Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Noel Grealish

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,971 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Faugheen wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/cmaccaba/status/1194542079990534149?s=21

Read the above thread.

The World Bank figure came from Nigeria and it’s pretty much guess work based on the number of Nigerians in Ireland and the GDP per capita.

It’s complete and utter guess work. I’d be more inclined to believe the CSO figures which are in conjunction with the Revenue.

No doubt the racists will still find a reason to rubbish this because their hero Noel called out the black lads.
    jmayo wrote: »
    World Bank figure appears double for Brazil.
    World Bank figure appears same nearly Bulgaria.
    World Bank figure appears around 6 times higher for China.
    World Bank figure appears over 2.5 times higher for Czech Rep.
    World Bank figure appears same nearly Estonia.
    World Bank figure appears around 2 times higher for Hungary.
    World Bank figure appears over 2.5 times higher for India.
    World Bank figure appears around 2 times higher for Latvia.
    World Bank figure appears slightly over for some years to Lithuania and other times maybe 0.5 times higher.
    World Bank figure appears just over 2 times higher for Latvia.
    World Bank figure appears lower for Poland sometimes twice as much lower for one year.
    World Bank figure appears around 3 times higher for Philippines.
    World Bank figure appears roughly same for Romania.
    World Bank figure appears roughly same for Slovakia.

Now World Bank figure appears a whopping 31 times more than CSO figures for Nigeria. :eek:

Now these are just quick cursory scans of figures in those links, but fooking hell that last one jumps out drastically and only a fool or someone willfully not interested would not want some explanation.

What currency are the World Bank figures ?

Something is seriously wrong with one or other, or both of the figures for Nigeria if they are in anything like dollars, euros, pounds.

And shouting racist is not the answer.

Conor McCabe's thread generally explains why the World Bank figures are around twice the CSO ones because of the anomaly of Ireland's GDP. So far so good, allow for a difference in methodology and you can probably account for anything up to three times higher.

That leaves China and Nigeria as stand-outs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭Roversfan1

Mr.Maroon wrote: »
    I care. He is supposed to be my local TD.
    There are far bigger issues in Galway West than Nigerians sending some of their own money back home. He campaigned on issues effecting Galway west in 2015. He has done absolutely nothing to address them in the last four years.

Ok....so it works like this for you then

He cannot address anything else until he address the unmentioned issues that you have mentioned that he has not mentioned?

You see you keep bringing up Grealish as a person....like RTE and all the media is doing.

Many people are interested in the actual issue and not throwing about the racism crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭jammiedodgers

So the world bank guesswork is completely wrong, but the CSO guesswork is correct. Gotcha.

And the World Bank is racist too.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,422 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

So the world bank guesswork is completely wrong, but the CSO guesswork is correct. Gotcha.

So is the real truth here is that no one knows how much is leaving the country as remittance? We have two wildly differing estimates.

So shouldn't we be attempting to get accurate data and then determining if there are questionable financial flows?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,483 ✭✭✭weisses

So the independents are racists
    FF is harboring racists

I have to watch out what party to vote for ... I might be called a racist as well

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

No doubt the racists will still find a reason to rubbish this because their hero Noel called out the black lads.

This is the most racist thing I have seen so far on this thread.

So is the real truth here is that no one knows how much is leaving the country as remittance? We have two wildly differing estimates.

So shouldn't we be attempting to get accurate data and then determining if there are questionable financial flows?

In a nutshell. There may not be an issue at all in what gets sent. But with such conflicting data, we can’t confirm anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

100%, a full and thorough investigation is needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,483 ✭✭✭weisses

Where was your outrage 6 years ago ?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,642 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Read the above thread.

The World Bank figure came from Nigeria and it’s pretty much guess work based on the number of Nigerians in Ireland and the GDP per capita.

It’s complete and utter guess work.

To be fair, that seems like a decent piece of research which makes absolute sh!t of the World Bank figures.

• Advertisement

weisses wrote: »
    Where was your outrage 6 years ago ?

Probably was focused on saving the whales back then....6 years later a new cause has arisen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

Read the above thread.

It’s complete and utter guess work. I’d be more inclined to believe the CSO figures which are in conjunction with the Revenue.

That thread is the most clear explanation for why there is such a discrepancy between World Bank and CSO figures.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,520 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

Lets step back here a second.

