Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

dog whistle

Options
  • 13-11-2019 1:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭

hi folks,just wondering if dog training whistles are actually silent,i bought one off evil bay for €4.50,it said silent dog whistle,but i can hear it,are they all like that,or can i get one that i actually cant hear:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭German pointer

I use a 2 10.5 (two ten and a half) probably one of the most common whistles for working and training dogs. It's audible to humans.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,789 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Any dog whistle I have ever used has been audible to humans.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Rosahane

You can get the silent ones which are a much higher frequency than the Acme plastic ones. They are made of metal and often have a Screw mechanism to vary the pitch.

If you are young enough you will probably be able to hear them.

The problem is that they are sometimes hard to get, and the frequencies may vary which might confuse the dog - not that it made any difference to any dog I had which usually ignored the whistle anyway ��

As was said earlier, you are much better getting the Acme plastic whistles which come in a range of frequencies 210, 210.5, 211, 211.5 etc. So when you lose one it’s easily replaced and the different frequencies allow you ( if you are seriously good) to run multiple dogs.

You can get them in McCarthys https://www.huntingandfishing.ie/?s=Acme&post_type=product

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

sniperman wrote: »
    hi folks,just wondering if dog training whistles are actually silent,i bought one off evil bay for €4.50,it said silent dog whistle,but i can hear it,are they all like that,or can i get one that i actually cant hear:confused:

Are you fluent in dog maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭sniperman

garv123 wrote: »
    Are you fluent in dog maybe?
    maybe i am,i remember one rainy day i went out to put him on the lead,im sure i heard him say F-OFF:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,739 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

sniperman wrote: »

I think it depends how sensitive ones hearing is - I'd be pretty sensitive to the point where I can sometimes hear the calls of bats, an ability most people loose in their early adulthood!!

Advertisement