Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What are the most useless/useful college degrees?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

Begs the question though why private industry are being allowed to influence publicly funded third-level institutions into tailoring courses to their employment needs. Surely apprenticeship programmes in these fields would be far more advantageous for all?

Because the private industry ensures a big input into the state's kitty. They openly collaborate with state funded institutions to get the best of the best out. Without the private industry colleges would struggle immensely to get funds for research to rank well internationally. They have a vested interest in the prestige university brings. Having a highly educated workforce looks good and having them readily trained is incredibly productive. You go and pick the best of the best and everyone else will find employment in the other 15 multinational companies that can get good use out of you. In-house training is very expensive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭Cordell

This, and also it benefits the graduates as they will be a better match for employment. Win-win.

CrankyHaus wrote: »

Education has a value beyond the utilitarian but the public funds have limits and are better directed first towards education of direct application. Leisurely pursuit of knowledge for knowledge's sake is more the preserve of the well off and subsidising their livestyle is a perverse inversion of the state's role in progressive redistribution of wealth.

Free education only exists because since the industrial revolution nations have needed an increasingly educated workforce. When 90% of people were farmers, hedge schools were good enough. Therefore public education was based on a utilitarian rationale, which should not be abandoned or disregarded.

And in the past this created a huge rift, people were trained but not educated.
    Creating a third level environment that makes humanities and arts completely exclusive to people that don't struggle for money created a cohort of people with very similar interests and backgrounds, thus information can be easily interpreted to suit this demographic well, it's published this way and everyone with no in-depth understanding of it has to believe it because these people (that all come from very similar backgrounds) say this is the way it is.
    Having these sorts of degrees only available for the wealthy can result for example in the following: Turkey denies the existence of the Holocaust in Armenia. Education material is influenced by historic research. If you have a lot of wealthy, they generally have similar attitudes because wealth is mostly generated in a capitalistic way. So it's easy to have people research topics in a homogeneous way because of their background and it's easier to convince a homogenic group why including this problematic chapter of history would be bad.

Another example is the Mandarin teaching material: there's only one institute in the world that publishes mandarin foreign teaching material. This institution is closely tied to the Chinese government and a lot of big names, like Jack Ma, donate money to it. The institute employs mainly people that are wealthy (and they got wealthy by taking advantage of China's developing economy) and people that are very close to the government in a way.
    There recently was an article about mandarin language that's taught in Australia and the advanced stages are littered with subtle propaganda.

While I get that there needs to be regulation in place, money should never be the entry barrier to access education, in a perfect world anyway. It would make a lot more sense limiting places and have entry exams that test your aptitude for it.

I'm by the way in no way against STEM but this topic is close to my heart because I come from a entrepreneurial family (every single one of my parents/ grandparents were self-employed) with strong Humanities background. I know of the struggles and problems it brings but I've also seen them flourish because of their educational background.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭nkl12xtw5goz70

"It's in Apple's DNA that technology alone is not enough—it's technology married with liberal arts, married with the humanities, that yields us the results that make our heart sing" — Steve Jobs

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭Pmacv1

"It's in Apple's DNA that technology alone is not enough—it's technology married with liberal arts, married with the humanities, that yields us the results that make our heart sing" — Steve Jobs

Apple wouldn't exist without Steve Wozniak, just saying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭Cordell

technology married with liberal arts, married with the humanities
    Let me put it this way: maybe arts made the iphone a better product. Science and engineering made it possible to exist it in the first place. Without science and engineering there will be nothing, there is no way of preserving anything when no one knows how to print books and build libraries. Yes, both are important, without arts our life will be darker, but we're alive and living comfortably so to be able to enjoy arts because of science and engineering. It's much more difficult to enjoy a book when your child dies of pneumonia.

Ah just dance the measles away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

It's not what degree you study or even whether you have a degree at all, it's what you do in life, what contribution you make that matters. You could have an Arts type degree and contribute hugely to society in some role whether related or not. On other hand you could have a degree in medicine and be a complete waster.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,039 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

To a point, yes. Someone can read Pride and Prejudice by herself, just as she can go to an art museum by herself and look at paintings. But in both instances it helps to have guidance from an expert, who can show a young student numerous aspects of a novel or a painting that she probably would not figure out on her own.

Developing good writing skills and the ability to read long, complex texts also should not be underestimated in today's soundbite-oriented world. You write articulately and clearly — studying English may have helped with that, and it's a skill that can be put to use across numerous fields.

Ah, come on now. Anyone in a book “club” can get all the information they’d need to produce a thesis on some old “classic” by using the information stored on wikipedia or sparknotes.

