Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it time to say sorry to travellers and give them a few quid for past wrongs?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,504 ✭✭✭Markcheese

YFlyer wrote: »
    They are oblivious to consequences. Look at that sulky race on the road that was in either Newport or Mallow. Didn't give a fook.

They?
    All travellers were on the Mallow road that day?

I've met travellers who were ****, and I've met settled who were as bad and worse...
    We like to blame all societies woes on a single convenient group... And put all those people in one category... (they're all the same)
    Do some travellers revel in being the big man, (and in not giving a fook, about rules or authorities ),
    Yup...
    That happens with drug gangs in the settled community... With developers and bankers in the 2000s, certain politicians of the same era, its what you could get away with...
    Do we blame all settled people...

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭skooterblue2

Markcheese wrote: »
    They?
    All travellers were on the Mallow road that day?

I've met travellers who were ****, and I've met settled who were as bad and worse...
    We like to blame all societies woes on a single convenient group... And put all those people in one category... (they're all the same)
    Do some travellers revel in being the big man, (and in not giving a fook, about rules or authorities ),
    Yup...
    That happens with drug gangs in the settled community... With developers and bankers in the 2000s, certain politicians of the same era, its what you could get away with...
    Do we blame all settled people...

True true ... but one statistic that I recall from 10 years ago (I doubt much has changed, it certainly hasnt gotten any better). 80% of Traveller males over have criminal records. My interpretation is there are 20% that haven't been caught.

True true ... but one statistic that I recall from 10 years ago (I doubt much has changed, it certainly hasnt gotten any better). 80% of Traveller males over have criminal records. My interpretation is there are 20% that haven't been caught.

Yup, ðŸ˜and the unemployment Stát, and the suicide one mentioned above, and the life expectancy, lack of education...lack of finance and credit (so you'll borrow off someone who doesn't send you polite "your account is overdrawn" letters)
    Its a conveyer belt, not easy to get off of..

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

Yup, ðŸ˜and the unemployment Stát, and the suicide one mentioned above, and the life expectancy, lack of education...lack of finance and credit (so you'll borrow off someone who doesn't send you polite "your account is overdrawn" letters)
    Its a conveyer belt, not easy to get off of..

Load of tosh. Our parents had little education and lived through the 1980's and they had lower levels of crime. Low levels of education and employent is not an excuse. What is an excuse is a society willing to close an eye and call anyone who thinks differently a "bigot" or "racist". In fact from my reckoning that society rewards this behaviour with free houses, priority on college courses and extra grants, SNAs and diversity groups.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,182 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Politicians have been elected on promises to block housing for them.

There is widespread ostracism.

Politicians openly talk about building concentration camps for them.

The European Parliament Committee of Enquiry on Racism and Xenophobia found them to be among the most discriminated-against ethnic groups in Ireland.

Yes its time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Politicians have been elected on promises to block housing for them.

There is widespread ostracism.

Politicians openly talk about building concentration camps for them.

The European Parliament Committee of Enquiry on Racism and Xenophobia found them to be among the most discriminated-against ethnic groups in Ireland.

Yes its time.

Which politicians have been talking about building concentration camps for them ?

Need to know who im voting for next time

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭Pmacv1

I wonder why this is? I mean they work as hard as anybody in Ireland, the pay their taxes, they're courteous and considerate, obey laws, are peace loving and non-violent.

Pmacv1 wrote: »
    I wonder why this is? I mean they work as hard as anybody in Ireland, the pay their taxes, they're courteous and considerate, obey laws, are peace loving and non-violent.

You forgot their numerous awards for excellence in animal care, coupled with the environmental protection policy policed by Pavee Point.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Stop moaning ffs

Muslims
    travelers
    Immigrants
    Climate changers

Am I missing anyone? Is there a boards bingo card for people we don’t like?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 886 ✭✭✭NasserShammaz

Which politicians have been talking about building concentration camps for them ?

Need to know who im voting for next time

No that won't work , travellers have notoriously short attention spans

• Advertisement

Muslims
    travelers
    Immigrants
    Climate changers

Do you think people complaining about travellers is unwarranted?

