Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fiat Punto query

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,499 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

They’re a grand car, that one is 10 years old and they weren’t that dear in the first place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

I've had 3 punto's done through the years. Decent cheap reliable runaround. As a second car you won't go wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭kindalen

I was very surprised with how good they were when we had one in the family. Check the fan heater works on all speeds. Resistors blow on them, cheap easy fix.

https://www.ebay.ie/itm/Heater-Blower-Motor-Fan-Resistor-Wiring-Loom-For-FIAT-PUNTO-GRANDE-Vauxhall/283605787415?hash=item420838e317:g:kgEAAOSwpoVdcchp

Ideal runaround car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭MrCostington

I'm looking at a Punto too and asked "do such small cars have a useful life after about 10 years/80k miles?" a few days ago, so tagging it onto the end of this if you don't mind!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,373 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

cheap to buy - although I have noticed prices creeping up over the years.
    cheap to fix
    cheap to run. tax/insurance/fuel

They're a grand little car I've had several over the years as a second/between car and never an issue. When something did break the part was cheap to replace or the cost was equivalent to another car which is cheap to begin with. Certainly rivaling the micra and yaris these days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭MrCostington

Hi thanks for that.

But what I'm really asking is, how do smaller care fare as they get older. I have not owned a car smaller than 1.6 in about 25 years so have no experience of them. So, usually 80k miles is nothing for a 1.6 or bigger, but what about a 1.2?

Anyway good to see good reports on the Punto, thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Heres Johnny

Hi thanks for that.

But what I'm really asking is, how do smaller care fare as they get older. I have not owned a car smaller than 1.6 in about 25 years so have no experience of them. So, usually 80k miles is nothing for a 1.6 or bigger, but what about a 1.2?

Anyway good to see good reports on the Punto, thanks!

It's not really to do with engine size it's more to do with how the previous owners looked after it. No 10 year old car is going to be guaranteed reliable same as any 5 year old.
    Punto is a grand little runaround.
    Just got me thinking, are FIAT gone out of Ireland altogether now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭TigerTim

Thanks for all the replies

T.

Just got me thinking, are FIAT gone out of Ireland altogether now?

Hope, mainly just the 500 & tipo in the model range now though..... And vans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Heres Johnny

Augeo wrote: »
    Hope, mainly just the 500 & tipo in the model range now though..... And vans.

Ah yeah the 500, don't know how I forgot about them. I know 2 people that have it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,444 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

@OP. They are a very good car and the front light bulbs are relatively easy to replace in them too unlike a fiesta or a Peugeot 207 although the Peugeot is also better than a Fiesta as you have to take the whole front of a Fiesta to change the lights on it. Seen it been done.

As for FIAT in Ireland they are near enough gone now sadly and the same with Mitsubishi too. There best times are behind them. Limited and old ranges from both not helping them.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭Mad_Mike

kindalen wrote: »
    I was very surprised with how good they were when we had one in the family. Check the fan heater works on all speeds. Resistors blow on them, cheap easy fix.

https://www.ebay.ie/itm/Heater-Blower-Motor-Fan-Resistor-Wiring-Loom-For-FIAT-PUNTO-GRANDE-Vauxhall/283605787415?hash=item420838e317:g:kgEAAOSwpoVdcchp

Ideal runaround car.

Great little car. My son had 3 of the MK2 Puntos and my daughter is driving a 07 Grande Punto now, and as kindalen says, check the heater. It's not a huge issue to fix, but it's a common failure in that model Punto.

Also, the glovebox sits a bit odd in a lot of them, looks like it isn't shut right, but it's common and if it's a 4/5 door, the back handles can be sticky to open from outside. Apart from that, they are an easy car to work on, and cheap to get bits etc, and a nice car to drive with a 5 star NCAP safety rating too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭kindalen

They have aged very well, saw a Grande Punto yesterday, and it looked stylish still. Check the battery and starter too. But a 10 year old car will throw up problems, and these are cheap and easy to work on yourself.

Advertisement