The idea that some wizened old lecturer reading aloud from an essay they wrote on the topic in 1974 is going to give the student any hidden “knowledge” is, quite simply, laughable.

Also, are you serious about the reading and writing “skills” part? Do you think that tutor and lecturers sit down with students and go over all the things they learned in primary school?? Seriously?!

That paperclip from Microsoft Office would be of more use. showing someone how to properly put together a “formal” letter.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭tylercheribini

Ah, come on now. Anyone in a book “club” can get all the information they’d need to produce a thesis on some old “classic” by using the information stored on wikipedia or sparknotes.

The idea that some wizened old lecturer reading aloud from an essay they wrote on the topic in 1974 is going to give the student any hidden “knowledge” is, quite simply, laughable.

Also, are you serious about the reading and writing “skills” part? Do you think that tutor and lecturers sit down with students and go over all the things they learned in primary school?? Seriously?!

That paperclip from Microsoft Office would be of more use. showing someone how to properly put together a “formal” letter.

Having completed one of these "worthless" Arts and Humanities degree's, "wikipedia or sparknotes" were certainly not acceptable sources for citation.

• Advertisement

Having completed one of these "worthless" Arts and Humanities degree's, "wikipedia or sparknotes" were certainly not acceptable sources for citation.

They might not be “acceptable” but they have the same information, or the most “relevant” at least.

If you were stuck to provide further “backup” you could easily just hit the library, pick up a few books on the subject and use them as your official citations

Even on here you see people who claim to be some sort of “expert” on certain subjects and everything they put forward can be easily found on Wikipedia or with a simple “google” search.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭Mezzotint

Pmacv1 wrote: »
    Apple wouldn't exist without Steve Wozniak, just saying.

It wouldn't exist without the combination of technology, design, art and marketing know-how. One doesn't exist without the other and that's probably the fundamental point.

There's nothing wrong with taking a more utilitarian view of university or a more arts based view. They're both valuable.

Without one you've no infrastructure. Without the other, you've a society that's entirely absorbed in the pursuit of producing widgets. When you combine the two, you've humanity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

I don't ever remember a time (i'm 45 btw) that the health service hasn't been embroiled in a row with doctors, nurses, consultants you name it.....always looking for more money and threatening to fúck off to Australia / America / Mars wherever pays best if they don't get it!!

And all the while insisting they're not in it for the money:D:D

I work in the medical industry in Australia and know quite a few Irish Doctors and nurses and sure the money is great but not all are in it for just the money, a lot just want to work on cutting edge techniques and technology...where they are well resourced and appreciated. Australia health system and hospitals are 15 years ahead of Ireland, especially doctors will gain experience they would never get in Ireland will return in the future with an advantage.

Also from experience lifestyle also plays a big part.

They might not be “acceptable” but they have the same information, or the most “relevant” at least.

If you were stuck to provide further “backup” you could easily just hit the library, pick up a few books on the subject and use them as your official citations

Even on here you see people who claim to be some sort of “expert” on certain subjects and everything they put forward can be easily found on Wikipedia or with a simple “google” search.

In fairness we live in a time where we can just about Google everything, knowledge is just a click away. You can do very comprehensive programming courses online, if you're into mathematics there are plenty of platforms were you can find solutions to common mathematical problems.

A lot of people working in academia in just about every discipline are more than happy to share their research or give people a heads up, it's not some sort of exclusive club that you're only allowed to join after grinding out 4 years of college like a good boy.
    The amazing thing about the internet is it brings education into areas with poor resources. There are whole degrees (also in science subjects) that are obtainable without sitting in a class.

I don't know what your issue is with people holding art or humanity degrees but obviously someone pissed in your cornflakes.
    I get it, you make a lot of money because you worked hard but other people feel they want to pursue something different in life, what's the issue with it?

LirW wrote: »
    In fairness we live in a time where we can just about Google everything, knowledge is just a click away.

Ironically in an era where free information has never been more abundant, critical thinking regarding the choice and consumption of such knowledge is often sorely lacking.

Ironically in an era where free information has never been more abundant, critical thinking regarding the choice and consumption of such knowledge is often sorely lacking.

Yes, and a four year degree in Sociology and Gender studies is really going to teach people how to approach information critically.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

LirW wrote: »
    In fairness we live in a time where we can just about Google everything, knowledge is just a click away. You can do very comprehensive programming courses online, if you're into mathematics there are plenty of platforms were you can find solutions to common mathematical problems.

