Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

16-inch MacBook Pro

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,254 ✭✭✭Elessar

Took the plunge myself today and ordered a 16" - 2.4Ghz/32GB/8GB 5500/2TB config - it will be my main machine and desktop replacement.

This will replace my 2014 2.8GHz MBP which has been a great workhorse these last 5 years. I normally upgrade every 4 years but the last 15" has not been compelling, I wasn't a fan at all. The new 16 is really nice and a justifiable upgrade. Looking forward to it!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Still waiting on mine. It’s a BTO through work, hopefully I get it before the Xmas break.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭Lucious Sweet

So, a couple of months later, what's the consensus on the MBP 16"?

To those that have purchased. are you happy with it? Any issues?

I'm thinking of getting one but wonder should I wait? Is there a newer model due this year?

It’s been excellent for me.

For administrative jobs like email and slide ware the battery life is insane, easily 12 hours. Turn on the taps and it’s a monster at rendering and simulations but east the battery.

The screen is much thinner than my old 2014 15” and the hinge is good but there is more wobble in it than I’m used to when moving it about.

I don’t actually mind the Touch Bar. I’m a Vim user so the physical Esc key is appreciated however

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭Lucious Sweet

5uspect wrote: »
    It’s been excellent for me.

For administrative jobs like email and slide ware the battery life is insane, easily 12 hours. Turn on the taps and it’s a monster at rendering and simulations but east the battery.

The screen is much thinner than my old 2014 15” and the hinge is good but there is more wobble in it than I’m used to when moving it about.

I don’t actually mind the Touch Bar. I’m a Vim user so the physical Esc key is appreciated however

Thanks mate,

That is exactly what I will be upgrading from. 2014 15” MBP and it has served me well, it is still remarkably capable for a 6 year old machine.

However it struggles with large Raw files and video editing is a slow process.

The 16" seems to fit the bill as a replacement, I just wanted to be sure it didn't have any issues like dodgy keyboard or throttling. From what I have read the fans can be a little loud under stress but I can live with that if it gets the job done.

• Advertisement

It’s no louder than the 2014, probably more broadband noise even.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭Priestess101

The 16" was the best investment I ever made. Thanks for all your advice guys, really appreciate it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,702 ✭✭✭whippet

I'm just about to pull the trigger on a new MacBook Pro - I had a 15" from 2015 and changed it for a 13" 2017 model as I didn't like the bulk. How does the 16" compare size / weight wise to the 13" ? I'll be going with the Core i7 2.4GHz / 16GB / 256GB in the 13" but am being tempted by the 16" .. Screensize isn't a massive factor as I have it docked with 2x 27" displays in the home office and when out I can use sidecar with my 12.9" iPad Pro ?

The 16” is almost exactly the same size as your old 15”. There is most likely a new 14” coming soon.

Another 2014 15" MBP to 16" migrant here. Very pleased with what I've been doing with it so far. My 2014 MBP has been a great machine to get the work done but the 16" MBP has enough to offer that I can easily see it as an upgrade at this stage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 QuinnerEP

Would the baseline 16" macbook pro late 2019 be sufficient for 4k video editing?

QuinnerEP wrote: »
    Would the baseline 16" macbook pro late 2019 be sufficient for 4k video editing?

Yes

Advertisement