Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Noel Grealish

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭riemann

Some 'professor' from UCD on rte not exactly putting her best foot forward.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭riemann

Let's hope he loses his seat.

You're going to be disappointed.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

Let's hope he loses his seat.

Not a hope in hell.

Seriously zero.

He has a strong core of votes already. This story will only bring him more votes.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

BobMc wrote: »
    No problem with this query at all, its not a race thing IMO, if its fact I dont care which country or colour of your skin, but
    If you can afford to send that volume of money out its a legitimate question to question its origin, either tax paid or ill gotten matter not nor does your race. But as usual they want to turn it into a race thing

Nigerians have an over 78% unemployment rate here, between export of tangible goods like cars, car parts and electronics and the money thered want to he a few nigerian millionaires sending back all of their money to be overrepresenting to make that average of 41k per person anything more than evidence that pur welfare money and criminal gains are being funneled out of the state.

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭rdwight

zell12 wrote: »
    Pascal Donohoe reading the FG script on Newstalk
    practically labelling Grealish a racist for mentioning Nigerians

Disappointing from Donohoe. He said CSO "modelled" remittances of only €17m to Nigeria and that it was up to Grealish to explain where his figures came from.

Grealish's figures come from World Bank estimate and are easily accessible. The discrepancy between the WB figures and the CSO needs to be explained and I would have expected a numbers man like Donohoe to be interested in doing that.

If it turns out CSO figures are correct we can all calm down and look for other issues to be outraged by.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

Tapdancing Christ they had Ebun Joseph on Morning Ireland talking about Grealish. For don't know who she is; basically her chief talents in life appear to be being African in a predominantly white country, and operating a line in creepy self-help gurudom.

"Ultimate Power - being an unforgettable woman seminar - coming to a down-market Midlands hotel function room near you."

Oh, and to boot, she coordinates Ireland's first 'black studies' programme at the UCD School of Social Justice. A wasps nest of mentalers that RTE have on speed-dial for some reason.

Anyway, not sure who's worse, Grealish or her.

Where did the CSO get their figures from? Have they published the source of their data?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

I'm in his constituency and he'll be getting my No 1 for the first time , we need more people like him who call a spade a spade and less of this political correctness crap.
    I've being saying it for the last couple of years that since the traditional parties in Ireland have completely let us down (us = workers/contributors in Ireland), then we should vote independent until such time a party that represents the voice of the majority is formed or evolve from the group of independents.

And I'm not talking only about the issues derived from the defacto open borders that we have here in Ireland, but the complete failure of the HSE, the disassociation of the judiciary and criminal justice system of the true nature of criminality in Ireland, and the systemic corruption that allows the rural broadband program and Children's Hospital projects to proceed.

To fight back against this drive by liberal politicians to destroy our country is to vote independent at the next election.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Where did the CSO get their figures from? Have they published the source of their data?

Please tell me youre not questioning the validity of the CSO because it produces a result that shows things you don’t like ?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,356 ✭✭✭✭zell12

This is the view from six years ago, emanating from this news report
    spsqGHf.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭rdwight

This is the view from six years ago, emanating from this news report
    spsqGHf.jpg

This is more the kind of response I would have hoped for from Donohoe.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,971 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

SafeSurfer wrote: »
    An answer to a written Dail question in October seems to blow Grealish’s figures out of the water. Average remittances to Nigeria in the order of €17 million. Mentioned just now on the Tonight Show.
    Wouldnt that be on the World Bank? Its not like the figures are secret - https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/nigerians-send-nearly-500m-a-year-home-from-ireland-29278045.html

So there is a discrepancy between the funds that Ireland records leaving the country and going to Nigeria and the funds that the World Bank records as arriving in Nigeria from Ireland.

Why? That is the real question. Some on the radio this morning have tried to suggest it is Nigerian companies repatriating profits. I struggle to see any Nigerian company with such a presence in the Irish market that it would be repatriating that amount of money.

There are two other possibilities.

One is the money-laundering one. Nigeria is a big problem when it comes to money-laundering. Our banks will have let us down again if they are responsible for facilitating international money-laundering.

The second possibility is the Irish cash economy. Nigerians aren't the only group taking part in this. We Irish have many people involved in the cash economy. Taxes aren't paid, social welfare is claimed by people with cash income etc. The cash economy may be a lot bigger than most of us suspect.

Nobody wants Ireland to be associated with either international money-laundering or a significant cash economy. Because Noel Grealish has form (and probably hasn't considered the two possibilities I mention), it is easier to target him as a racist rather than confront the underlying causes of the discrepancy.

My own guess is that the discrepancy is a combination of both those possibilities. Our banks are wittingly or unwittingly facilitating international money-laundering and the CSO are failing to get a clear grasp of the size of the Irish cash economy. In the case of the former, it is a minority of Nigerians and others involved in money-laundering and a particular nationality shouldn't be labelled as a result. In the case of the latter, the cash economy is something that immigrants have exploited but it has always been here, just getting bigger on the back of exploitation of immigrants. Sure, there are Nigerians and other nationalities involved, but it is a homegrown problem.

Please tell me youre not questioning the validity of the CSO because it produces a result that shows things you don’t like ?

I get a phone call from the cso every 3 months for the last year. I think I have one phone call left. They ask me questions, I tell them my answers and I think sometime in the future what I have told them will be used as a statistic.

I could tell them anything tbh, it’s not checked. Actually, my personal circumstance isn’t even on their list of options (I went on carers leave in 2017. Carers leave up now but I’m still full time carer), Its either employed, unemployed, student or stay at home and I’m none of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Kivaro wrote: »
    I've being saying it for the last couple of years that since the traditional parties in Ireland have completely let us down (us = workers/contributors in Ireland), then we should vote independent until such time a party that represents the voice of the majority is formed or evolve from the group of independents.