A lot of people working in academia in just about every discipline are more than happy to share their research or give people a heads up, it's not some sort of exclusive club that you're only allowed to join after grinding out 4 years of college like a good boy.
    The amazing thing about the internet is it brings education into areas with poor resources. There are whole degrees (also in science subjects) that are obtainable without sitting in a class.

I don't know what your issue is with people holding art or humanity degrees but obviously someone pissed in your cornflakes.
    I get it, you make a lot of money because you worked hard but other people feel they want to pursue something different in life, what's the issue with it?

There is a quote, (attributed to Einstein but I'm not sure) which states that
    "Education is what is left behind when everything you have learned has been forgotten"

The skills, work ethic, thinking skills are all important regardless of the degree.

It does not matter what you learned in the past if you're not using the actual knowledge in everyday worklife it will be forgotten. The skills remain.

Yes, and a four year degree in Sociology and Gender studies is really going to teach people how to approach information critically.

You have completed such a course, or any for that matter?

You have completed such a course, or any for that matter?

As I said to a previous poster, yes I've done four years in liberal arts to a master's level. I then went back a few years later to do a STEM post-grad.

Liberal arts lecturers make you toe a particular line, and if you disagree with their opinions, you'll get marked down heavily.

• Advertisement

As I said to a previous poster, yes I've done four years in liberal arts to a master's level. I then went back a few years later to do a STEM post-grad.

Liberal arts lecturers make you toe a particular line, and if you disagree with their opinions, you'll get marked down heavily.

Straight away your Arts and Humanities( did this "Liberal Arts" label originate from stateside? I'am reading it a lot here) degree served as a stepping stone to a post-grad so not a useless venture at all.

Straight away your Arts and Humanities( did this "Liberal Arts" label originate from stateside?) degree served as a stepping stone to a post-grad so not a useless venture at all.

Well not really, if I had of just done stem initially, I'd have saved 6 years of time wasted.

Well not really, if I had of just done stem initially, I'd have saved 6 years of time wasted.

Saved six years? How? a STEM degree would be three to four years from scratch either way.

joe40 wrote: »
    There is a quote, (attributed to Einstein but I'm not sure) which states that
    "Education is what is left behind when everything you have learned has been forgotten"

The skills, work ethic, thinking skills are all important regardless of the degree.

It does not matter what you learned in the past if you're not using the actual knowledge in everyday worklife it will be forgotten. The skills remain.

Work ethic, thinking skills and practical skills can only be learned to a certain extent, it's the natural affinity one brings that will make them stand out.
    The best education regardless of field doesn't help if your work ethic is bad. People are bad at maths because they lack the thinking skills to make logical sense of it. If you aren't good with your hands you'll never make exceptional cabinets.

Einstein was right with what he said.
    Also good to keep in mind that in the past regimes went after the intellectuals first because they posted the biggest threat to their ideology. Mao for example was an unintelligent man who resented the idea of an educated society. Same with Pol Pot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Raconteuse

Saved six years? How? a STEM degree would be three to four years from scratch either way.
    Are they not referring to the four years for their English degree and masters, then two years in crappy jobs to save money?

I'm inclined to agree with them. Although I agree with a mix of academia and practical too, as mentioned. An English undergrad isn't so pointless imo, but I'd only do a practical postgrad.

Raconteuse wrote: »
    Are they not referring to the four years for their English degree and masters, then two years in crappy jobs to save money?

I'm inclined to agree with them. Although I agree with a mix of academia and practical too, as mentioned. An English undergrad isn't so pointless imo, but I'd only do a practical postgrad.

Still not a net six years "wasted" though, having the degree/masters still allowed for a 1-2 year post-grad, as opposed to a 3-4 year STEM degree from the beginning.

• Advertisement

Raconteuse wrote: »

A practical post grad is key to success in an Arts discipline. A very theoretical only really makes sense when you want to stay in academia because this is your bread and butter and it's a tough field.

I feel a big problem is that kids have to decide with 17 what they want to do with their lives. You aren't fully matured at this point. They key question every student before even starting should ask themselves is: what do I want out of my chosen course?
    Many can't answer that and if the answer is "a job" then that's fine as long as they're happy with this decision.
    If you decide to go for a post grad you definitely should have a very precise idea where you want to go with it. There are plenty of options making a very theoretical degree more useful in the private industry. Of course there's never a guarantee but it makes life easier.

It's hard to argue with anti-intellectualism of this extent. It's like saying someone interested in computer programming can learn everything he needs to know from YouTube videos and a copy of C++ for Dummies. Who needs universities?

