Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

thomondgate

• 13-11-2019 5:48pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭

has it come up in the rankings ? , everything is relative obviously , its undesirable compared to North Circular Road or even rhebogue , how would folks regard the area up towards thomond park - sexton street ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭chicorytip

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    has it come up in the rankings ? , everything is relative obviously , its undesirable compared to North Circular Road or even rhebogue , how would folks regard the area up towards thomond - sexton street ?
    Rough. Bad atmosphere, too much traffic, anti-social teens, vandalism, lack of nearby amenities. Drunks staggering around at all hours. Blackspot local authority areas Canon Breen and DeValera parks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

chicorytip wrote: »
    Rough. Bad atmosphere, too much traffic, anti-social teens, vandalism, lack of nearby amenities. Drunks staggering around at all hours. Blackspot local authority areas Canon Breen and DeValera parks.

looked at a house in the cross road estate recently and thought it seemed fine , green public space was spotless , no signs of neglect , i suppose its all relative , it was pristine compared to St Marys Park which looks like Syria ( or did the last time i ventured down)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Brian Lighthouse

chicorytip wrote: »

Where are you living yourself Chicorytip?

I live in Park de Valera. I don't agree with what you are saying.

I would even go so far to say that you are sweeping a big tar brush across an area with the obvious in-depth knowledge you possess.

You describe Canon Breen Park and Park de Valera as "Blackspot local authority areas", however, what started life as a local authority development is currently in circa 80 percent private ownership.

Traffic - Sexton Street North and the High Road is a major road through the city now.

Anti-Social Teens - there are youngfellas and youngwans around the place, but where are there no teenagers in the city?

Vandalism??? Like wanton vandalism, like no law or order? No. Incorrect.

Amenities? Such as? Town is a 5 minute walk, Thomond Park, the Gaelic Grounds, many schools. Please expand on the amenities we lack.

Drunks staggering around at all hours? Simply WOW!!!

Bad atmosphere? Fair enough, that is purely personal I suppose.

Rough? Again, a personal viewpoint I suppose.

All the best
    Brian

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭chicorytip

Where are you living yourself Chicorytip?

I live in Park de Valera. I don't agree with what you are saying.

I would even go so far to say that you are sweeping a big tar brush across an area with the obvious in-depth knowledge you possess.

You describe Canon Breen Park and Park de Valera as "Blackspot local authority areas", however, what started life as a local authority development is currently in circa 80 percent private ownership.

Traffic - Sexton Street North and the High Road is a major road through the city now.

Anti-Social Teens - there are youngfellas and youngwans around the place, but where are there no teenagers in the city?

Vandalism??? Like wanton vandalism, like no law or order? No. Incorrect.

Amenities? Such as? Town is a 5 minute walk, Thomond Park, the Gaelic Grounds, many schools. Please expand on the amenities we lack.

Drunks staggering around at all hours? Simply WOW!!!

Bad atmosphere? Fair enough, that is purely personal I suppose.

Rough? Again, a personal viewpoint I suppose.

All the best
    Brian
    I live in the city centre near the Milk Market. The same kind of problems occur here, of course, but I have never felt unsafe walking around even late at night - which is something I do regularly. Thomondgate, because of it's location, tends to attract troublemakers from other areas particularly on summer evenings. I am very familiar with the Cross Road area and many residents living there have experienced problems at times over the years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Brian Lighthouse

Thanks for your response and unlike the one to the OP it is devoid of any exaggeration. ;-)
    I think we would both be familiar with issues around both our areas. Over a number of years there was an influx of youths to the Thomondgate area and it probably appeared at the time that anti-social behaviour was totally out of hand. Yes, some young lads went a bit wild.
    Then when the residents and Gardai combined to tackle the issue; the youths then went to social media and organised their meet ups in all parts of the city. One week it would be Caherdavin, another Westfields then Watch house Cross, then another place etc etc etc.
    This way they could meet up have their drinks party etc and hopefully avoid being interrupted by the authorities.

But as you say the same kind of problems occur all over, but in the Triangle from the Treaty Stone to Hassett's Cross to Watchhouse Cross the majority of people are decent and law abiding and that too is the same all over the city.

All the best.
    Brian

• Advertisement
Advertisement