Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boardsies Greatest One Hit Wonder Song - Live Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,311 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

SF1

No opinion

SF2

Sticking with my nomination, so 99 Luftballons. Would have had BOC over either of the other two though.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,007 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

Baker Street
    My nomination. I didn't think it would get this far to be honest, but it is a cracker. I love Save Tonight as well, but it's a little lightweight for the final. I was tempted to vote for it just to annoy the people dropping in to tell us how shıt our taste is though :p

Don't Fear The Reaper
    Easy for me - love it. One of my mum's faves so I grew up with it. I've never got 99 red balloons for some reason, just hasn't ever clicked for me

...my very first Now That's What I Call Music (Now 40, I think)
    When did we gives kids the vote? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 6,095 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

SF Match 1
    Eagle Eye Cherry - Save tonight - This should not have got past the first round! Enough said!
    Vs

Gerry Rafferty - Baker Street - My vote. That saxophone riff is so instantly recognisable and so iconic. The vocals and the understated flute is very good too. It is a very good song in its in own right too. The dance cover by Undercover works because of the song itself, and it keeps the saxophone, which helps!

SF Match 2
    Blue Oyster Cult - Don't Fear the Reaper - My vote. Despite hearing that song probably close to a million times over the years, with the likes of rock shows, it still is an iconic rock song. That guitar riff is so iconic.

Vs
    Nena - 99 Luftbalons - It is just about tolerable. Without the video to look at, it's quite boring!

#1 Save Tonight
    Very difficult choice but it's the one I'm more likely to keep on a playlist for regular listening. I like Baker Street and its epic sax, but the first half of the song does drag a little bit. Save Tonight is a simpler tune but it holds up better as an entire package for me. And there is also the nostalgia factor at play: the other three were before my time but I remember Save Tonight being in the charts.

#2 99 Luftballons
    Another very tough choice, both songs have great hooks but this wins out for me mainly because I love the inspiration behind the lyrics.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭tusk

Hey! Shut it, gramps!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Big Vern

My votes

SF Match 1

Gerry Raferty - Baker Street - its such a catchy song and the saxophone in it is still great.

SF Match 2

Nena - 99 Luftbalons - i loved this song when it came out,still do. The German version is great too.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Ok, Boomer ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭Ectoplasm

Baker Street for the awesome sax

99 Luftballons because it gets less airplay than the other, which is a great song but feel like I hear it way more often.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,069 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

No opinion on the first semi, I like both but not enough to cast a vote.

Semi 2 my vote goes to Nena - 80's is my era!!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Turns out people will be giving out about the other match.

99 luftballoons over Reaper.

Jesus Christ on a bike peeps

• Advertisement

I don’t care enough about Baker Street or save tonight to cast a vote.

Going with 99 luftballoons as it’s more worthy of a final place than don’t fear the reaper. But I do love don’t fear the reaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭OAOB

Baker Street
    I like both songs but that sax is iconic and wins it for me

Don't Fear The Reaper
    Good song and i don't think the other one is

• Registered Users Posts: 4,686 ✭✭✭Pretzill

Baker Street
    &
    Don't Fear the Reaper

They are just better songs, and I do know that Nena had a deeper meaning behind 99 luftbaloons but it's still bubblegum as far as I'm concerned - though that should also place it well as a One Hit Wonder (in the litteral sense) - I would have knocked out Baker Street in favour of that Safety Dance but I didn't get to the vote in time for the same reason, I really don't consider Baker Street One Hit Wonder territory - but no denying it's a great track.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭Tammy!

Baker Street - Save Tonight is good but Baker Street is one of a kind. The sax gives this weird reflective atmosphere to the song.

Dont Fear the Reaper - Great riff and nice solo in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

As a few regular voters have not voted yet, I will extend this until 11am. No extra time after that, if there is a tie, I will call it.

Currently

Save Tonight 4 - 7 Baker Street

Don't fear 8 - 7 99 Luftbalons

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

I think both ties have one song that's better and one song that's more quintessentially OHW, and I'm struggling whether to with quality over definition here.

quickbeam wrote: »
    I think both ties have one song that's better and one song that's more quintessentially OHW, and I'm struggling whether to with quality over definition here.

Taking into account US and UK, only one of those acts is a genuine OHW: Nena. The Blue Oyster Cult had a second Top 40 hit in the US with Burnin' For You and is the second closest to that accolade.

Save Tonight gets my vote.

I am completely indifferent to the the other choices.

Save Tonight is in my opinion a lesser track than a lot of the songs who didn't make it...I don't know how it got this far, I'm too old for late 90's melancholia but even still there are many better ones, off the top of my head Sinéad O Conner, Marc Cohen...:)

Pretzill wrote: »
    Save Tonight is in my opinion a lesser track than a lot of the songs who didn't make it...I don't know how it got this far, I'm too old for late 90's melancholia but even still there are many better ones, off the top of my head Sinéad O Conner, Marc Cohen...:)

ETA Quality should always win out.

• Advertisement

Pretzill wrote:
    Save Tonight is in my opinion a lesser track than a lot of the songs who didn't make it...I don't know how it got this far, I'm too old for late 90's melancholia but even still there are many better ones, off the top of my head Sinéad O Conner, Marc Cohen...

Ah depends on your vintage in a lot of ways too.

Save Tonight was a song of my youth and holds some nostalgic memories, more than Baker Street would anyways.

I agree probably neither song should be in the semis but that be democracy, I guess.

Taking into account US and UK, only one of those acts is a genuine OHW: Nena. The Blue Oyster Cult had a second Top 40 hit in the US with Burnin' For You and is the second closest to that accolade.

You’re like yer man on pointless that sits in the seat. No idea of his name but he is full of useful facts.

Loving your input, Declan. Have they tried to convince you to play werewolf yet? :D

Living your input, Declan. Have they tried to convince you to play werewolf yet?

That's what you're here for Strawbs :pac:

Pretzill wrote: »
    ETA Quality should always win out.

Music can be so very subjective. If we only dealt with quality well what determines a quality song? Also what about the emotional part of music? That doesn't care for quality.
    There have been lots of songs that I preferred in this comp to Cherry's for lots of different reasons.

Necro wrote: »
    That's what you're here for Strawbs :pac:

Can I interest you in a game of werewolf, Declan? You get to kill other players. Nothing like a bit of killing to relieve the stresses of the day.

Okay, Pretzil has convinced me. Quality over definition:

Baker Street
    Don't Fear The Reaper

Both better songs at the end of the day than their competition.

You’re like yer man on pointless that sits in the seat. No idea of his name but he is full of useful facts.

Loving your input, Declan. Have they tried to convince you to play werewolf yet? :D

Richard Osman.

Thanks, I think!

Richard Osman ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,404 ✭✭✭✭sKeith

Can I interest you in a game of werewolf, Declan? You get to kill other players. Nothing like a bit of killing to relieve the stresses of the day.

There's a game on Saturday. Are you signing up?

• Advertisement

Necro wrote: »
    Ah depends on your vintage in a lot of ways too.

I'm not that old either :D but I don't agree I spend most evenings listening to music that was composed in the 19th Century :D

Advertisement