Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it time to say sorry to travellers and give them a few quid for past wrongs?

Options
1234568»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,845 ✭✭✭Castlekeeper

I am saying there was a family who were creating trouble in the area. Political pressure was put on local politicians by Phil Hogan to rehouse them. It did not go to plan. I was somewhere else that night and I have nothing to offer on if someone did something about it of if it was an accidental fire. This is clearly an unsafe area for members of the travelling community. Clearly the community did not tolerate it.
    Reads like something out of "Mississippi Burning"! There's a new deep south going by this sort of carry on, a frightening scenario.
    There should be no unsafe areas for members of any community in any kind of civiised society.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭skooterblue2

Reads like something out of "Mississippi Burning"! There's a new deep south going by this sort of carry on, a frightening scenario.
    There should be no unsafe areas for members of any community in any kind of civiised society.

We are not concerned about civilised society, there isnt a problem there. Its the uncivilised society we are talking about.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Stop moaning ffs

I should keep up with home more often.

So they weren’t burnt out by the locals as you suggested. Right.

So they weren’t burnt out by the locals as you suggested. Right.

Well it wasnt the toothfairy that started the fire. There were other issues going on as well. Nobody suggested anything. I no longer live in community I was brought up in. Not all of us get to choose where we live unfortunately. Not that I am saying my current abode isnt nice, south Kilkenny does have its attractions.

Well it wasnt the toothfairy that started the fire. There were other issues going on as well. Nobody suggested anything. I no longer live in community I was brought up in. Not all of us get to choose where we live unfortunately. Not that I am saying my current abode isnt nice, south Kilkenny does have its attractions.

You clearly said it was local action and organized. It as easily might not have been
    Cmon now

• Advertisement

You clearly said it was local action and organized. It as easily might not have been
    Cmon now

My suggestion is you should take a weekend out in South Kilkenny for a fact finding mission and suggest having a halting site in the car park of the church in Piltown/Mooncoin/Mullinavat/Kilmacow. That would be a progressive approach to take in one of the local pubs. You know a certain individual down that way was supplementing the beef industry with equine parts. I am sure he would no problem supplementing the sausage factory with lesser creatures.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,481 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

IMO reparations are something that should go to individuals who have been wronged, not entire groups of people just because they are related by birth, nationality or whatever. For that same reason, I don't think diversity hires or quotas are a good way of correcting general trends because you have to define a group and some, or many people in the group are going to be undeserving. Travellers would fall into this for me.

All that said, some of the stuff in this thread is a little genocidey for my taste.

kowloon wrote: »
    IMO reparations are something that should go to individuals who have been wronged, not entire groups of people just because they are related by birth, nationality or whatever. For that same reason, I don't think diversity hires or quotas are a good way of correcting general trends because you have to define a group and some, or many people in the group are going to be undeserving. Travellers would fall into this for me.

All that said, some of the stuff in this thread is a little genocidey for my taste.

And surely it should be up to the Brits to pay the reparations? It was wot kicked travelers ancestors off the land and evicted them

So every time someone used the words K£$%^er or T%^&*er they get a Euro in the pot? Or anytime they were refused entry into a pub after a funeral.... another €500?

And where is this money going to come from? Is it like the tax they put on the soft drinks to pay for the Boer War, they never took it off afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭pinkyeye

Regarding the FB posts above I have to say I agree with one point. Why on earth was this lad named and not Ana's murderers????

IMHO they did a lot worse than this.

• Advertisement

pinkyeye wrote: »
    Regarding the FB posts above I have to say I agree with one point. Why on earth was this lad named and not Ana's murderers????

IMHO they did a lot worse than this.

Separate issue and different crime, I suppose in comparison to Josef Mengele boy A & B were really all that bad following that logic.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,481 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

So every time someone used the words K£$%^er or T%^&*er they get a Euro in the pot? Or anytime they were refused entry into a pub after a funeral.... another €500?

And where is this money going to come from? Is it like the tax they put on the soft drinks to pay for the Boer War, they never took it off afterwards.

E.G. If someone felt they were fired solely for being a traveller it would be fine for them to get a settlement, just like everyone else, but all people who consider themselves travellers shouldn't get anything regardless of how many other travellers got fired if they never suffered any injustice themselves.

If you can name any benefits of this race other than filling up jail cells, wasting police time, being the bane of social services and a constant source of annoyance for council workers, and a constant source of worry for the rural elderly please inform us.

E.G. If someone felt they were fired solely for being a traveller it would be fine for them to get a settlement, just like everyone else, but all people who consider themselves travellers shouldn't get anything regardless of how many other travellers got fired if they never suffered any injustice themselves.

