Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bank Holiday and Holiday

Options
  • 14-11-2019 7:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭

Maybe someone knows if it that is right with the regulations.
    I working 12 hours shift. I always have to work at bank holiday if this is my working day
    The factory is closed for the Christmas. I should work on December 25 and 26, but factory is closed . My employer said I have to take holiday for these 2 days, 25 and 26 december. These 2 days are bank holiday .
    s it legal that I have to enter holiday on bank holiday? Bank holiday is 8 hour and I work 12 hours.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,574 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

One company I worked in had accounted for our BH entitlement by adding hours to our AL allowance at the start of the year.

This way if your work day fell on a BH you had to take AL to have it off.

I know of other companies who do the same for their shift workers.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Arek

It is strange for me because it will look like this. The factory is closed 25 and 26, no one will work. You will be paid 8 hours for the bank holiday and 12 hours for the holiday. I work for 12 hours, i.e. 8 +12 will be paid for each day. And get rid of 24 hours of my holiday And days workers . Of course, people working only from Monday to Friday for 8 hours a day have a day off and do not have to take holiday.

Arek wrote: »
    It is strange for me because it will look like this. The factory is closed 25 and 26, no one will work. You will be paid 8 hours for the bank holiday and 12 hours for the holiday. I work for 12 hours, i.e. 8 +12 will be paid for each day. And get rid of 24 hours of my holiday

Shift and non shift employees often have different systems for accounting hours and holidays.

Having to take AL to get a BH off is something that happens but the company will need to show that you are still getting your statutory entitlement for the BH. Ask them about that.
    The company can absolutely tell you when you are to use your AL

Ok I give up. I just thought, why are these Bank Holidays? since companies can do whatever they want. Because certainly not for people.

Ok I give up. I just thought, why are these Bank Holidays? since companies can do whatever they want. Because certainly not for people.

What ??
    If the company are already compensation you for the Public holidays they are doing nothing wrong. Shift work has great advantages but also disadvantages like being expected to work weekends, nights and public holidays

• Advertisement

_Brian wrote: »
    What ??
    If the company are already compensation you for the Public holidays they are doing nothing wrong. Shift work has great advantages but also disadvantages like being expected to work weekends, nights and public holidays

I would like to work only from Monday to Friday. But in today's world it's hard to find such a job. I am still looking because I have enough of the current one.

I would like not to have this money but to have a day off.

But the topic was whether the company is closed and it is a bank holiday , I have to make me use holiday for this day. I would prefer to use it better

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

You have 8 hour "day" holidays? And the factory is closed for bank holiday for 2 days of your shift.

You should be paid 16 hours for the bank holidays and use 8 hours from your holidays for the rest of the shift (2 x4).

So yeah you have to take one day holiday or dont and dont get paid for 4 hours of each shift.

I would like to work only from Monday to Friday. But in today's world it's hard to find such a job. I am still looking because I have enough of the current one.

I would like not to have this money but to have a day off.

But the topic was whether the company is closed and it is a bank holiday , I have to make me use holiday for this day. I would prefer to use it better

If your standard roster includes the bank holidays as work days then yes, they can absolutely close the factory on that day and insist you take annual leave.

They aren’t being smart or mean or breaking any employment laws. There’s things about all our jobs we don’t like. When I worked shifts I was rostered in a number of Christmas Day and had to be there to work. It’s part of shift work in some companies.

Advertisement