Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Noel Grealish

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Harvey Weinstein

JJayoo wrote: »
    When it comes to the drug related crime I would be surprised if any other group operated without some input/payment to the Kinneghans

I've changed my mind and you can disregard that post.
    3.4 billion is a lot of money, I seriously doubt the Kinahans have made even a fraction of that amount.
    Also it doesn't seem possible in any way that its simply welfare scammers..the numbers in this regard don't add up. I don't believe 3+ billion was scammed from welfare, thats far too much money to be realistic.
    Of course the idiotic progressives are far too stupid to see anything beyond race and racism so they get hysterical when any charge is levelled against non whites and fail to see the bigger picture.
    something else is going on here in my opinion and the racism angle is a deliberate red herring to distract people from the real issue which is probably a massive international money laundering operation which the Govt are terrified of being revealed.
    They want people to focus on the racism angle..classic distraction.

I'm not saying the Govt are involved but they won't want anything like that to be exposed as going on under their watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,800 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

SafeSurfer wrote: »
    An answer to a written Dail question in October seems to blow Grealish’s figures out of the water. Average remittances to Nigeria in the order of €17 million. Mentioned just now on the Tonight Show.

Leo said the Albanians and Georgians were a bit dodgy last week.
    Can we believe him?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    That's worth looking into tbh given the high number of unemployed Nigerians or some of them that are doing a bit sharing a taxi between 3 keeping the car on the road 24/7.
    It is worth looking into.
    The figures are way out of whack with under 20,000 Nigerians including children here (excluding those with Irish citizenship which wouldn't be much more I assume) with a reported employment rate of 45%

I remember this being reported a few years ago but nothing came of it, only eyebrows were raised.

All the govt has to do is ask whoever is responsible to investigate it and come back to our parliament and state the outcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭dd973

The 1950's to 1980's people who moved to the UK sent back millions in remittances however it's never been fully acknowledged due to their image deficit, they're associated with being 'working class', working in construction in places like Cricklewood and Birmingham, they're a bit too rural, a bit too GAA and Catholic Church, they had English accented children whom are haughtily and arrogantly dismissed as 'British' even if they're Irish citizens. They're a bit too close to home and know a bit too much unlike the heroes who went to the States or Australia whom are romanticised.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,890 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

The story of €500m being sent to Nigeria from Ireland every year via Irish banks and Western Union sounds scarcely plausible or believable. Such numbers would be setting all sorts of alarm bells ringing throughout the system (€10m a week!).

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭sabat

Strazdas wrote: »
    The story of €500m being sent to Nigeria from Ireland every year via Irish banks and Western Union sounds scarcely plausible or believable. Such numbers would be setting all sorts of alarm bells ringing throughout the system (€10m a week!).

And remember that, if this is legitimate taxed income as the government are saying, the original amount earned would be be higher again still. IE: Netted back up to what should be a pre higher-rate (anyone sending that much must be liable for the higher rate) taxed figure. So we are talking conservatively, if this is indeed legal taxed money, €700M+ in income.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

Corholio wrote: »

Not to speak in defense of Grealish, but in that Twitter thread, the above economist conceeds the CSO data is derived from modelling and estimates of income, and as such we probably shouldn't regard his figures as 'hard data'. He calls the World Bank figures that Grealish uses as 'questiobable,' yet is happy to wheel out the CSO data which has its own problems to burnish a political point.

It's head in the sand stuff to deny that a lot of our undocumented are working in the black or grey economy and are remitting untaxed income to their home countries. It's not every immigrant, but let's not pretend it doesn't happen.

IBEC have been consistently more or less open borders advocates for many years. Recently, the put out a press release saying the 30k minimum salary for critical skills visa was 'too high'. That kind of shows you where they're at.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Is Gerard Brady not validating the Grealish question? Why would there be such a difference between estimates derived by income (CSO) and the World Bank figures?

• Registered Users Posts: 41,080 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

950 Euro each per year? Whats all the hysteria about then?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 667 ✭✭✭lola85

Yeah that chart looks dodgy.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Is Gerard Brady not validating the Grealish question? Why would there be such a difference between estimates derived by income (CSO) and the World Bank figures?

Do the CSO release the raw data and methodologybehind their stats?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,867 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

TD asks reasonable question given what seems to be an oddity in the figures.

Asks if controls are in place to ensure nothing untoward happening.

Is immediately branded racist because some of the people involved have a different skin colour :rolleyes:

Newstalk discussing it now.. Susan trying to suggest that while it's a fair question, he was just being a big racist and shouldn't have asked it publicly like that but gone to the authorities with his concerns.

Ireland 2019!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,602 ✭✭✭✭kippy

dd973 wrote: »
    The 1950's to 1980's people who moved to the UK sent back millions in remittances however it's never been fully acknowledged due to their image deficit, they're associated with being 'working class', working in construction in places like Cricklewood and Birmingham, they're a bit too rural, a bit too GAA and Catholic Church, they had English accented children whom are haughtily and arrogantly dismissed as 'British' even if they're Irish citizens. They're a bit too close to home and know a bit too much unlike the heroes who went to the States or Australia whom are romanticised.