To get fired you have to be employed first. Check out the Thelma Nadine series on trying to get travellers to work, but getting them to rob anything not nailed down only excites them to the challenge!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭pinkyeye

Thank you John Connors for reaffirming diversity hiring policies. Great job Pavee Point now we know your official position on things.

John Connoors is not Pavee Point and therefore can not confirm their official position?

Don't know why you think he is?

pinkyeye wrote: »
    John Connoors is not Pavee Point and therefore can not confirm their official position?

Don't know why you think he is?

He is a successful "businessman" in the traveller community and they like to roll him out every so often as a model of success.

Jaysis.
    Do yis just walk around hating everyone?

The reaction is a beyond bizarre.

How does it work? Sit on boards all day ranting or actually engage with your community and deal with these issues and express your concerns at every level available to you?

I’ve a very strong feeling I know the true answer sadly.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,691 ✭✭✭corks finest

Just saw an attack and a weapon being used on a little girl,,these animals need locked up - throw away the key- again pavee point worryingly quiet

Jaysis.
    Do yis just walk around hating everyone?

The reaction is a beyond bizarre.

How does it work? Sit on boards all day ranting or actually engage with your community and deal with these issues and express your concerns at every level available to you?

I’ve a very strong feeling I know the true answer sadly.

Boards is the only place we can talk about it. In the work place, facebook, university and other we would be taken out and shot for diversity of thought.

Just saw an attack and a weapon being used on a little girl,,these animals need locked up - throw away the key- again pavee point worryingly quiet

Dont be bothering Pavee point with that non-sense! they only speak when they are victimised or by some miracle one of them gets a PhD in some lame subject like social welfare studies or minority studies.

• Advertisement

Boards is the only place we can talk about it. In the work place, facebook, university and other we would be taken out and shot for diversity of thought.

Diversity of thought.

Lol.

Bigotry. You’re not allowed be a bigot in work.
    Waaaaaaahhhh
    Fvckin snowflakes

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

I despair every time I read this discussion.

'Travelers' are people too, citizens of this country, entitled to equality, and also subject to equal treatment under the law.

When "we" stop letting off the 100 conviction car robbing and mugging "Damo's" with a "stern warning" then we can address this.

Until then we are all hypocrites.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

Steve wrote: »

'Travelers' are people too, citizens of this country, entitled to equality, and also subject to equal treatment under the law.

When "we" stop letting off the 100 conviction car robbing and mugging "Damo's" with a "stern warning" then we can address this.

Until then we are all hypocrites.

Who say's "we" are letting anyone off? at least the car robbing and mugging "damo's" dont want special laws or privileges drawn up for them to break the law.

They also generally don't go around blatantly breaking the law because of muh culture, from the way that they take over the roads for sulky races, animal welfare (leaving horses to die on the side of the road), to attacking 13 year old girls and leaving them critically injured in the hospital because of blood feuds.

I despair when i see people trying to minimize the impact because "SetLeD PeOpLe BrEaK tHe LaW AlSo".

I would treat them all equally just to clarify, the only difference from traveller law breakers and the settle law breakers is that the settle people don't have a mouth piece organization that looks to exonerate them of all the bad crap they do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭Ironicname

Steve wrote:
    Calm down drama queen.
    Steve wrote:

Yes. Equality. Not special status.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Calhoun wrote: »
    Who say's "we" are letting anyone off?
    Just look at 'our' justice system. unless you break the 200 previous convictions mark for robbery or mugging then you go scott free. unless of course you failed to pay your RTE tax....
    at least the car robbing and mugging "damo's" dont want special laws or privileges drawn up for them to break the law.
    See above, they don't need them

I agree with the rest of your post.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

Just look at 'our' justice system. unless you break the 200 previous convictions mark for robbery or mugging then you go scott free. unless of course you failed to pay your RTE tax....

See above, they don't need them

I agree with the rest of your post.

I actually agree with everything you have just said. I have no come back to it, i just want the law enforced equally i don't care who the person is after that.

I suppose in a way it is being enforced equally today, equally poor.

Travellers just get allot of flack because with an organization like Pavee Point and not being tied to one area of the country it can amplify the awareness of them. The likes of the callout videos did them no favor.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Is that a joke? Been banned numerous times for my opinion on certain ethnic groups. Can’t talk about anything anymore.
    These people are scum. Poor girl hacked by a machete while protecting a child.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,312 ✭✭✭✭endacl

'Travelers' are people too

Link?

:pac:

Advertisement