Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Noel Grealish

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Stop moaning ffs

50,000 Nigerians, seems about right.

Last census I could find said 17,000 Nigerians here. Works out at each of them sending rightly €1000 pa. Under €20 a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭I Am The Law

Last census I could find said 17,000 Nigerians here. Works out at each of them sending rightly €1000 pa. Under €20 a week.

Eh... 17,000 filled out the census form you mean.

• Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭ollkiller

Because in the World Bank figures, they were sending a lot more than anyone else. Would be a bit stupid picking the country with the 2nd highest amount of remittances, no?

Is that the World Bank figures that the World Bank themselves said are not reliable. BTW he got the figures from the CSO weeks ago but didn't use them. Sneaky sneaky.

Eh... 17,000 filled out the census form you mean.

Its now only 13,000 now apparently.

Journal fact checked Grealish claim and found it to be false.

FactCheck: No, €3.5 billion was not sent to Nigeria by people living in Ireland over the past eight years

https://www.thejournal.ie/noel-grealish-money-sent-from-ireland-to-nigeria-4889805-Nov2019/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

ollkiller wrote: »
    Is that the World Bank figures that the World Bank themselves said are not reliable. BTW he got the figures from the CSO weeks ago but didn't use them. Sneaky sneaky.

The difference between both sets of figure show that he was right to ask the question. We now know that there is no mechanism in place to ensure that all money leaving Ireland is legal and not the proceeds of crime or fraud. What we need now is to find out exactly how much is leaving Ireland and if it is all tax compliant and above board. Well done to Mr Grealish for spotting this flaw and bringing it to the attention of the people of Ireland.

• Advertisement

FactCheck: No, €3.5 billion was not sent to Nigeria by people living in Ireland over the past eight years

https://www.thejournal.ie/noel-grealish-money-sent-from-ireland-to-nigeria-4889805-Nov2019/

From the "fact"check: "Grealish also had access to the more accurate CSO figures."

Absolute spoofers at the Journal.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭enricoh

The journal ' fact checked' it using the cso stab in the dark figures, which if a 12 year old compiled them, I'd say fair enough. Paid professionals on the other hand...

Pay of non-national workers is used to estimate disposable income and to derive a remittance amount

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭malinheader

No point anyone asking what people think is the right figure. The snow flakes in government will not try to get a real answer in fear of something coming back that they will have to act on. And we all know that getting the truth if it's not politically correct or for the good of multiculturalism would be hard to get.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

It was a racist dog whistle. Let’s be honest.
    That you deny that it was says it all.

"racist dog whistle" is a political term of the left, thrown around like confetti these days

It’s be said here many times but I’ll ask you.....

How did the CSO work out their figure?

• Advertisement

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    "racist dog whistle" is a political term of the left, thrown around like confetti these days

Like sjw and leftists and libtards

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

So you think people observed a pedophile ring and thought they better say nowt for fear of being called racist? :):)

Thanks for proving my point by the way.
    This is the kind of quality support Grealish is attracting and he seems happy enough.

Well the one time shadow home secretary did not hold your opinion.
    “I know in Rotherham I have met frontline social workers who when, we are talking 10 years ago now, when they were trying to report this crime were sent on race relations courses, they weren told they were going to have disciplinary action if they didn’t remove the fact that they were identifying the person as a Pakistani male.

“This is still going on in our towns now, I know it is still going on, but we are still not addressing it.”

Ms Champion said that every time she spoke about the issue “the level of Islamophobia increases” and that she would be attacked for her comments.

She said: “Absolutely and from both sides, the far right will attack me for not doing enough, the floppy left will have a go at me for being a racist.

And she was also able to foretell what the liberal gimps would call her for stating these facts.

Also Jayne Senior a social worker from Rotherham details how she was officially challenged for highlighting what was going on.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/books/what-to-read/rotherham-whistleblower-explains-why-sex-abuse-ring-was-covered/
    Broken and Betrayed is an account of the Rotherham abuse scandal by the key whistleblower, Jayne Senior. Last month three drug-dealing brothers – known locally as Mad Ash, Bash and Bono Hussain – were convicted of offences going back to 1997. The time scale, the severity of the crimes and the sheer number of victims are so staggering that even after three official reports the affair is far from over.

Rotherham’s investigation put the number of victims at 1,400, “all barely pubescent”. Senior spent 13 years working for a Rotherham council-funded programme aimed at identifying children at risk of sexual exploitation and she estimates there are more than 1,700 victims: this in a town of just 250,000. As of now, eight men of Pakistani origin and two white women have been convicted of abuse; five in 2010 after an investigation prompted by Senior; and, this year, the Hussain brothers’ circle, also on evidence collected by Senior’s team in 2002.

Yet it is not the severity of the crimes, nor the paucity of convictions that make the affair a scandal. It is the cover-up. Senior repeatedly found warnings went unheeded, evidence was destroyed and, when her team gave information to outside police forces, she was reprimanded and accused of distortion and unprofessionalism.

The first cover-up came in 2002. An academic named Adele Gladman had been seconded to Senior’s team, where she collated existing files to show the weight of evidence that already existed against the Hussain brothers. Gladman shared her report with the council, and local and South Yorkshire police commanders, with the result that social services raided Senior’s office and confiscated the files. Gladman was sacked.

There is still no satisfactory answer as to why so many of Rotherham’s institutions behaved so badly. The MP until 2012 was Dennis MacShane, who resigned after being imprisoned for expenses abuses. Senior alleges that she wrote MacShane a briefing paper on the issues, ahead of a conference they both attended on child grooming. So she was upset when he later claimed on BBC radio that no one came to him directly with a problem. MacShane also stated that though he may have been guilty of “doing too little”, he added that “there was a cultural issue of not wanting to rock the multicultural boat”.