These people are not treated like that where I am from, but I don't see what any of that has to do with the thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,602 ✭✭✭✭kippy

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    TD asks reasonable question given what seems to be an oddity in the figures.

Asks if controls are in place to ensure nothing untoward happening.

Is immediately branded racist because some of the people involved have a different skin colour :rolleyes:

Newstalk discussing it now.. Susan trying to suggest that while it's a fair question, he was just being a big racist and shouldn't have asked it publicly like that but gone to the authorities with his concerns.

Ireland 2019!
    Exactly.
    TD's should be able ask these questions in case:
    1. There's an issue with the accuracy of the figures/methodology/how the figures are arrived at.
    2. There is a genuine question around why the figures are so out of kilter with logic.

Who knows whether he has raised this "privately" already and gotten nowhere?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

Chief economist with IBEC

Ignoring Grealish for a second I would take anything IBEC say with a pinch of salt. I have dealt with IBEC many times and I find them to be utter wafflers.

Newstalk being as "impartial" on this as usual - admitted that many texters agree with him, but have 2 reps from immigrant groups on in 20 minutes to complain about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,764 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

If he has a pop at travellers next he could push for MEP/President.

Not combining Travellers with Foreigners was Caseys mistake.

Hell maybe throw in climate change denial to get all the offended behind him!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

Paschal just said these remittance figures are difficult to 'model'. Grealish needs to publish his numbers from the world bank.

Bambi wrote: »
    Do the CSO release the raw data and methodologybehind their stats?

There is a bit of a blurb on it in one of the Tweets - basically its an estimate based on modelling.

I dont really understand why some massive countries with a large presence in Ireland werent included in the CSO Table

• Advertisement

Paschal just said these remittance figures are difficult to 'model'. Grealish needs to publish his numbers from the world bank.

Wouldnt that be on the World Bank? Its not like the figures are secret - https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/nigerians-send-nearly-500m-a-year-home-from-ireland-29278045.html

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

There is a bit of a blurb on it in one of the Tweets - basically its an estimate based on modelling.

I dont really understand why some massive countries with a large presence in Ireland werent included in the CSO Table

Central Spin Office is why :D

These are the boys who told us that they'd thoroughly tested the shiny new calculating machines they bought off the yanks and there was no way or census data was being compromised

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

€26k per year per person, including children. Absolute madness!! How much would you have to earn to be able to save €26k, while paying the cost of living here, and have kids??

And our representatives are AGAINST looking into this!!!!

Whoa! - if these sums are even remotely accurate, then there's something seriously wrong here. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 25,356 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Pascal Donohoe reading the FG script on Newstalk
    practically labelling Grealish a racist for mentioning Nigerians

pjohnson wrote: »
    If he has a pop at travellers next he could push for MEP/President.

Not combining Travellers with Foreigners was Caseys mistake.

Hell maybe throw in climate change denial to get all the offended behind him!

You know what I'm offended by?

People like you and the nonsense insinuations that anyone who questions or says something not "on message" must be racist, xenophobic, offended or whatever other term ye try to deflect from what is yet again a perfectly reasonable question.

All the Twitter and Facebook "likes" and virtue signalling kudos in the world won't solve the genuine concerns and issues that surround many of these "forbidden" topics.

If you want to counter the points raised, try and do it without the nonsense. People might actually take you seriously.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

The Irish Independent's headline this morning:
    "TD accused of racism after questioning 'astronomical' amount of money sent from Ireland to Nigeria".
    The Irish Examiner's headline: "Grealish accused of 'disgraceful racism' as TD targets migrants in Dáil."

Any independence that the Examiner had prior to being bought by the Irish Times is now gone. It sold its soul ........... and its ability to report impartially. Asking questions on the illogical amount of money being sent to Nigeria is now deemed as "targeting" migrants. I am surprised that Charlie Flanagan did not have Grealish arrested under the proposed new hate laws to silence this type of questioning.

Remember the good auld days when Nigerians came to Ireland in their thousands and received asylum almost automatically, and then had their Irish-worker-supplied welfare payments directly deposited into banks in Nigeria?
    We were being scammed then, and we are being scammed now, and still the liberal politicians in Ireland will shut down any questioning of their policies that allows this to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Grealish is on the money yet again

• Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭Green Peter

I'm in his constituency and he'll be getting my No 1 for the first time , we need more people like him who call a spade a spade and less of this political correctness crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭BobMc

No problem with this query at all, its not a race thing IMO, if its fact I dont care which country or colour of your skin, but
    If you can afford to send that volume of money out its a legitimate question to question its origin, either tax paid or ill gotten matter not nor does your race. But as usual they want to turn it into a race thing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,704 ✭✭✭zimmermania

Let's hope he loses his seat.

Advertisement