Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

wifi bridging on Vodafone Gigabox modem

• 13-11-2019 8:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭

Hello.

I have recently got a Vodafone broadband service installed. I was given a Vodafone Gigabox modem/router. I have bought a 100mbs service.

The way I have it all set up is I have the old HG658c modem installed at the service entry and that is working fine. Now I want to use the Gigabox as an access point on my desktop computer upstairs which has no wifi card nor is there a lan socket. I currently use a TPlink router in wifi bridge mode as my access point and connect to the computer via the lan cable.

I basically want to replace the tp link with the Gigabox. Is that possible?
    Specifically, does the Gigabox support wifi bridging?

I have enabled bridge mode but I suspect that is wan/lan bridge rather than wifi because I do not see any option to connect to a wifi network in the gigabox control panel.

What is the actual model and manufacturer of this gigabox? I know it is "Vodafone" but is it really a Huawei of some sort? I cannot find anything on it.

I am suspecting that the modem would support bridging but it is not available/disabled through the Vodafone crapware installed on it. If possible I'd like to update the firmware to the actual manufacturers original firmware, being Huawei or other.

Anyone any ideas on this?

And no, I do not want to install a wifi dongle or wifi adapter into my PC. I want to use the LAN network adapted.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭dam099

Hello.

I have recently got a Vodafone broadband service installed. I was given a Vodafone Gigabox modem/router. I have bought a 100mbs service.

The way I have it all set up is I have the old HG658c modem installed at the service entry and that is working fine. Now I want to use the Gigabox as an access point on my desktop computer upstairs which has no wifi card nor is there a lan socket. I currently use a TPlink router in wifi bridge mode as my access point and connect to the computer via the lan cable.

I basically want to replace the tp link with the Gigabox. Is that possible?
    Specifically, does the Gigabox support wifi bridging?

I have enabled bridge mode but I suspect that is wan/lan bridge rather than wifi because I do not see any option to connect to a wifi network in the gigabox control panel.

What type of Tp-link router are you using? If it’s relatively recent I would have thought replacing the 658c with the Gigabox could be a better option.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

I suspect it is manufactured specifically for Vodafone by Sercomm if you go by previous SHG Vodafone devices. I doubt you're going to be able to flash alternative firmware. See here

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin//showpost.php?p=108021160&postcount=5187

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭TheBoyConor

My tp link is a wr720n. It works grand but it is dying as it is old and it can sporadically drop the connection and need to be reset and the WiFi bridge reconfigured.
    It is time to change, but I don't want to spend money.

I tried getting the hg58c into WiFi bridge mode but that seems to be also disabled on the Vodafone branded crapware installed on it.
    I was hoping the gigabox would have the WiFi bridge functionality.

Why don't these modern routers have WiFi bridge and the old tp link does?

Why do suppliers down grade the spec and performance of modern hardware like Vodafone seem to be doing?

Is there any way to get either of these two routers into a WiFi bridge mode?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭dam099

Why don't these modern routers have WiFi bridge and the old tp link does?

Why do suppliers down grade the spec and performance of modern hardware like Vodafone seem to be doing?

I would think its because TP-Link are selling to end consumers with multiple use cases and opt to support as many as practicable. Vodafone are providing you a free Router to access their network at the point of entry not to use as a bridge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

KISS. Get a WLAN card for the desktop, preferably with an external antenna.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭TheBoyConor

I might have to so. Or else get another router off of Adverts.

Thanks for your advice.

Advertisement