So care to withdraw your remarks that authorities and police knew and yet did nothing because of fear of being labeled racists and they only sanctioned those raising the concerns and the evidence ?

I am not allowed discuss …

“These are people that are coming over here from Africa to . . . to sponge off the system here in Ireland, ” Noel Grealish told the meeting.

No. Hes not a racist at all

Noel Grealish knew exactly what he was doing
    Comments in the Dáil about ‘astronomical’ sums sent to Nigeria were prepared and scripted’

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/noel-grealish-knew-exactly-what-he-was-doing-1.4082100

“These are people that are coming over here from Africa to . . . to sponge off the system here in Ireland, ” Noel Grealish told the meeting.

Comments in the D about ‘astronomical’ sums sent to Nigeria were prepared and scripted’

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/noel-grealish-knew-exactly-what-he-was-doing-1.4082100

Wrong thread. This is about remittances to other countries. You seem to be getting desperate now.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭sk8erboii

Comments in the Dáil about ‘astronomical’ sums sent to Nigeria were prepared and scripted’

Yes. Anyone with half a brain saw the populist strongman tactic. Its been the same for thousands of years: Blame a group of people and give false figures. Idiots eat it up. They want to believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

sk8erboii wrote: »
    Yes. Anyone with half a brain saw the populist strongman tactic. Its been the same for thousands of years: Blame a group of people and give false figures. Idiots eat it up. They want to believe.

What are the correct figures?

Wrong thread. This is about remittances to other countries. You seem to be getting desperate now.

I’m not at all.
    You’re denying the evidence of your own eyes and ears. The figures involved aren’t the point. His messaging is.

He had a hand in stopping a DP center getting built, he whipped up a racist fervor among his constituents and is following up on that to see himself re-elected.

That’s really all there is to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭enricoh

I’m not at all.
    You’re denying the evidence of your own eyes and ears. The figures involved aren’t the point. His messaging is.

He had a hand in stopping a DP center getting built, he whipped up a racist fervor among his constituents and is following up on that to see himself re-elected.

That’s really all there is to it.

Surely he'll be voted out at the next election so. Dont we all want asylum spoofers housed next to us n then given full welfare and a gaff after their stint in direct provision?!

• Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭ollkiller

The difference between both sets of figure show that he was right to ask the question. We now know that there is no mechanism in place to ensure that all money leaving Ireland is legal and not the proceeds of crime or fraud. What we need now is to find out exactly how much is leaving Ireland and if it is all tax compliant and above board. Well done to Mr Grealish for spotting this flaw and bringing it to the attention of the people of Ireland.

Do you think the figure is closer to the CSO figures or the World Bank. Seriously? Mr Grealish would be better served trying to get better services in place for his constituents regarding housing and health rather than doing blatant rabble rousing nonsense. Cause that's exactly what he's doing.

ollkiller wrote: »
    Do you think the figure is closer to the CSO figures or the World Bank. Seriously? Mr Grealish would be better served trying to get better services in place for his constituents regarding housing and health rather than doing blatant rabble rousing nonsense. Cause that's exactly what he's doing.

I don't know, no one does. I'd welcome an investigation to get a true figure.

As regards the bolded bit, Mr Grealish is a TD, not a County Councillor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

enricoh wrote: »
    Surely he'll be voted out at the next election so. Dont we all want asylum spoofers housed next to us n then given full welfare and a gaff after their stint in direct provision?!
    There were a good few Indos there in the last election, he's been a TD since 2002 and he gets 10%+ of the FPV vote. Unless people get really annoyed with him, he'll be back.

I don't know, no one does. I'd welcome an investigation to get a true figure.

As regards the bolded bit, Mr Grealish is a TD, not a County Councillor.

TD in title, councillor in behaviour!

• Registered Users Posts: 40,236 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

The likes of this poster showed their true intentions when they launched vicious attacks of a personal nature against deputy Grealish. Best ignored.

Okay I am sorry I called the racist little bollíx bald.

I didn't know jesting about someones hair follicles was racist.
    I also invited the poster to upload their own photo so that we can have open season and make personal comments on their own appearance but all we got was silence and tumbleweed

For the last time I'm not sending you a picture of me.

Please don't ask again.

Are people here actually defending him?

Really?

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Are people here actually defending him?

Really?

Why are you surprised?

Same people are downplaying the stalking on six female journalists

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭malinheader

is_that_so wrote: »
    TD in title, councillor in behaviour!

Pity there's not more like him.

Faugheen wrote: »
    Why are you surprised?

Same people are downplaying the stalking on six female journalists

Are you serious??

There’s a certain type here on boards for sure. They always seem to flock at speed to defend the utterly wrong position whenever they can.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,889 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

JeffKenna wrote: »
    What are the correct figures?

this gets to the heart of the matter

what does it matter?

people are entitled to send money back to their families abroad....full stop

if there is criminality or scams or money laundering going on here it should be fully investigated and clamped down on regardless of the nationality of the people involved

end of story

Pity there's not more like him.
    There are, Mattie and the pair from Kerry. Ruth and RBB have their moments and there's Paul Murphy of course!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,971 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Are you serious??

There’s a certain type here on boards for sure. They always seem to flock at speed to defend the utterly wrong position whenever they can.

Utterly wrong position? Are people not allowed to have differing opinions any more?

Advertisement