Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LAYA - possible to move mid year?

• 13-11-2019 5:00pm

I've been lazy over our health insurance and a similar plan with VHI would be a lot cheaper. I've left a monthly payment roll over and approx 5 monthly payments left in the current term.

Is it possible to cancel the current contract and move to VHI without consequences?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,581 ✭✭✭caviardreams

I don't think so if you are committed for a year (I think you can swap to another laya plan though). Are you sure the VHI plan is similar coverage for less, usually there is not a lot in it, or laya are often cheaper - would be interested to hear what the VHI plan is myself! :-)

I don't think so if you are committed for a year (I think you can swap to another laya plan though). Are you sure the VHI plan is similar coverage for less, usually there is not a lot in it, or laya are often cheaper - would be interested to hear what the VHI plan is myself! :-)

It's the kids - Laya charge full cost at 18. VHI a lot cheaper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,581 ✭✭✭caviardreams

It's the kids - Laya charge full cost at 18. VHI a lot cheaper.

Ah ok, that makes sense - was thinking of the adult plans! Thanks :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,345 ✭✭✭phormium

Possible yes but Laya will charge you a cancellation fee so might not be worth it.

phormium wrote: »
    Possible yes but Laya will charge you a cancellation fee so might not be worth it.

Okay, thanks. Serves me right for being asleep at the wheel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭NUTLEY BOY

I suspect that you are stuck with LAYA until next renewal.
    I had a dispute with them and wanted to leave.
    On checking the contract wording it appeared - as others said - that you could not leave mid-term.
    Indeed, my take on it was that even if you gave notice of cancellation you might still be obliged to complete payment for the rest of the insurance year so there was no point in leaving.

For further views on this question you could also look at this very helpful forum on askaboutmoney LINK https://www.askaboutmoney.com/forums/health-insurance-and-healthcare-costs.100/

Advertisement