Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Accessing files/folders on HD of another computer - HELP

Options
  • 13-11-2019 4:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭

I am trying to access and copy folders off a HD of a broken computer, unfortunately without much success.

On accessing the HD via USB on another PC, - I select Documents and Settings - I right click Give access to - and select specific people. I then add the user name of the laptop that I am logged onto, but that does not work for me. Can anyone help to proceed here. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

Easiest option would be to take out the hdd and insert in another pc. Or a suitable sata to usb cable

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭Maidhci

mordeith wrote: »
    Easiest option would be to take out the hdd and insert in another pc. Or a suitable sata to usb cable

I have taken out the hdd and connected to another pc via a usb cable. This is how I have accessed the folders etc, but cannot proceed with copying or transferring them to another PC as I run into the permissions issue and cannot resolve it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

Maidhci wrote: »
    I have taken out the hdd and connected to another pc via a usb cable. This is how I have accessed the folders etc, but cannot proceed with copying or transferring them to another PC as I run into the permissions issue and cannot resolve it.

What error are you getting when trying to access the files? Can you open the individual folders?

mordeith wrote: »
    What error are you getting when trying to access the files? Can you open the individual folders?

You don't currently have permission to access this folder. At this stage, I click Continue and again get a prompt, you have been denied permission to access this folder. I then select security tab and advanced and proceed as outlined in original post. Thought this would be a straight forward task but it is turning out to be a nightmare.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

Any chance the old drive is encrypted?

Normally any USB connected drive will show up in the same way as any USB flash drive ie beside the next available drive letter and then just browse through the contents.

Don't think it's necessary to go into drive sharing steps on a USB drive when it's connected directly to the PC being used to access it.

• Advertisement

Ten Pin wrote: »
    Any chance the old drive is encrypted?

Normally any USB connected drive will show up in the same way as any USB flash drive ie beside the next available drive letter and then just browse through the contents.

Don't think it's necessary to go into drive sharing steps on a USB drive.

No, definitely not.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,130 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

"Documents and Settings" - sounds like XP era naming. :D

Add Everyone with Allow - Full control, or if still not working, instead modding permissions, try to take ownership over that folder/entire drive

Properties>>Security tab>>Advanced>>Change

495240.JPG

On the other hand, if drive came NOT from XP machine, you might be trying wrong location.

"Documents and Settings" folder still remain as hidden system folder on later OS's, but it actually serves as pointer/shortcut to C:\Users - for compatibility with old-way/fashion-build applications.
    Note shortcut symbol on the faded(hidden) folder icon

495248.JPG

495250.JPG

"Documents and Settings" - sounds like XP era naming. :D

Add Everyone with Allow - Full control, or if still not working, instead modding permissions, try to take ownership over that folder/entire drive

Properties>>Security tab>>Advanced>>Change

495240.JPG

The hd being rescued is XP!

I already tried this earlier by adding Everyone with Allow, Full Control but did not work.

Don't know what you mean by taking ownership over that entire drive?
    I assumed that by connecting the removed HD via USB to another computer that it would essentially be the same as a external HD??

if it was the c:/ of the old pc it can get very fiddly

• Advertisement

if it was the c:/ of the old pc it can get very fiddly

It was the old c:/ of the old pc.

I tried to take ownership of the drive earlier today via:

https://cheekymunkey.co.uk/how-to-recover-data/

There was no security tab visible on the open window, therefore that did not work for me, although it seemed by reading the article that it was exactly what was required.

On start menu in search type: explorer, right click on File Explorer in the list and select Run As Administrator. from here attempt to take ownership of that folder...

... providing your user account is in Admin group on this PC

Correction:
    type explorer.exe and right click on it to select "Run As Administrator"

you could also try CMD(elevated):

takeown /F "X:\Documents and Settings" /A /R /D Y

where X: is drive letter of attached drive

This should apply ownership to admin group

On start menu in search type: explorer, right click on File Explorer in the list and select Run As Administrator. from here attempt to take ownership of that folder...

... providing your user account is in Admin group on this PC

I am out of my depth here.....I typed explorer, right clicked on File Explorer and selected Run as Administrator..... At this stage a list of frequent and recent folders came up?

I am the only user of this PC and am set up as administrator. Totally lost here.

I am out of my depth here.....I typed explorer, right clicked on File Explorer and selected Run as Administrator..... At this stage a list of frequent and recent folders came up?

I am the only user of this PC and am set up as administrator. Totally lost here.
    OK...
    open File Explorer as normal, navigate C:\Windows, scroll down til you find explorer.exe , right click on it....after UAC prompt new window will open, work from this new window in attempt to take ownership.

Edit: I have corrected my previous post

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

From there find the USB drive and try the permissions thing again

• Registered Users Posts: 9,066 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Use a Linux live disc... Saves all that scuttering around.

CoBo55 wrote: »
    Use a Linux live disc... Saves all that scuttering around.
    :D it might well be an option/resolution, however, requires scuttering around Linux live disc

• Registered Users Posts: 9,066 ✭✭✭CoBo55

:D it might well be an option/resolution, however, requires scuttering around Linux live disc

AHH here, it's hardly that difficult. Download Ubuntu, burn to disc, connect usb HDD to computer, boot from disc click on the folder icon on the desktop... Copy n paste, done!!

• Advertisement

CoBo55 wrote: »
    AHH here, it's hardly that difficult. Download Ubuntu, burn to disc, connect usb HDD to computer, boot from disc click on the folder icon on the desktop... Copy n paste, done!!
    Sure..., or just run command in CMD

you could also try CMD(elevated):

takeown /F "X:\Documents and Settings" /A /R /D Y

where X: is drive letter of attached drive

This should apply ownership to admin group

Thanks for this smuggler - this worked for me and got it sorted out this evening. Your help is much appreciated.

I have now transferred all the required data from the hard drive on the laptop to an external HD. I intend to leave Dell laptop into a computer repair shop to run a diagnostics test etc. I thought it was the RAM that had packed in, but I have ruled that particular option out. In any event, I feel more secure that I have a copy of the HD before I part with it. Thanks again.

Cool

Advertisement