Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Noel Grealish

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,899 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

jay0109 wrote: »
    How the hell do we have only 15,000 Nigerians or so here when well over 50k have claimed asylum or got in via the anchor baby route before that was closed off, over the past 20 years! And then throw in family reunification on top of that.

Where on earth are you getting your figures? There are only 190k Nigerian born people in the whole of the UK (and Nigeria is a Commonwealth country).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭jay0109

Strazdas wrote: »
      Where on earth are you getting your figures? There are only 190k Nigerian born people in the whole of the UK (and Nigeria is a Commonwealth country).

Just have a look at the Asylum stats in Ireland over the past 20 years. Who was top of the league table for year after year? And how many were coming in year after year?
      As the Yanks would say....you do the math!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 667 ✭✭✭Balf

That's what the CSO do. They just cut and paste year after year. That's all they do.

Not like they're actually one of the most accurate institutions in the country, generally speaking, no, they just make **** up for the craic.
      And the Nigerian Central Bank haven't a clue? Is that the contention?

And there's no secret. The CSO have concocted this figure.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Just have a look at the Asylum stats in Ireland over the past 20 years. Who was top of the league table for year after year? And how many were coming in year after year?

Get them for me. You make the claim, you provide the proof.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,899 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

There aren't 50k Nigerian asylum seekers in Ireland or anything even remotely close to that number.

• Advertisement
        • Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Balf wrote: »

Yep, the CSO are downplaying everything.

Jesus people would argue the colour of the sky on a sunny day if there were foreigners involved.

Faugheen wrote: »
          Get them for me. You make the claim, you provide the proof.

Aye, I'll do that. You wait right right there and I'll get back to you ;)

There aren't 50k Nigerian asylum seekers in Ireland or anything even remotely close to that number.

I didn't say there are 50k asylum seekers here now. I said at least 50k came here to claim asylum/have a baby over 20 years.
          Do you think they all just magicked up and disappeared out of here leaving just 17k, and falling, behind!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,519 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

Census 2011: 17,000
          Census 2016: 13,000

That includes Irish-Nigerians. Where’s your facts that the Nigerian population has increased?

Approximately 94,000 people become Irish citizens between 2011 and 2016. Of those over 20% were Nigerian.

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

• Closed Accounts Posts: 667 ✭✭✭Balf

Yep, the CSO are downplaying everything.

Jesus people would argue the colour of the sky on a sunny day if there were foreigners involved.
          No, it is simply a fact that the CSO figure is an indirect estimate.

And that the same figure repeats for several years.

Again, why are you so happy to dismiss information sourced from the Nigerian Central Bank?

• Advertisement
        • Registered Users Posts: 13 LaCosaNausea

Very simple answer everyone. The Africans do a collective community saving system. Basically like a Credit Union based only on trust and the deep roots that trace back to the motherland. Google has more answers. So they Hyper save over 12-24 months and use that money back home where land is cheaper and you get more bang for your buck. Most expect to retire back home.

Now then, how they acquire that money here in Ireland is their own business and not for me to speculate. You're incredibly stupid if you think these people are scroungers...... what they are is opportunistic and I'm alright with that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 693 ✭✭✭The Satanist

Again, why are you so happy to dismiss information sourced from the Nigerian Central Bank?

They obviously have issues trusting Nigerians

Zing

• Registered Users Posts: 7,385 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Before I start, this post is sarcasm. In case the less intelligent amongst you don't realise this.

Just so I'm clear. Nigerians, individually, not trustworthy? Nigerian Central Bank, totally OK? Not only are they Nigerian, but also bankers. Jesus.

The World Bank have, repeatedly, made clear their figures are not actually accurate. There are serious issues with them, acknowledged by the WCB. Grealish used the dodgy ones. But these are the ones that are OK.

OK. Yeah. Grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,422 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Not any more, most asylum seekers get permanent leave to remain after they've beaten down the system with endless appeals.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

Very simple answer everyone. The Africans do a collective community saving system. Basically like a Credit Union based only on trust and the deep roots that trace back to the motherland. Google has more answers. So they Hyper save over 12-24 months and use that money back home where land is cheaper and you get more bang for your buck. Most expect to retire back home.

This is a very stupid post

It’s not ‘makey up’ - it’s estimates based on disposable income in conjunction with the Central Bank and the Revenue.

The World Bank figure came from Nigeria and they used the Nigerian population in Ireland along with the GDP per capita.

Are you saying that the average Nigerian - man, woman and child - was sending 75,000 dollars each back home?

Have some common sense, for Christ’s sake.

Why are the CSO’s figure’s completely wrong? What basis do you have for that? You have ****-all other than you want them to be completely wrong.

The CSO figure is calculated in as indirect a way as the world banks to be honest, so they're is no real evidence to suggest that it is any more reliable. What this debacle has shown is that there is no direct measurement of what could potentially be a large amount of cash leaving our economy, effectively a grey import and that statistics should be more directly measured - if they are to be any more reliable.

What is clear though is that remittance is big business here, every two bit ethnic shop (and more) has facilities for Western Union and/or MoneyGram services

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

Bob Harris wrote: »
          He's only saying what everybody thinks and says privately. As a public figure he puts himself in the firing line when he does but more power to him I say.

Not everybody, thanks very much.

