Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Noel Grealish

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

alastair wrote: »
    It is? On the basis of what exactly?

On the basis that as we have seen from this debacle, we have no idea how much money is leaving Ireland yearly in remittances. If all is above board that's all well and good, but there should be at least some checks and balances.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭Roversfan1

This thread is why we need to cut funding to RTE.

Their propaganda is working incredibly well on some of the posters here.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭Mr.Maroon

I live, work & vote in Noel Grealish's constituency.

The man basically disappears after he is elected and appears again just in time for a new election, when he can be seen at funerals and canvassing in nursing homes.

My guess is the granny vote is dying out on him and he's trying to fill the void with the racist vote.

Showing up in Oughterard was the first he appeared in public recently. He was nowhere to be seen during the marriage equality & abortion votes. I don't think he even answered any questions from the media on which side of the debate he was on.

Seeing all the racists defend him now is hilarious. The man is nothing but a leach on the state - this new rhetoric of his is as opportunistic as it comes.

Mr.Maroon wrote: »

The man basically disappears after he is elected and appears again just in time for a new election, when he can be seen at funerals and canvassing in nursing homes.

My guess is the granny vote is dying out on him and he's trying to fill the void with the racist vote.

Showing up in Oughterard was the first he appeared in public recently. He was nowhere to be seen during the marriage equality & abortion votes. I don't think he even answered any questions from the media on which side of the debate he was on.

Seeing all the racists defend him now is hilarious. The man is nothing but a leach on the state - this new rhetoric of his is as opportunistic as it comes.

Who cares....He brought up something that is important.

It is hilarious that the word racist is used as if it is an amazing gotcha that ends a discussion.

Even if he is a racist and even if 99% of Ireland is racist.....what difference does that make to the question that he asked being answered?

Can you move on or does your brain malfunction when you confront a racist?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,236 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Roversfan1 wrote: »

RTE requested an interview this morning, they were denied.

But yeah it's RTE's fault. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,483 ✭✭✭weisses

So Niall collins of FF is now a racist according to you ....

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

KWAG2019 wrote: »
    There are obvious questions to be answered. The attempts to silence a TD asking questions, which may have perfectly legitimate answers, is intolerable.

Well the good lady from Nigeria enjoying no doubt a nice salary as lead lecturer of "Black Studies and Critical Race Perspectives in Education" in UCD, mentioned in the following posts, actually said today on radio that people making false statements should be punished.

And she claims Grealish is making a false statement.
    Now maybe he is wrong because the figures from World Bank are skewey, but the figures used to deride him also seem to be skewey.
    Where are the real facts and has he no right to ask?

But if she and the Irish quislings get their way then Grealish would be shut up through force of law for asking questions.

This is where we are going.
    Yurt! wrote: »
    Tapdancing Christ they had Ebun Joseph on Morning Ireland talking about Grealish. For don't know who she is; basically her chief talents in life appear to be being African in a predominantly white country, and operating a line in creepy self-help gurudom.

"Ultimate Power - being an unforgettable woman seminar - coming to a down-market Midlands hotel function room near you."

Oh, and to boot, she coordinates Ireland's first 'black studies' programme at the UCD School of Social Justice. A wasps nest of mentalers that RTE have on speed-dial for some reason.

Anyway, not sure who's worse, Grealish or her.

The aforementioned Dr Ebun Joseph head of Black Studies and Critical Race Perspectives in Education" in UCD.
    Dr Joseph, an Intercultural Consultant, is an author, activist, and motivational speaker who researches race relations, racial stratification and the labour market.

WTF is an intercultural consultant ???

I am not allowed discuss …

So this is the CSO figures (scroll down for the answer)

https://www.oireachtas.ie/en/debates/question/2019-10-22/93/#pq-answers-93

This is world bank figure.

https://www.knomad.org/sites/default/files/2019-11/Bilateralremittancematrix2018_Oct2019.xlsx

I’m on my phone and unable to scroll across the world bank data. I wanted to look at Poland and other countries to see if the figure compares with that of the CSO. Are there huge discrepancies between the two for all countries?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,971 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Of course it does. Do you really imagine that Grealish would have raised an issue if the remittance figure for Estonia was out of whack? New Zealand?