What is happening here is that people are saying (without directly saying it) that all this money is going to a predominantly black country. In effect what is being said here is "its black peoples money therefore it must be dodgy"

No. That is what you are saying.

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

Sir Oxman wrote: »
    That thread is the most clear explanation for why there is such a discrepancy between World Bank and CSO figures.

How come most other countries don't have such a huge discrepancy??

Obviously because of racism......I mean how else can you explain it?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Read the above thread.

I'd sooner rubbish it because everything from Conor McCabe comes out with is rubbish :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 667 ✭✭✭lola85

Once again Niall Boylan is the only radio presenter not afraid to say he agrees with the comments from Grealish.

That thread explains why the WB data is basically really badly calculated crap.
    Nigeria basically allocates what it thinks comes from Ireland based on Nigerian population size in Ireland and official GDP per head of Ireland.

I'm not saying the CSO data is bolted down to the last cent either.

I'm more interested in how we could get a more reliable data gathering process for money outflows.

By the way, I tend to agree with the idea that Grealish is a relatively horrible little sh1tspinner and he doesn't actually give a fck about the answer.
    Which doesn't necessarily negate the question.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Bambi wrote: »
    I'd sooner rubbish it because everything from Conor McCabe comes out with is rubbish :D

Well after seeing his comment that Gaybo was "a hitman for the establishment" and he changed nothing says he is a moron who has no fooking concept of what was going on in Ireland back in 70s/80s and what issues Gaybo was willing to debate on the biggest media platform in the state.

All you have to do is look at the cr** he is pushing on his twitter feed to see where he is coming from.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Roversfan1 wrote: »
    Obviously because of racism......I mean how else can you explain it?

It's on him to elaborate. There's a reason beside them being black, because that is nonsensical, but he's not given it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,889 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

because most countires, like Ireland, produce an estimate based on the best international practice on how to do so

Nigeria don't

both figures are estimates based on a particular approach so are never going to be 100% accurate

But the CSOs is definitely going to be nearer to reality than the Nigerian figure

• Registered Users Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭BENDYBINN

By the way, I tend to agree with the idea that Grealish is a relatively horrible little sh1tspinner and he doesn't actually give a fck about the answer.
    Which doesn't necessarily negate the question.[/QUOTE]

The people that elected him give a Fck about the answer..........that’s his job to ask the question for gods sake....

lola85 wrote: »
    Once again Niall Boylan is the only radio presenter not afraid to say he agrees with the comments from Grealish.

Boylan's piece is mainly focusing on the 'racist' angle and tiptoeing around all matters to do with immigration, which is a legitimate debating point.

He's not actually delving into the discrepancy in the figures.

The people that elected him give a Fck about the answer..........that’s his job to ask the question for gods sake....

They well might but reading about him I doubt he does.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

From the previously linked written reply to Minister of Sate for An Taoiseach in response to Grealish ....
    Remittance information is difficult to compile for National Statistics Offices and is usually based on administrative sources and modelling rather than direct collection. The current CSO data are estimated using Revenue data. Pay of non-national workers is used to estimate disposable income and to derive a remittance amount

Notice the words modelling, estimated ?

It is all fecking guesstimates much like the World Bank figures.
    Does "pay of non national workers" include social welfare ?

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users Posts: 7,422 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

From the previously linked written reply to Minister of Sate for An Taoiseach in response to Grealish ....

Presumably it would include all official sources of income.

And if you get citizenship of a country, do you stop being a non national?

Nigeria basically allocates what it thinks comes from Ireland based on Nigerian population size in Ireland and official GDP per head of Ireland.

I'm more interested in how we could get a more reliable data gathering process for money outflows.

I’m sure that there are other countries in Ireland that have comparable number to Nigeria in Ireland. How come their figures aren’t completely skewed by our false GDP??

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

The only reason you are interested is that the inaccurate information published is inaccurate. Why does that make you think the accurate data (if we had it) would be interesting?

If I invent some nonsensical numbers about custard exports, does that mean we must have an investigation to get to the bottom of the custard issue?

Nope.

And going after this as if there must be a real issue keeps alive the racist idea that Nigerians are simultaneously welfare spongers, black economy millionaires and involved in massive money laundering.

Based on nothing but this silly number.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,520 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

Using the inflated Irish per capita GDP figure still does not explain the amount relative to other countries. The same calculations using GNP would still be anomalous.

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

Advertisement