Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it time to say sorry to travellers and give them a few quid for past wrongs?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

I would be happy for each and every traveller to receive a once off tax free payment of €50,000 in reparations once 90% of their children are completing second level education.

But after that, i never want to hear another whinge out of them again. No more special status. They will become normal Irish citizens again.

I'd be ok with that level of reparations if 100 % of male travellers over the age of fifteen agreed to get the snip.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,302 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

I would be happy for each and every traveller to receive a once off tax free payment of €50,000 in reparations once 90% of their children are completing second level education.
    T&C include; children must get all C's in their Leaving Cert.
    Mad_maxx wrote: »
    I'm appalled, you seriously need to attend a twelve week ( tax payer funded) course in diversity and ethnic sensitivity training.
    Does it include such western things as "cooperating with other cultures", and middle east things such as "how to fire an RPG"?
    I'd be ok with that level of reparations if 100 % of male travellers over the age of fifteen 12 agreed to get the snip.
    FTFY.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 418 ✭✭high_king

When are we going to give back the land we robbed off the indigenous Irish (Travelers)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭BumperD

high_king wrote: »
    When are we going to give back the land we robbed off the indigenous Irish (Travelers)

As soon as they give back the farm machinery, livelihoods and lives they robbed from the community supporting them with taxes paid.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 418 ✭✭high_king

BumperD wrote: »
    As soon as they give back the farm machinery, livelihoods and lives they robbed from the community supporting them with taxes paid.

Racist

• Advertisement

high_king wrote: »
    Are you claiming that the travellers once owned land? Did said magical land travel with them when they travelled?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Stop moaning ffs

So it’s not just Muslims you all hate. It’s native Irish.

Right so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭Better Than Christ

Any reparations should be in the form of investment in education - whatever it takes to prevent exclusion (self-imposed or otherwise) and bring that '1 in 10' figure up to '9 in 10'. Like it or not, a child whose parents were deprived of an education inevitably needs additional support.

Hating all Travellers because a Traveller (or even a thousand of them) robbed your lawnmower might make some people feel better, but it changes nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

So it’s not just Muslims you all hate. It’s native Irish.

Right so.

we're not racists, we hate everyone equally

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

Seeing as they're so worried about what people say on Twitter will travellers be paying reparations to the owners of Lidl? John Connors called them (Lidl that is) "cunts" who are "robbing all of us everyday".

DXUOfr1WkAARg6K.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

was it travellers that did that? i thought it was generic knackers ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭skooterblue2

I'd be ok with that level of reparations if 100 % of male travellers over the age of fifteen agreed to get the snip.

I'd be ok with that level of reparations if 100 % of male travellers under the age of fifteen agreed to get the snip.

FYP!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,565 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Here's our favourite ethnic minority showcasing their culture in Cork.
    Background: https://www.echolive.ie/corknews/Teenager-is-jailed-after-hit-and-run-on-Cork-toddler-3d6bd157-27bc-4063-885d-10c33ff60825-ds
    (TLDR: Traveller teenager buys a banger car for €100, goes joyriding around a residential estate and knocks down a toddler (of working parents) and speeds off leaving the child at death's door. Kid has done well but has a permanent brain injury. Teenager was sentenced to four years the other day. According to reports the teenager's family kicked off outside the court. The injured child's house now has armed Gardai patrolling in case of attacks from Travellers.

Here's some Travellers' comments on the whole situation re the sentencing. According to them he only got done because he's a Traveller, the injured kid has nothing wrong with him (eh....no), and his family are only playing it up for money (supposedly they all got new teeth!). Could have happened to anyone apparently!

7-DA8-E895-2862-46-A2-ABBD-6282599-BA4-D8.jpg
    698-C77-F8-4948-45-AC-88-F1-AC5-E9-E3-A798-E.jpg
    Screenshot-20191115-181903-01.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

“What happened to nathan could happen to anyone” “acciddnts happen”
    Jesus christ.

Im struggling to think of reasons we shouldnt just put them all on spike island and forget about them

Seeing as they're so worried about what people say on Twitter will travellers be paying reparations to the owners of Lidl? John Connors called them (Lidl that is) "cunts" who are "robbing all of us everyday".

DXUOfr1WkAARg6K.jpg

Thank you John Connors for reaffirming diversity hiring policies. Great job Pavee Point now we know your official position on things.

So, that's a hard no then.

Anyway, "Travellers" think we are soft touches as it is. They'd split themselves laughing if we gave them reparations (for fuk knows what reason) and would only validate their victim ideation.