Muslims
    travelers
    Immigrants
    Climate changers

I think you are the only one on that card. I have worked with many Polish and many eastern European. All of them were sound and kept the law and were educated. Years after I left work I am still in contact with them. I wonder what the difference was.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭paleoperson

Muslims
    travelers
    Immigrants
    Climate changers

There is zero relation between this and any of the others. :confused:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 886 ✭✭✭NasserShammaz

Muslims
    travelers
    Immigrants
    Climate changers

Apparently not talking about things makes them go away...................

Pmacv1 wrote: »
    Do you think people complaining about travellers is unwarranted?

Hard to say. I’ve had far more sh!t encounters off Gardaí than travelers.

I guess it speaks to personal experience. You can be fine with Gardaí/traveler/scaldie from Tallaght until you actually have a bad encounter with them that changes your view.

They don’t affect me either way so I don’t see how ranting about them online archives anything.

There is zero relation between this and any of the others. :confused:

There is if you have a look through the posts of those complaining about any one of the above, are always to be found complaining about all of the others in different threads.

Apparently not talking about things makes them go away...................

Just as ranting about them online vanquishes them
    And saves the world.

It doesn’t.

There is if you have a look through the posts of those complaining about any one of the above, are always to be found complaining about all of the others in different threads.

Not at all. In fact there is little relation.

"Always"? Really? Always? You're going to go with that word when I'm here directly contradicting you, a living proof example that that's not the case?

Hard to say. I’ve had far more sh!t encounters off Gardahan travelers.

I guess it speaks to personal experience. You can be fine with Gardaraveler/scaldie from Tallaght until you actually have a bad encounter with them that changes your view.

They don’t affect me either way so I don’t see how ranting about them online archives anything.

I reckon you don't have a monkies what you're talking about is what I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Muslims
    travelers
    Immigrants
    Climate changers

Things that cost the taxpayer money that it shouldnt and in the case of the top 3 add to violent crimes....

Seems like a valud list

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,974 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

Sorry for what? they choose to be outliers and not a part of society. They also choose when to commit crimes.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,625 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Eric Cartman and NasserShammaz - do not post in this thread again

Not at all. In fact there is little relation.

"Always"? Really? Always? You're going to go with that word when I'm here directly contradicting you, a living proof example that that's not the case?

You can check for yourself. The links are right there when you click the profiles.

Things that cost the taxpayer money that it shouldnt and in the case of the top 3 add to violent crimes....

Seems like a valud list

Edited didn’t see mods post

Sorry for what? they choose to be outliers and not a part of society. They also choose when to commit crimes.

True... So how do you stop them making those crappy decisions, that cost society a packet, and Feic up their communities and continue the cycle...
    (I don't mean apologise and pay compo,)

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

True... So how do you stop them making those crappy decisions, that cost society a packet, and Feic up their communities and continue the cycle...
    (I don't mean apologise and pay compo,)

Ship them all out to Achill.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭pp_me

The end of the article says it all really..
    They also called for an end to reduced timetables, approved to Travellers who have difficulties in school, which they say schools use as an excuse to deal with them less.

Why would the school need an excuse to 'deal with them less' if they behaved the same as all the other children. So even the traveller groups are acknowledging the traveller children are more troublesome than the rest :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭zeebre12

One day I had a really difficult day in work and stopped at Tesco on the way home and what pulls up beside me only travellers in a brand new van and they in their pyjamas. I had to ask myself what am I really doing? It would really piss you off.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 418 ✭✭high_king

zeebre12 wrote: »
    One day I had a really difficult day in work and stopped at Tesco on the way home and what pulls up beside me only travellers in a brand new van and they in their pyjamas. I had to ask myself what am I really doing? It would really piss you off.

Fair play to them. It could only piss a racist off.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭statesaver

high_king wrote: »
    Fair play to them. It could only piss a racist off.

Racist ?????? How can white people be racist to other white people. FFS

Advertisement