Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Verso starting problem

• 12-11-2019 8:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭

Hi
    I am having an intermittent problem when starting my car.
    It's a 09 Toyota Corolla verso 2.2d.
    It has a push button start.
    It starts fine most of the time within a second of the button being pressed
    But now and then the engine turns over and over and it takes up to 10 seconds to start.
    It happens when it is cold.
    I am going to take it to my mechanic but can't show him the problem as it's fine when the engine is warmed up.
    Any ideas please?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Could be fuel rail pressure sensor, does it show any faults or lights?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Cold weather affects the battery
    This guy needed a new starter motor

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭shovel

No warning lights.
    definitely not a battery issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Pekarirska

Start with the battery as it's the most common issue. Turn the lights on then press the start button. Does it prolong cranking or even stops it completely? Do lights dim? Week battery will loose voltage under pressure and/or with time. Will typically happen on cold mornings. Less common during the day or at the mechanic as the battery gets recharged. Might be worth checking voltage under those stress conditions. However with time, the battery will need replacing.

Check cables going out of the battery. There's a huge amount of current needed to start the engine and any corrosion or loose connections will cause intermittent trouble. Follow both thick cables that come out of the battery and make sure that their thickness is maintained all the time.

Plus (red) battery cable leads to the starter. If you gently tap the starter with a metal rod or a hammer the brushes might re-allign. If that solves the cranking issue then it's the starter that needs replacing.

Advertisement