Of course not, he is only bringing it up because it supports what every racist in his constituency is thinking about Nigerians, reinforcing his "Vote for me, I hate em too!" message.

And if there was nothing to see, he would have been pilloried out of the Dail.

The problem is, like a stopped clock is right twice a day, this time he has hit on something that at the very least there are questions about.

If everyone who questioned Israel's role in the Middle East was immediately labelled as anti-semitic, would that be right? Not at all, because again there are real questions to answer.

So while Noel Gealish may well be racist, and may well have had racist motivation in asking the question, the answers being given do not raise any confidence in the answer and are only leading to more questions.

https://www.knomad.org/sites/default/files/2019-11/Bilateralremittancematrix2018_Oct2019.xlsx

I’m on my phone and unable to scroll across the world bank data. I wanted to look at Poland and other countries to see if the figure compares with that of the CSO. Are there huge discrepancies between the two for all countries?

"The current CSO data are estimated using Revenue data."

Bingo. If revenue doesn't know about it, it isn't included in the CSO data. Therefore the cash economy (I could call it the black economy, but some idiot would probably call me racist) is completely excluded.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 41,080 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    No.. That's the spin that's being put on it to try and discredit the questioner and deflect the question.

What was actually asked (and the question has been played back on all the morning shows) was that the figures show apparent discrepancy, and are there means to verify nothing untoward is happening.

No country mentioned, no mention of race, nationality or skin colour.

Perfectly valid question that deserves an answer.

What are you on about?

This was specifically directed at Nigeria

Noel Grealish asked a PQ about remittances - he got the cso figures

A week later he asks the same question using the Woeld bank figures specifically mentioning Nigeria.

Complete racist dog whistle

If Noel Grealish is so concerned about ‘crime’ or ‘fraud’ or suspicious tax-avoidance activities he could ask asked the Taoiseach why In 2018, €32 million was sent from Irish households to households in ‘offshore financial centres’

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

blanch152 wrote: »
    So while Noel Gealish may well be racist, and may well have had racist motivation in asking the question, the answers being given do not raise any confidence in the answer and are only leading to more questions.

Minister Noonan answered the question when FF raised it years ago - the World Bank figure is nonsense. It's upthread. The end.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,422 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Their propaganda is working incredibly well on some of the posters here.

I've said it before but RTE are not objective on issues like this - rather than being strictly informative, it sees itself as some sort of moral guardian. The relentless pushing of the kind of Ireland RTE wants, rather than engaging with the real Ireland is what has alienated so many from it's services and why so many not just don't pay the license but actively wish it's demise.

"The current CSO data are estimated using Revenue data."

Bingo. If revenue doesn't know about it, it isn't included in the CSO data. Therefore the cash economy (I could call it the black economy, but some idiot would probably call me racist) is completely excluded.

I just can’t see the data on my phone. What are the two figures (CSO and world bank) for monies transferred from Ireland to Poland. Are they similar?

What are you on about?

Noel Grealish asked a PQ about remittances - he got the cso figures

A week later he asks the same question using the Woeld bank figures specifically mentioning Nigeria.

Complete racist dog whistle

If Noel Grealish is so concerned about ‘crime’ or ‘fraud’ or suspicious tax-avoidance activities he could ask asked the Taoiseach why In 2018, €32 million was sent from Irish households to households in ‘offshore financial centres’

Yes and ?

So using your logic Niall Collins of FF is a racist as well ??

What are you on about?

Do you think he choose Nigeria because he doesn't like Nigerians or because of the €3.5 billion?

Minister Noonan answered the question when FF raised it years ago - the World Bank figure is nonsense. It's upthread. The end.

The CSO figure is also nonsense, you can't rebut nonsense with nonsense unless you are in a Monty Python sketch.

The discrepancy between the two figures points to something being strange.

Boggles wrote: »
    RTE requested an interview this morning, they were denied.

But yeah it's RTE's fault. :rolleyes:

RTE are still playing the man and not the ball. He did the right thing refusing an interview. The question has still not been answered.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,642 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

If I am reading it correctly, the CSO figures report 339 million remitted to Poland in 2017 (latest CSO figures), and the World Bank reported 232 million (in 2018).