And I'm not talking only about the issues derived from the defacto open borders that we have here in Ireland, but the complete failure of the HSE, the disassociation of the judiciary and criminal justice system of the true nature of criminality in Ireland, and the systemic corruption that allows the rural broadband program and Children's Hospital projects to proceed.

To fight back against this drive by liberal politicians to destroy our country is to vote independent at the next election.

There ends a party political broadcast on behalf of perpetually self-righteous! A monkey house would get more done than a Dail full of Indos! They can't agree on anything beyond what will get them reelected. Most Indo candidates are deluded malcontents.

I get a phone call from the cso every 3 months for the last year. I think I have one phone call left. They ask me questions, I tell them my answers and I think sometime in the future what I have told them will be used as a statistic.

I could tell them anything tbh, it’s not checked. Actually, my personal circumstance isn’t even on their list of options (I went on carers leave in 2017. Carers leave up now but I’m still full time carer), Its either employed, unemployed, student or stay at home and I’m none of them.
    So, on the basis of a single survey you're dismissing everything the CSO produces in favour of a gombeen politician who thinks he may be on to something?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,356 ✭✭✭✭zell12

is_that_so wrote: »
    There ends a party political broadcast on behalf of perpetually self-righteous! A monkey house would get more done than a Dail full of Indos! They can't agree on anything beyond what will get them reelected. Most Indo candidates are deluded malcontents.
    They are elected to represent the people in our incredibly fair voting system.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,422 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    I see some of the weasels in the Social Democrats @Owen Hanley calling out racism once again at Noel Grealish and being endorsed by party leadership

The Social Democrats really had a chance to make some ground on the top 2 Parties and they are blowing it badly this year. Very disappointed in them. They are looking quite fractured with members taking very different stances on policy.
    That shower of clowns can't even agree on who leads their party, so is it any wonder that they're all inventing policy?!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,764 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    You know what I'm offended by?

People like you and the nonsense insinuations that anyone who questions or says something not "on message" must be racist, xenophobic, offended or whatever other term ye try to deflect from what is yet again a perfectly reasonable question.

All the Twitter and Facebook "likes" and virtue signalling kudos in the world won't solve the genuine concerns and issues that surround many of these "forbidden" topics.

If you want to counter the points raised, try and do it without the nonsense. People might actually take you seriously.

Sorry if I hurt your feelings

So, on the basis of a single survey you're dismissing everything the CSO produces in favour of a gombeen politician who thinks he may be on to something?

No. I asked where their data comes from. Is that really too much to ask?

They are elected to represent the people in our incredibly fair voting system.
    They are elected to do two things: please their voters and to serve the country. Indos tend to fail spectacularly on the second one.

• Advertisement

No, just as long as you ask where his comes from and just how reliable it is. You seem to be unquestioningly siding with his interpretation.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

And yet again the left show their racism - seems if you have dark skin you can;t possibly be involved in illegal activities.

So ironic that they are the racist ones here, treating people differently based on their skin colour is text book racism.

How the left have fallen.

And yet again the left show their racism - seems if you have dark skin you can;t possibly be involved in illegal activities.

So ironic that they are the racist ones here, treating people differently based on their skin colour is text book racism.

How the left have fallen.
    The man made an unsubstantiated blanket claim and then excused all bar one country.

No, just as long as you ask where his comes from and just how reliable it is. You seem to be unquestioningly siding with his interpretation.

I’d like to compare both if that ok with you.

Do you know how the cso get their figure? I don’t understand what “model” means.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,889 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

I think the more obvious issue is that Deputy Grealish is commenting based on figures that are basically a guess based on no data at all

The PQ answer from then Minister Noonan posted clearly shows the issues with the figures

Deputy Grealish ignored the CSO figures and used the other dodgy figures as it suited his agenda best

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

I suspect that Grealish has done his homework and his figures are correct. Why else would he be shot down without his figures being refuted?

Surely if this was all above board, then Leo, the loony left et al should be really pushing for a full and thorough investigation to completely discredit Grealish. Stone cold evidence would really show him up, if it existed, surely??

Or are they afraid that he will be vindicated??

Riskymove wrote: »
    I think the more obvious issue is that Deputy Grealish is commenting based on figures that are basically a guess based on no data at all

The PQ answer from then Minister Noonan posted clearly shows the issues with the figures

Deputy Grealish ignored the CSO figures and used the other dodgy figures as it suited his agenda best

I didn’t see the news yesterday. Did Leo respond saying “I refer to Minister Noonan’s response on x date and further investigations since have found y”?

What actually happened yesterday?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

JJayoo wrote: »
    You are racist scum, those Nigerian children earned that 26k

They'd have to earn a hell of a lot more to be sending back €26k tax paid and after living expenses. How many Nigerian newborns are on €80k+??

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Riskymove wrote: »

No the data is there, the World Bank published it - is the World Bank dodgy now?

Why wasnt the Noonan response just given yesterday, instead of instant cries of "racist"?

Crying racist is a default response from those who dont have an answer - no debate, no logic, just an accusation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭ollkiller

I'm in his constituency and he'll be getting my No 1 for the first time , we need more people like him who call a spade a spade and less of this political correctness crap.

Not having a go at you per se but when i vote for a politician i look at their policies and see which one aligns with mine the most. This crap of i'll vote for him because he speaks his mind. Christ above go into any local pub and you have idiots speaking their mind. But then again i'm living in fairy land when i think people should vote for policies not people when people in Ireland vote for who looks good on a feckin poster.

Advertisement