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭overkill602

I am sure not many posters have lived in Africa were males are lazy animals women do all the work.
          The Nigerians may more adventurous than others but corrupt as fcuk there is likely to be criminal activity behind the figures.
          I agree with Noel G but the problem with our immigration is wider especially from Africa is going to be SW driven they have access to internet unlike the previously compared irish during the famine they will never contribute anything like they get
          I am sure there are exceptions but esri figures state clearly they are more likely to be unemployed.
          A common trend for most after, is to use the country of Asylum for what they can get and travel freely between them and their origin.
          Anybody want proof go check….

• Registered Users Posts: 41,080 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Dante7 wrote: »
          So, the reason why the huge amount of money was being sent to Nigeria is explained by inaccurate accounting methods by Nigeria and the World Bank. Great. That explains it. It was obviously a ludicrous amount of money, and the World Bank figures required explaining.

What I find interesting though, is that before this explanation was provided, a lot of people seemed to think that the €10 billion figure didn't require explaining, and that to even question it was racist.

No

Its the fact that a) highlighting is racist because you are saying that black peoples money is dodgy snd white proples money is clean and b) why is this the only fraud that he highlights. He isnt asking why Irish households sent 32million to househoods in ‘offshore financial centres’ in 2018 for example.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

It does include Irish-Nigerians.

Nigerian: 6,084
          Irish-Nigerian: 6,995

Both figures found very, very easily on the CSO website when you go to Census 2016.

Any other lies you have there?

The CSO issued a statement saying that their guesstimate is based on non nationals. Risky move (I think) found that the actual figure of non nationals was 6 thousand and something (same as your figure above?).

The CSO website states clearly that those with dual citizenship are classified as Irish
          https://www.cso.ie/en/releasesandpublications/ep/p-cp7md/p7md/p7anii/

So, they are basing their sums on the belief that not 1 dual national would send money home to their native country once they get Irish citizenship. Surely it should be the opposite? You’re opportunities for work would be less whilst you are awaiting citizenship therefore the amount of monies you could send hone are less. Once your status is confirmed, your opportunities for work increase and ability to earn and send money home is greater.

The CSO stats are as inaccurate as the world banks.

I agree with osauran and someone else who responded to me last night. Noel Grealish did not take the two figures and say “hold on, why is there a huge difference?” He had an agenda. But, none of the other politicians look good either. Leo knew the question was coming and didn’t educate himself either. He went on about Irish sending money home (contradicting how the CSO calculate figures) and did he agree with world bank figures too? Ruth Coppinger just shouted racist and also didn’t have the intelligence to also ask “there’s a serious discrepancy, why?”

If the figures were compiled with a true reflection of the demographic, possibly requesting info from western union, etc and banks, it would probably be found that monies sent home are within a reasonable level anyway. But if the world bank and the CSO are allowed to pull numbers from a hat and governments allowed to use these figures when it suits their agenda then that is wrong.

• Advertisement
        • Registered Users Posts: 9,483 ✭✭✭weisses

davedanon wrote: »
          Not everybody, thanks very much.

FF have the same concerns .. are they racist now as well ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭malinheader

Now then, how they acquire that money here in Ireland is their own business and not for me to speculate. You're incredibly stupid if you think these people are scroungers...... what they are is opportunistic and I'm alright with that.

The only way alot of them will retire back home is when they have our country bled dry and they get no more social welfare or no more scams to be had.
          Some do come to work and pay taxes and I have no problem with this, but why are we handing out social welfare to a huge amount of them. We have enough of our own social welfare for life inhabitants in this country who also scream racism whenever their scams and unlawful lifestyle is investigated.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

Is Noel going to refer the recently attacked sex workers to the revenue to ensure their proceeds are being adequately taxed?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,236 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

weisses wrote: »
          FF have the same concerns .. are they racist now as well ?

Do think Noel is actually concerned or do you think his doubling down on his reelection strategy?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

You might also have noted that very few asylum seekers are successful - and that failed asylum seekers are issued with deportation orders. Do that math.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

mariaalice wrote: »
            He is allowed to question anything he wants that is of concern to his constitutions there is always the possibility he was not being raisist but I doubt it, but it does have to have a context would there be many Nigerians living in west Galway for example, is how much Nigerians in Ireland send to Nigeria a burning issue locally in west Galway?.

He represents Ireland in the Dail. County Councillors look after local issues.

jackboy wrote: »
            They messed up though. They disputed the unreliable figures by quoting other unreliable figures.

Exactly, they basically came out and said the world bank figures are made up and wrong, our made up figures are right.

alastair wrote: »
            You might also have noted that very few asylum seekers are successful - and that failed asylum seekers are issued with deportation orders. Do that math.

No they don't get deported. Hardly anyone gets deported.

Most get permanent leave to remain after they have exhausted the system.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

No they don't get deported. Hardly anyone gets deported.

Most get permanent leave to remain after they have exhausted the system.

That Waterford FC soccer player who was convicted of rape was deported.

• Advertisement

Only a ‘hatchet job’ when the argument doesn’t suit your narrative.

Are you actually arguing with facts now?

Go outside. Seriously, you have little to be at if you’re starting to spread the ‘fake news’ spiel.

Before you start, the simple fact you have ‘factcheck’ in quotations is enough for me to conclude that you believe it’s nonsense.

You know the CSO figures aren’t factual. So give up your bull****.

Advertisement