Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

National school opening times

• 12-11-2019 9:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭

Hi what time do national schools open the door in the morning mind doesn't open till 8 55 and the start time is 9 is that a standard time??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭Mundo7976

Yes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,784 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Drop off time from 8.40 school starts at 8.50. Kids were being dropped off way earlier with no supervision so thems the rules now

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭ruwithme

Hi what time do national schools open the door in the morning mind doesn't open till 8 55 and the start time is 9 is that a standard time??

Ours opens doors at 9.05, school starts at 9.20.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Too many parents using time before school like a creche and legal action if a child falls. Things had to change. Lot of schools now, children will wait outside the gates until 5-10 minutes before classes begin.

All eyes on Kursk. Slava Ukraini.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 478 ✭✭closifer

Ours starts at 8.40 and supervised drop off from 8.30

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭3 the square

Would it be reasonable if I ask the principal to open the door at 8 45 ?? There is several staff members there at that time.

Would it be reasonable if I ask the principal to open the door at 8 45 ?? There is several staff members there at that time.

Ours have to queue up outside in their class lines unless it's raining . It's all to do with supervision.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

They might be unwilling to do extra unpaid work on top of a heavy workload.

All eyes on Kursk. Slava Ukraini.

whelan2 wrote: »
    Ours have to queue up outside in their class lines unless it's raining . It's all to do with supervision.

And what do they do if it's raining??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

No don’t ask. Ask another poster said it is all to do with supervision.

• Advertisement

And what do they do if it's raining??

If it's raining they walk to their own class. Teacher might or might not be there. He's in 6th class mow so wouldn't really need supervision

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Rodin

School doors should be open well before 9

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

Teachers generally come in early before school starts to prepare for the day, photocopy and gather together necessary resources, correct work or carry out other organisational matters.

Millem wrote: »
    No don’t ask. Ask another poster said it is all to do with supervision.

A friend of mine school opens at 20 to 9 for 9 o'clock start
    School in next village opens at 8 45 at the latest for 9 start
    It must be down to the principal other schools must have same issue with insurance and supervision

Ask away. sure they can only say no..is there a parents association you could raise it there first as i doubt your alone in thinking about it.

changes are always enevitable

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,426 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

No

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,254 ✭✭✭✭km79

I was driving past the bank this morning as usual
    Seen some staff inside
    They don’t open at that time but it would suit me better if they would
    Wonder should I go in and ask ..........
    The doctors surgery closes 15 minutes before I get home too
    Wonder if i should ask could they change their opening hours for mess well
    Would ye think it’s reasonable ?

km79 wrote: »
    I was driving past the bank this morning as usual
    Seen some staff inside
    They don’t open at that time but it would suit me better if they would
    Wonder should I go in and ask ..........
    The doctors surgery closes 15 minutes before I get home too
    Wonder if i should ask could they change their opening hours for mess well
    Would ye think it’s reasonable ?
    You won't know unless you ask.tell them everyone else in society is thinking the same as yourself.otherwise the decision making authorities in charge will remain ignorant to everyday realities of life.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Bingoo1

Not sure about the city schools.......but most small country schools now cater for the working mother who has to travel a distance to work and need to drop her child a bit earlier to school. If the school doesn't provide this facility - mothers will enrole their child in another school.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭2xj3hplqgsbkym

Bingoo1 wrote: »
    Not sure about the city schools.......but most small country schools now cater for the working mother who has to travel a distance to work and need to drop her child a bit earlier to school. If the school doesn't provide this facility - mothers will enrole their child in another school

Do these country children have any fathers at all?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭2xj3hplqgsbkym

Sure if you are willing to pay for the supervision service before school. Some schools offer this as well as after school care.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Bingoo1

Well, that debate is for another day

Not sure about the city schools.......but most small country schools now cater for the working mother who has to travel a distance to work and need to drop her child a bit earlier to school. If the school doesn't provide this facility - mothers will enrole their child in another school.

I think most schools hours have changed ours used to start at 9 30 when I went there. Then changed to 9.10. Now starts at 8.50

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

Can you not leave your child into a childminding service that can drop to school at appropriate hour or just stay with your child? Teachers actually have their own work to be doing before school.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,426 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

As if. There isn't a choice in most country areas

whelan2 wrote: »
    I think most schools hours have changed ours used to start at 9 30 when I went there. Then changed to 9.10. Now starts at 8.50

That no good to the OP
    Needs to be 845 .........
    And that’s the point
    Let’s say the school did agree to this one mothers request (because apparently fathers like me do not have any role in this) and moves it back to 845
    That may be 15 minutes too late for another parent
    Can they then ask for an 830 start ?
    I really hope people can see how nonsensical and unreasonable this is ............as I said you can’t go around asking banks, doctors, shops Etc to kpen to suit you but as always there is a different expectations of schools and teachers .

As for the “what if it’s raining “ question from the OP. I believe the OP may have a farm so I’m now questioning if this thread is just a wind up. I nearly hope it is

Now that’s it from me . I’ve to drop the kids to the bank on the way to work . School doesn’t open on time but I’m sure the bank manager will take them in for an hour. Sure he is there anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,615 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

We both work and I drop the kids to school most mornings, as do many fathers, because, ya know, we’re parents too.

National school yard is supervised from 8:50 with school opening at 9:10. They ask not to drop kids before that because it’s unsupervised and as it was out they are not a child minding service.

Usually kids in the yard from 8:35, I usually drop my daughter there at 8:50 amd there would be maybe 40 kids there. If I drop her earlier I’ll wait in the carpark, as do maybe three other parents, until I see someone out on supervision.

As if. There isn't a choice in most country areas
    A friend of mine school opens at 20 to 9 for 9 o'clock start
    School in next village opens at 8 45 at the latest for 9 start
    It must be down to the principal other schools must have same issue with insurance and supervision
    Luckily for the OP she appears to have a choice in the next village that suits her specific 845am start

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hannibal_Smith

With our school, the doors open at 9.20, school starts at 9.30. It's quite late and it is a bit awkward when it comes to drop off and work, but at the other end of the scale it takes the heat off rush hour a bit. Most of the cars are gone before the school run starts.

If its raining we're told not to bring the kids to school until 9.30.

Parents are constantly reminded to not drop and go, that before 9.30 the kids aren't the school's responsibility. Its nice if you can manage to drop your kids to school, but with later starts it is tricky.

Anyway a lot of the time you'll see kids arriving at 9.10, these are non working parents whose child wants to be first in the line. Rain, hail or shine, they'll be there queuing for 20 mins before school starts. I reckon if the school opened the doors at 9.10, they'd be lining up at 8.50am. So teachers can't win.

Sometimes teachers head in early because their commute dictates if they don't get there early, they'll be late. I'd often get to work earlier than my start time, but I have a cup of coffee and a chat in the kitchen before I start. It's a lovely way to settle in to the day. I'd hate if my boss twigged and moved my start time to when I got in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭amor3

My kids school starts at 8.45 with supervision from 8.30 in the yard or hall if raining. You can also avail of a breakfast club service (fee) starting from 7.30.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement