question that deserves an answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,422 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Aren't you the clown that said it's mostly settled people that do the dumping at halting sites?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,642 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

I think what's being said here is that the amount of money that is being sent to Nigeria* seems to be completely out of sync with the size of the Nigerian population (or Nigerian-Irish population) in Ireland.

If the data show that citizens from countries A, B, C, D, and E are sending home relatively similar amounts of money, but citizens from country F are sending home amounts that are multiples of that usual amount, it's worth asking how that is happening...

*...if indeed it is happening, as nobody seems to actually know what that number is though, some of the competing figures are miles and miles away from each other.

Even if Grealish is doing it just to stir up shyte (and my guess is that he is doing exactly that), it doesn't mean that the issue isn't a valid issue also.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,971 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

The world bank are clear on this

"These are analytical estimates based on logical assumptions and derived from a global estimation of bilateral remittance flows worldwide. They are not actual officially reported data."

Neither is the CSO data actual data.

"The total number of PPSNs issued to non-Irish nationals is combined with information about which sectors immigrants are working in.

The average earnings for that sector are then taken, and a formula is used to work out how much would be sent home once rent, food, and taxes are deducted."

You couldn't have a clearer demonstration of the meaning of "analytical estimates based on logical assumptions". If someone ever finds a link to the CSO data, it can be looked at in more detail. Surprisingly, it all seems to be second-hand sources.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭Bob Harris

There are immigrants from a certain country in Ireland the majority of whom seem be either unemployed or on benefits while at the same time there appears to be an inordinately high level of money flowing back to their country of origen from Ireland.

That needs to be looked at.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,602 ✭✭✭✭kippy

That's not whats being said, but people will spin things whatever way they want to suit their own agenda.

seriously now, we have to allow ourselves to ask questions including questions about immigrant communities. the alternative is not being allowed to ask questions - dont you see how dangerous that is? today its immigrant communities, tomorrow its government decisions.

Do you think Noel gives 2 flying fúcks about money leaving the state?

No, he is putting his nonsense into the public domain so he will be re-elected so he gets to keep claiming his 40-50 grand un-vouched expenses.

You'd want to be a special sort of simpleton not to see through the Cretin.

No, he is putting his nonsense into the public domain so he will be re-elected so he gets to keep claiming his 40-50 grand un-vouched expenses.

Regardless of what you suspect his motivation may be, it's still a perfectly valid question that needs an answer.

Shouting "racist" (or now "self interest") doesn't change that

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

Of course not, he just wants to point at something so he can "Say What Everyone Is Thinking", that Nigerian immigrants are a special kind of sponger and probably criminals too, so the people of West Galway should vote for him to keep out the scary black criminal spongers.

• Advertisement

Regardless of what you suspect his motivation may be, it's still a perfectly valid question that needs an answer.

The same question was raised 5-6 years ago in the house and answered.

Can the Cretin not use a search engine?

Can he not hire someone out of his 50 grand un-vouched expenses to do a search of the easily accessible material?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

i agree with you! i'm totally disillusioned with politics and politicians and his motivations probably are as transparent as you suspect. Questions should still be allowed. All questions.

I think he's doing his job tbh.

Crazy figure made available, question it.

A list of Grealishs' "Official Questions" over the years:

https://www.oireachtas.ie/en/debates/questions/?datePeriod=all&questionType=all&member=%2Fie%2Foireachtas%2Fmember%2Fid%2FNoel-Grealish.D.2002-06-06&resultsPerPage=20&viewBy=question

• Registered Users Posts: 22,003 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

It would appear that you're talking to a SJW, doesn't matter what rational argument you use... you are racist!

Questions should still be allowed. All questions.

Exactly. But Noel has done his usual disappearing trick after throwing a bullshít hand grenade into the public domain. So no one can question him.

Where is Noel, have you seen him?

The same question was raised 5-6 years ago in the house and answered.

Can the Cretin not use a search engine?

Can he not hire someone out of his 50 grand un-vouched expenses to do a search of the easily accessible material?

What changed after that question 5-6 years ago?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

Of course it does. Do you really imagine that Grealish would have raised an issue if the remittance figure for Estonia was out of whack? New Zealand?

Of course not, he is only bringing it up because it supports what every racist in his constituency is thinking about Nigerians, reinforcing his "Vote for me, I hate em too!" message.

• Registered Users Posts: 989 ✭✭✭boetstark

is_that_so wrote: »
    Not at the behest of the ramblings of a less than stellar TD. Nah, 97% or so compliance tells its own tale. Banks do enforce those rules as it's really not in their interest to flout them.
    I will tell you for a fact that banks do not enforce money laundering rules. They pay lip service to these laws. I worked for 11 years in a major Irish bank. Reported a guy for transferring 3800 eur per month to Pakistan, every month for 13 months. He worked as a till assistant in a service station. He was questioned and said it was money being sent home to father and laughed whilst saying he was a good saver and generous son. Bank, OK, end of story we asked and he responded. A joke.
    I worked in finance in a number of countries before moving here and laws here are not enforced.
    In my opinion Ireland is the softest most pc correct country I have ever been to, and Irish taxpayers are being rode more than Shergar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Riskymove wrote: »
    what IBEC figures?

Sorry, the CSO figures that IBEC are peddling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,483 ✭✭✭weisses

Advertisement