Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Noel Grealish

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 418 ✭✭high_king

JJayoo wrote: »
    So this politician used the following info which was published in the 'Independent'

"NIGERIAN migrants here are now sending nearly half-a-billion euro back home each year. World Bank figures reveal that €468m in 'remittances' was sent from Ireland to Nigeria in 2011.

That's an average of more than €26,000 for each of the 17,642 Nigerian nationals in Ireland, including children.

This is far in excess of the sums sent home by Poles from Ireland. They sent $224m (€174m), even though there are more than 122,000 Polish people in the country."

And now the 'Independent' are leading the charge declaring how much of a racist he is.

"'I've sent money home, I'm not a criminal'- Nigerians in Ireland react to Noel Grealish money remarks"

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/ive-sent-money-home-im-not-a-criminal-nigerians-in-ireland-react-to-noel-grealish-money-remarks-38688562.html

He is using the same stats and figures that the same newspaper published.

Is this news outlet facing charges of racism???

So the real issue is who's telling porkie pies, the world bank, the Irish independent, or the CSO ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

I think it shows the level of integrity in the Irish Media, fake outrage sells.

I hope the independent will get called out on all the radio stations for their comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,899 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

SafeSurfer wrote: »
    Why does the fact that he has “no history of anti-immigrant comments” make it worse?

Does he even believe what he is saying or care about the subject? He has been a TD for 17 years and those who know him say they have never heard him speak on the subject of immigration or migrants before.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,644 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Homelander wrote: »
    While in general it is a perfectly legit question, you have to question why last month, he asked the same question and was given more accurate figures, but chose, a month later, to use the world bank figure despite being informed it was incorrect.

So really find it hard to believe how Noel Grealish deserves to be treated with credibility in that context. I think he clearly and deliberately used the info to get exactly a response he predicted, that he was raising issues that were being 'shut down' by the Government.
    This is my take on it too.

Having received the CSO figures just last month, he couldn't fail to be aware that the World Bank figures were hugely different.

He could have asked why they were so different, or if the government was aware of that difference (Varadkar was not). He could have asked if the govt has any plans to refine the way they calculate such data. That would have been legitimate.

But instead he treated as fact statistics which he knew to be disputed and, frankly, should have been able to see were extremely unlikely.

Had he never received the CSO figures and just arrived at the World Bank figures, it might be more believable (Varadkar had no idea about it either), but that's not what happened, and it does make me question his motives.

And all that is giving him the benefit of the doubt over his knowledge of the fact that Noonan answered much the same question about Nigerian remittance back in 2013.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭sk8erboii

Strazdas wrote: »
    Does he even believe what he is saying or care about the subject? He has been a TD for 17 years and those who know him say they have never heard him speak on the subject of immigration or migrants before.

He has been saying sh*te back in september. He’s a christian nut.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 418 ✭✭high_king

osarusan wrote: »
    This is my take on it too.

Having received the CSO figures just last month, he couldn't fail to be aware that the World Bank figures were hugely different.

He could have asked why they were so different, or if the government was aware of that difference (Varadkar was not). He could have asked if the govt has any plans to refine the way they calculate such data. That would have been legitimate.

But instead he treated as fact statistics which he knew to be disputed and, frankly, should have been able to see were extremely unlikely.

Had he never received the CSO figures and just arrived at the World Bank figures, it might be more believable (Varadkar had no idea about it either), but that's not what happened, and it does make me question his motives.

This is correct, but I think you're expecting a lot from an Irish TD, they are generally not of very high quality or ability, they are all more of a pantomime type. Does anyone know why are World Bank's figures so off, where are they getting them from ? Pretty worrying for World Finance . . are we being fed more financial porkie pies ?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Those statistics, if made public, would only fan the flames of racism.

That doesn't make it a question that shouldn't be asked or made available, would they even be readily available though?