In the case of Nigeria, the CSO report says 17 million (again 2017), whereas the WB says 539 million (2018).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,454 ✭✭✭AllForIt

I didn't know there was an election called. When is it?

Your not being serious are you. You wouldn't be the only one.
    Seeing all the racists defend him now is hilarious.

I would have thought you would think racism wasn't funny. Perhaps what you do find funny is the reaction to false allegations of racism.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

RTE running this endlessly, trying to turn it into a 'racist agenda'. I heard Grealish's question again today and it was a perfectly reasonable question phrased in a perfectly reasonable way.

Who cares....He brought up something that is important.

I care. He is supposed to be my local TD.
    There are far bigger issues in Galway West than Nigerians sending some of their own money back home. He campaigned on issues effecting Galway west in 2015. He has done absolutely nothing to address them in the last four years.

CSO data for Poland, 2017 is €342m
    World Bank date for Poland, 2018 is 232, but not clear whether in Euros or dollars.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

World Bank figure appears double for Brazil.
    World Bank figure appears same nearly Bulgaria.
    World Bank figure appears around 6 times higher for China.
    World Bank figure appears over 2.5 times higher for Czech Rep.
    World Bank figure appears same nearly Estonia.
    World Bank figure appears around 2 times higher for Hungary.
    World Bank figure appears over 2.5 times higher for India.
    World Bank figure appears around 2 times higher for Latvia.
    World Bank figure appears slightly over for some years to Lithuania and other times maybe 0.5 times higher.
    World Bank figure appears just over 2 times higher for Latvia.
    World Bank figure appears lower for Poland sometimes twice as much lower for one year.
    World Bank figure appears around 3 times higher for Philippines.
    World Bank figure appears roughly same for Romania.
    World Bank figure appears roughly same for Slovakia.

Now World Bank figure appears a whopping 31 times more than CSO figures for Nigeria. :eek:

Now these are just quick cursory scans of figures in those links, but fooking hell that last one jumps out drastically and only a fool or someone willfully not interested would not want some explanation.

What currency are the World Bank figures ?

Something is seriously wrong with one or other, or both of the figures for Nigeria if they are in anything like dollars, euros, pounds.

And shouting racist is not the answer.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

https://twitter.com/cmaccaba/status/1194542079990534149?s=21

Read the above thread.

The World Bank figure came from Nigeria and it’s pretty much guess work based on the number of Nigerians in Ireland and the GDP per capita.

It’s complete and utter guess work. I’d be more inclined to believe the CSO figures which are in conjunction with the Revenue.

No doubt the racists will still find a reason to rubbish this because their hero Noel called out the black lads.

AllForIt wrote: »
    I didn't know there was an election called. When is it?
    You must not crawl out from under your rock every often.
    AllForIt wrote: »
    I would have thought you would think racism wasn't funny. Perhaps what you do find funny is the reaction to false allegations of racism.
    I'd say this one touched a nerve.

CSO data for Poland, 2017 is €342m
    World Bank date for Poland, 2018 is 232, but not clear whether in Euros or dollars.

World bank is in dollars.

So Noel Grealish asked the question in October and was given the CSO figures. He repeated the question yesterday citing world bank data and questioned the discrepancy.

I’m questioning it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

is_that_so wrote: »
    Is this a case of Grealish good, Coppinger bad?

No I don't think we need paint in broad strokes like that. But I think the question demands an answer and not denigration of the asker. If Ruth can get us an answer - great. I was disappointed with that particular outburst of hers and thought it unhelpful. I was also disappointed with the Taoiseach's deflection to remittances to Ireland over the years from Irish abroad. Migrant remittance was not the issue raised - it was the outlandish magnitude and the resulting possibility of criminality.

Nigerians were sending over nearly 500 million a year back in 2011 ... why would that have changed all of a sudden ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Faugheen wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/cmaccaba/status/1194542079990534149?s=21

Read the above thread.

The World Bank figure came from Nigeria and it’s pretty much guess work based on the number of Nigerians in Ireland and the GDP per capita.

It’s complete and utter guess work. I’d be more inclined to believe the CSO figures which are in conjunction with the Revenue.

No doubt the racists will still find a reason to rubbish this because their hero Noel called out the black lads.

So the world bank guesswork is completely wrong, but the CSO guesswork is correct. Gotcha.

Advertisement