100% behind giving them more resources re education. They receive more currently, but a specific fund would be okay.

Jesus christ.

Im struggling to think of reasons we shouldnt just put them all on spike island and forget about them

I am more erring on the side of caution and cost effectiveness. I think it would be easier to employ SS tactics as per used on the eastern front circa 1942.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 886 ✭✭✭NasserShammaz

Background: https://www.echolive.ie/corknews/Teenager-is-jailed-after-hit-and-run-on-Cork-toddler-3d6bd157-27bc-4063-885d-10c33ff60825-ds
    (TLDR: Traveller teenager buys a banger car for €100, goes joyriding around a residential estate and knocks down a toddler (of working parents) and speeds off leaving the child at death's door. Kid has done well but has a permanent brain injury. Teenager was sentenced to four years the other day. According to reports the teenager's family kicked off outside the court. The injured child's house now has armed Gardai patrolling in case of attacks from Travellers.

Here's some Travellers' comments on the whole situation re the sentencing. According to them he only got done because he's a Traveller, the injured kid has nothing wrong with him (eh....no), and his family are only playing it up for money (supposedly they all got new teeth!). Could have happened to anyone apparently!

****ing vermin scum the lot of them has every ****ing one of them scum......

100% behind giving them more resources re education. They receive more currently, but a specific fund would be okay.

What education course do you think you are going to provide that will change 20 generations of inbreeding?

What education course do you think you are going to provide that will change 20 generations of inbreeding?

Course? None, don't be silly. Smaller class sizes, SNAs, people going around making sure they attend school.

Ah, for fuk sake lads, stop with the Nazi final solution/scum shít. I just hope you're trolls.

• Advertisement

Course? None, don't be silly. Smaller class sizes, SNAs, people going around making sure they attend school.

That has been done and they dont work. I was in the secondary school system last year. There is no willingness to progress. There is no support at home for education. When they come into school with settled children doing their best, home work is not done school work is not revised. If I cant work the system then I am going to wreck it, it the attitude

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭Pmacv1

Jesus Christ that's horrible. Although, not unexpected. You just have to look at the literacy levels on display here to understand the actions of Ireland's pea-brained pikeys.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Travellers will have to want to change.

I've wondered why the traveller threads get closed down so quickly. They are like Shít for Troll flies. They just cannot be kept open. It's almost like the trolls don't want these topics discussed. Or is that tinfoil territory?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,565 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

That has been done and they dont work. I was in the secondary school system last year. There is no willingness to progress. There is no support at home for education. When they come into school with settled children doing their best, home work is not done school work is not revised. If I cant work the system then I am going to wreck it, it the attitude

Y'see, this is the problem - yet the powers that be won't acknowledge this. Against my better judgement I read portions of submission by a Traveller apologist group to some official body or other last week. All the facts present and correct - Traveller kids poor educational outcomes etc.......yet entirely framed as being the fault of them being discriminated against. Literally zero acknowledgement that Traveller culture is hostile to education. They even had the cheek to claim that Traveller children are routinely bullied in school - I'm sure many are involved in bullying alright, but not on the receiving end!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

Wow

What an attitude to have. Sad that they actually believe what they posted

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

biko wrote: »

And give up the judicial teflon theyve cultivated where they take everything and take responsibility for nothing, not a chance. Ill be long dead before they as a group do anything to become part of a functioning society

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭zeebre12

it's a pie in the sky idea obviously but what do you think the result of it would be?

90% of travellers educated to leaving cert would see a huge upsurge of engagement in third level education. add that to an end to their special status....

Wouldn't they want to be stupid to get a proper education? I'm sure if they were working 9 to 5 each day they would be able to afford lavish weddings and new cars/vans? Just sit on your are all day and everything will be provided.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,362 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Jesus christ.

It's the perfect plan really.

Lads, we're going to give you an island of your own. You'll be free to govern it as you choose. It will be your own country with your own identity. As part of this, you'll all get passports for your new country. Entry into ireland will require the same restrictions of any non EU national with correct Visa applications to be made but you will be forever free from persecution at the hands of the non native irish. Work for a fair living yourselves amongst your own kind completely free from any kind of discrimination.

Needs a lot more fleshing out of course but definitely something I could get behind if arranged properly. Any government types reading this, I'd be happy to act as consultant. For a small fee of course :)

• Advertisement

biko wrote: »
    Thus far, the carrot approach isn't working.

Advertisement