We need more transparency not less

• Registered Users Posts: 18,899 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

sk8erboii wrote: »

Yes, but he has only been at this stuff for the last couple of months. People who know him say they are quite baffled to hear him speak about immigration and migrants, as they've never heard him talk about it before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 667 ✭✭✭Balf

high_king wrote: »
    So the real issue is who's telling porkie pies, the world bank, the Irish independent, or the CSO ?
    We can narrow it down more.

The World Bank fiddle a little with information they get from the Nigerian Central Bank. That's the basis for the €500m figure reported in the Indo.

The CSO try to guess how much a migrant might be able to afford to send home, which seems like a peculiarly irrelevant way of arriving at a figure.

So its really who you think has a better grasp of how much money leaves Ireland and arrives in Nigeria, our CSO or their Central Bank.

Although, even if their Central Bank figure pans out, I'd still wonder if it has anything to do with money transfer services routing transactions from across Europe through Dublin for tax reasons. But that's just speculation on my part.

Imagine a world with information you could rely on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Gentleman Off The Pitch

sk8erboii wrote: »

What has his or anyone's religion go to do with this?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 98 ✭✭Charles Leclerc

Strazdas wrote: »
    Apparently, he has no history of anti-immigrant comments over the years, which makes things even worse. Throw out a few inflammatory remarks about African people in the hope it generates controversy and headlines for himself (does he even care a jot about the subject?).
    So a man is up for murder and the judge looks at his previous convictions and sees he has none.

Trying to make a name for himself, give him 50 years!

What a stupid post.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Look at the CSO figures they cite. Looks like a copy and paste exercise. The €17 million figure for Nigeria is repeated for 8 years in a row despite an increase in population. Factcheck indeed.

Census 2011: 17,000
    Census 2016: 13,000

That includes Irish-Nigerians. Where’s your facts that the Nigerian population has increased?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,290 ✭✭✭RoryMac

Look at the CSO figures they cite. Looks like a copy and paste exercise. The €17 million figure for Nigeria is repeated for 8 years in a row despite an increase in population. Factcheck indeed.

CSO look to have been on holiday between 2013 & 2017 with the exact same figures for every single country over those years. If these are the figures to be believed it raises more questions than answers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭Roversfan1

Nah, that's the scam.
    People who feel uncomfortable that society is evolving love hyping up things like this. Claiming everyone is over using 'racist' and watering down the meaning by doing so. All the while being alleged champions for the genuine poor, homeless, immigrants, if that's to be believed.
    It's another weapon in the arsenal of those trying to bring back the fifties when women knew their place, the church knew best and the 'darkies' were elsewhere.

As sick as you are of the people you think are racist....double down and more....that's how over people are of the use of racist in an argument.

The 50s when women knew their place???? WTF

"darkies"......to use that is kind of disgusting and I am only using it as per your usage.

RoryMac wrote: »
    CSO look to have been on holiday between 2013 & 2017 with the exact same figures for every single country over those years. If these are the figures to be believed it raises more questions than answers

That poster has been caught lying about increasing Nigerian populations here in an attempt to whip up fear. I wouldn’t trust a word he says

Faugheen wrote: »

That includes Irish-Nigerians. Where’s your facts that the Nigerian population has increased?

It doesn’t include Irish Nigerians. The census clearly states that dual nationality are considered Irish.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

What has his or anyone's religion go to do with this?

Grealish is on record saying he's cool with Syrian Christian refugees, it's the Africans who are spongers.

That poster has been caught lying about increasing Nigerian populations here in an attempt to whip up fear. I wouldn’t trust a word he says

I'm looking at the figures for ALL counties in the CSO data on the Journal and EVERY country from 2013 - 2016 is exactly the same. That can't be correct.

No idea what the other poster said but as I said the CSO figures bring up more questions than answers

CSO say they remitted €17 million in 2011, and the same in 2016.

So did the average remittance increase from €1,000 to €1,300? It just happened to add up to the same total every year?

The CSO figure that our Government is dying in the ditch for is obviously makey up.

It doesn’t include Irish Nigerians. The census clearly states that dual nationality are considered Irish.

It does include Irish-Nigerians.

Nigerian: 6,084
    Irish-Nigerian: 6,995

Both figures found very, very easily on the CSO website when you go to Census 2016.

Any other lies you have there?

• Advertisement

Grealish is on record saying he's cool with Syrian Christian refugees, it's the Africans who are spongers.

What is the unemployment rate of Syrians (if possible even Syrian Christians) v Nigerians in Ireland?

Is it the use of the term sponger that bothers you or the fact that he is highlighting the unemployment rate.

Do not see what this has got to do with his question but you guys are are as fanatical as religious zealots when it comes to your beliefs.

Balf wrote: »
    CSO say they remitted €17 million in 2011, and the same in 2016.

So did the average remittance increase from €1,000 to €1,300? It just happened to add up to the same total every year?

The CSO figure that our Government is dying in the ditch for is obviously makey up.

It’s not ‘makey up’ - it’s estimates based on disposable income in conjunction with the Central Bank and the Revenue.

The World Bank figure came from Nigeria and they used the Nigerian population in Ireland along with the GDP per capita.

Are you saying that the average Nigerian - man, woman and child - was sending 75,000 dollars each back home?

Have some common sense, for Christ’s sake.

Why are the CSO’s figure’s completely wrong? What basis do you have for that? You have ****-all other than you want them to be completely wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

Roversfan1 wrote: »
    What is the unemployment rate of Syrians (if possible even Syrian Christians) v Nigerians in Ireland?

You asked what religion has to do with it, and I told you - Grealish is the type who is fine with Christians, not Africans.

You asked what religion has to do with it, and I told you - Grealish is the type who is fine with Christians, not Africans.

You're mixing me up with someone else....I didn't say that.

Anyway....was it the use of the term sponger or Grealish highlighting the 60% unemployment rate that bothered you with the Nigerians?

What does all this have to do with him querying WB stats I'll never know

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Dante7

Nah, that's the scam.
    People who feel uncomfortable that society is evolving love hyping up things like this. Claiming everyone is over using 'racist' and watering down the meaning by doing so. All the while being alleged champions for the genuine poor, homeless, immigrants, if that's to be believed.
    It's another weapon in the arsenal of those trying to bring back the fifties when women knew their place, the church knew best and the 'darkies' were elsewhere.

When the alleged figure was €10 Billion, you didn't perceive that as being a problem. There will be no woke issue that you will ever acknowledge as being a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭jay0109

How the hell do we have only 15,000 Nigerians or so here when well over 50k have claimed asylum or got in via the anchor baby route before that was closed off, over the past 20 years! And then throw in family reunification on top of that.

15,000 Nigerians ....your having a laugh.

Is this the same CSO which is showing the Chinese population here falling...the only OECD country where this is happening. Jokers

It’s not ‘makey up’ - it’s estimates based on disposable income in conjunction with the Central Bank and the Revenue.

The World Bank figure came from Nigeria and they used the Nigerian population in Ireland along with the GDP per capita.

Are you saying that the average Nigerian - man, woman and child - was sending 75,000 dollars each back home?

Why are the CSO’s figure’s completely wrong? What basis do you have for that? You have ****-all other than you want them to be completely wrong.

If you can't spot a problem in the CSO figures shown on the Journal within a few seconds you have a problem.

Again every country's figures for 2013 - 2016 are exactly the same. The total figure for all countries 2013 - 2016 is exactly the same. A 1% fluctuation either up or down would have made an impact on the baseline figure but we are expected to believe that didn't happen over the course of 4 years.

The CSO figure is obviously wrong as they just cut and paste it from one year to the next. And this business of estimating the portion of migrants income that might be remitted seems very disconnected from actual transactions.

Are you saying we should dismiss the World Bank figure, because its based on information generated by unreliable Africans in the Nigerian Central Bank?

Lots of claims and nothing to back anything up.

I think we’re done here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,385 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Balf wrote: »
    The CSO figure is obviously wrong as they just cut and paste it from one year to the next.

That's what the CSO do. They just cut and paste year after year. That's all they do.

Not like they're actually one of the most accurate institutions in the country, generally speaking, no, they just make **** up for the craic.

Advertisement