Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RIP Niall Tóibín

Options
  • 13-11-2019 12:51pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭

The death has been announced of the actor and comedian Niall Tóibín.
    He died in Dublin early today after a long illness.
    He is predeceased by his wife, Judy, and is survived by his children Sean, Muireann, Aisling, Sighle and Fiana and his seven grandchildren.
    He was born in Cork city on 21 November 1929.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

RIP, I remember he had a great sketch about Cork Polar bears!!!
    so funny...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

RIP Nial Toibin, One of Ireland's greatest comedians.
    We still have tapes of his recordings and often listen to them with great enjoyment, a great man for the accents.
    "By the Banks", "Cute Cork Hoors and Maen Cavan B'strds."

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,555 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

The Van Morrison of Irish comedy.

Brilliant and cantankerous.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

Between Brendan Grace, Gay Byrne and now Niall Tóibín it has been a sad few months of losing well known Irish entertainment persons.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

K.Flyer wrote: »
    , a great man for the accents.
    "By the Banks", "Cute Cork Hoors and Maen Cavan B'strds."

Particularly like the "Maen Cavan B'strd and Cute Cork Hoor playing golf" sketch.

Very timely in these lawless days too. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,124 ✭✭✭Odhinn

The death has been announced of the actor and comedian Niall Tóibín.
    He died in Dublin early today after a long illness.
    He is predeceased by his wife, Judy, and is survived by his children Sean, Muireann, Aisling, Sighle and Fiana and his seven grandchildren.
    He was born in Cork city on 21 November 1929.

Also well remembered as Brendan Behan in numerous runs of "Borstal Boy".

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

Particularly like the "Maen Cavan B'strd and Cute Cork Hoor playing golf" sketch.

Very timely in these lawless days too. ;)

From 3:55, brilliant!

Niall Toibin on the Late Late Show with Gay Byrne..

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,531 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Tbh I could never get his humour.

RIP.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,531 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Funnily enough, I was just chatting with a guy in the pub earlier, and he just came out with this NT joke about the schoolboy and the egg.

I said RIP, but the fella hadn't heard he had died at all... Weird.

I still don't get the joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭Dr Turk Turkelton

RIP. There won't be a penny spent in Cavan tonight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭downwesht

A great actor,mimic ,storyteller and comedian.RIP

Just heard a clip from Tóibín on RTÉ about a Dub, Cavanman and Corkman going for an interview to win a contract for a DCC project. The Dub: €3000; The Cavanman: €6000; The Corkman: €9000, and his breakdown €3000 to me, €3000 to you (the contract awarder), and we'll get the Dubliner to do the job.

Absolutely hilarious... until you realise it was has been precisely how things have happened in our banana, gaimbín republic full of Hugh McElvaney and Healy Rea types.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,682 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Possibly the best impressionist we’ve ever had in Ireland. RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 69,184 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Just heard a clip from Tóibín on RTÉ about a Dub, Cavanman and Corkman going for an interview to win a contract for a DCC project. The Dub: €3000; The Cavanman: €6000; The Corkman: €9000, and his breakdown €3000 to me, €3000 to you (the contract awarder), and we'll get the Dubliner to do the job.

Absolutely hilarious... until you realise it was has been precisely how things have happened in our banana, gaimbín republic full of Hugh McElvaney and Healy Rea types.

Love that joke but it is interesting to listen to the recording as social history. The audience know full well that is how it worked. Like everyone knew of the priest with the 'predilections', a blind eye was turned to it.

Advertisement