How many of these "wizened old lecturers" with 45-year-old lecture notes can you find on the websites of Irish university literature departments? Have a look at the Trinity College teaching staff and see if you can pull out any examples.
    Also, are you serious about the reading and writing “skills” part?

Of course. Writing is a skill that can be taught just like any other. Most American undergraduates take first-year courses in writing, typically known as "freshman composition," and it makes a marked difference in their ability to express themselves fluently in prose.

Straight away your Arts and Humanities( did this "Liberal Arts" label originate from stateside? I'am reading it a lot here) degree served as a stepping stone to a post-grad so not a useless venture at all.

"Arts" is short for "liberal arts," a term that goes back at least to Cicero ("artes liberales"), so it's not an American coinage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

It's hard to argue with anti-intellectualism of this extent. It's like saying someone interested in computer programming can learn everything he needs to know from YouTube videos and a copy of C++ for Dummies. Who needs universities?

How many of these "wizened old lecturers" with 45-year-old lecture notes can you find on the websites of Irish university literature departments? Have a look at the Trinity College teaching staff and see if you can pull out any examples.

Of course. Writing is a skill that can be taught just like any other. Most American undergraduates take first-year courses in writing, typically known as "freshman composition," and it makes a marked difference in their ability to express themselves fluently in prose.

Having attended an Arts course in one of the leading Irish Universities I'd be inclined to agree with much of what he says.

A friend who got a first in his Arts Degree there (and I think English was a major) once informed us all that reading was "for losers" and books were "gay". He'd simply cottoned on to what lecturers wanted to see people submit and regurgitated that from summary notes to get a first class honours. The sheer number of people in Arts meant that basic teaching resources like tutorials or even library books were spread exceptionally thin. So much so that cliques would hide books that were required reading for assignments in parts of the library because there'd be maybe 6 - 12 copies avaliable for a class of several hundred.

This was dysfunctional and fell far short of the lofty "No value can be put on an education" values espoused by defenders of Arts and Humanities. Certainly little value was put on this education by the University authorities.

Having attended an Arts course in one of the leading Irish Universities I'd be inclined to agree with much of what he says.

A friend who got a first in his Arts Degree there (and I think English was a major) once informed us all that reading was "for losers" and books were "gay". He'd simply cottoned on to what lecturers wanted to see people submit and regurgitated that from summary notes to get a first class honours. The sheer number of people in Arts meant that basic teaching resources like tutorials or even library books were spread exceptionally thin. So much so that cliques would hide books that were required reading for assignments in parts of the library because there'd be maybe 6 - 12 copies avaliable for a class of several hundred.

This was dysfunctional and fell far short of the lofty "No value can be put on an education" values espoused by defenders of Arts and Humanities. Certainly little value was put on this education by the University authorities.

You can certainly criticize courses for being poorly resourced and taught, but that doesn't mean the subjects themselves are worthless.

There are certainly issues with liberal arts education in Ireland, no doubt there. Too many students can skate by doing the bare minimum and regurgitating lecture notes. Grade inflation is out of control, so that some students are getting firsts and 2:1's for work that, a generation ago, would barely have got a pass. But that's an issue with how the courses are organized, taught, and graded.

A student majoring in English at Harvard will have a very different experience.

• Advertisement

So much so that cliques would hide books that were required reading for assignments in parts of the library because there'd be maybe 6 - 12 copies avaliable for a class of several hundred.

Ah where there is a will there's a way, Im sure said books could be sourced online, either in print or digital format. I never depended on my college library for any thesis/assignment as everything and much more could be found on the internet, most of the time downloadable instantly for "free" or for purchase.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

You can certainly criticize courses for being poorly resourced and taught, but that doesn't mean the subjects themselves are worthless.

There are certainly issues with liberal arts education in Ireland, no doubt there. Too many students can skate by doing the bare minimum and regurgitating lecture notes. Grade inflation is out of control, so that some students are getting firsts and 2:1's for work that, a generation ago, would barely have got a pass. But that's an issue with how the courses are organized, taught, and graded.

A student majoring in English at Harvard will have a very different experience.

Absolutely, there's considerable value in the subjects. My point was that the way we teach it at the moment, as the oversubscribed, underesourced choice of people who don't know what they want to do but believe they have to attend college, devalues the subject, and cheats both the student and the exchequer.

A more limited number of Arts places would be better for everyone except those who see publicly funded further education as a business opportunity. That's what the lofty platitudes about arts and humanities obscure.

Absolutely, there's considerable value in the subjects. My point was that the way we teach it at the moment, as the oversubscribed, underesourced choice of people who don't know what they want to do but believe they have to attend college, devalues the subject, and cheats both the student and the exchequer.

A more limited number of Arts places would be better for everyone except those who see publicly funded further education as a business opportunity. That's what the lofty platitudes about arts and humanities obscure.

I'd agree with that entirely.

My issue is with the people claiming that the subjects themselves are worthless, rather than that the courses are over-enrolled and poorly resourced.

Ireland urgently needs to rethink its approach to post-secondary education. Not everyone has the aptitude or interest to do a STEM degree. And there are many people who go to university by default but who would realistically be better off pursuing some kind of trade or apprenticeship.

My issue is with the people claiming that the subjects themselves are worthless, rather than that the courses are over-enrolled and poorly resourced.

Ireland urgently needs to rethink its approach to post-secondary education. Not everyone has the aptitude or interest to do a STEM degree. And there are many people who go to university by default but who would realistically be better off pursuing some kind of trade or apprenticeship.

You're bang on with that.
    Arts and humanities are unfortunately often the place for young people to go when they aren't really suited in the first place. Some colleges solve this by knock out exams. In other instances the majority of people that are just there for the sake of studying something will be gone after the first year.

While some courses are easier to grind out than others, if you don't have the persistence for third level you won't make it. After all, we're talking about teenager here that have to make a fundamental live decision at a time in their lives when they have everything else but the future and education in mind. Then they have the general consensus shoved down their throat that college is essential for their success later in life.
    This is a big deal in everyone's life.

That's why I'm in favour of entry exams where their aptitude for the subject is assessed. I've seen this successfully implemented in overrun courses.

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭KSU

Take out the first five and you get a population that votes for trump every single time ...and we all die.

Take out the first five and you decrease a huge portion of the high risk student debts in the US so you know silver clouds and all

Degree's are a commodity that should take into account investment vs RoR

(I say this as someone who has a Philosophy and Classics degree among other qualifications)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

Absolutely, I would go so far as to say post 16 education needs a rethink.
    Vast majority are now staying in a school setting until they are nearly 18 or above with a significant number getting nothing from it, and in many cases hindering progress of others.
    School type education stops been useful for a proportion of our students after a certain stage and tinkering with courses is not helping.
    I teach in the north where a significant number leave after the GCSE exams, age 16, and go to FE colleges, training etc.

I think some of our older pupils in sec school would suit this approach. I'm not saying the northern system is ideal, some of the FE college courses are suspect but many do provide a good stepping stone to further career, education or training but not in a school setting.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

Yes, an online resource which can be edited and contributed to by any aul eejit (often incorrectly) is infinitely better than gaining knowledge from someone with a wealth of experience and insight in their chosen academic field :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭partyguinness

All degrees are useless if you do not put them to use.

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭PHG

I used to go out with a girl that did a branch of a media studies degree in UK. One of the modules was porn!!!

Every time she mentioned it I shook my head because she came out with 20k in debt and only got a 2.2!! What a waste of time and money.

That said, my mates brother did another offset of media and is an amazing sound engineer and DJ.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,033 ✭✭✭✭bnt

All degrees are useless if you do not put them to use.
    I wouldn't quite say that. I'm not working specifically in the field in which I have a degree (Engineering), but was a good general scientific education to get. I was a mature student and I definitely see the world differently since leaving university.

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭partyguinness

My wife's friend has a BA in Fine Arts. She has spent the last 20 years working with the retailer H&M as a manager. She recently left to work as a school secretary.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,407 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

How did Trump make his way onto this thread?

Is there a descriptive word similar to Godwin to describe places where Trump is levered in for no reason?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭vriesmays

Film degrees are the biggest waste of paper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭Phoenix Wright

Job prospects are very limited in psychology unless you obtain a postgraduate degree

Job prospects are very limited in psychology unless you obtain a postgraduate degree

Even with a postgraduate qualification, they are still very limited!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,654 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Here's my list:

1. Gender Studies
    2. English
    3. Classics
    4. Theology/Philosophy
    5. Sociology

Honourable mention to Politics

Most useful:

1. Medicine
    2. Computer Science
    3. Physics/Chemistry
    4. Engineering
    5. Nursing

I once had a module in college on gender archaeology

I kid you not.
    It was insufferable

I kid you not.
    It was insufferable

You must be sick of the “Sheela na gigs” so.

I kid you not.
    It was insufferable

How? Why?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭Phoenix Wright

Even with a postgraduate qualification, they are still very limited!

If I could turn back time..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭Greyfox

It's not really. Clearly you need to actually attend college to learn C++. If you want to understand why a piece of literature is loved theirs plenty of free resources online that can teach you.

Advertisement