Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Parent's Leave

Options
  • 14-11-2019 10:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 43

Hi All, I am wondering about the logistics about applying for the new 2 weeks Parent's Leave for the mother. My workplace doesn't know yet, as it is new. Basically, I am hoping to add it on to my full extended maternity leave.

I will start my 26 weeks of paid maternity leave in February, and then take the 16 weeks unpaid leave after, which will take me up to end of November. Then I should have enough holidays and bank holidays to allow me to come back at the beginning of the year 2021. I just wonder do I apply for the 2 weeks Parent's Leave at the end of next year then, or how should it be before? Do I need to take it at the beginning of January 2021, or end of November 2020, and then start to add up my holidays? It says on Citizens Information that you should apply at least 6 weeks before you intend to take it, but it doesn't give a maximum time before.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭jaja321

Hi All, I am wondering about the logistics about applying for the new 2 weeks Parent's Leave for the mother. My workplace doesn't know yet, as it is new. Basically, I am hoping to add it on to my full extended maternity leave.

I will start my 26 weeks of paid maternity leave in February, and then take the 16 weeks unpaid leave after, which will take me up to end of November. Then I should have enough holidays and bank holidays to allow me to come back at the beginning of the year 2021. I just wonder do I apply for the 2 weeks Parent's Leave at the end of next year then, or how should it be before? Do I need to take it at the beginning of January 2021, or end of November 2020, and then start to add up my holidays? It says on Citizens Information that you should apply at least 6 weeks before you intend to take it, but it doesn't give a maximum time before.

I'm not sure, but I remember on my last pregnancy I was told that you had to take all paid leave first and then unpaid.. think even my annual leave days were taken before my unpaid, so I would imagine it has to be taken before the unpaid kicks in - but I'm only surmising.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭AlwaysDoe

Not completely sure here either as it's new but I know the 16 weeks unpaid have to start directly after the 26 weeks paid so you'd take those first. The new two weeks paid parental leave has to be taken in the baby's first year so you could take that next after your unpaid leave... you'll have about 10 weeks or so but just make sure you take it before baby turns 1!

As a soon to be Father, i've been in touch with HR in my workplace quite a lot about this recently as I plan to take the paid Parental Leave directly after my paternity leave.
    One thing I noticed, is that in order to apply with Social Welfare - http://www.welfare.ie/en/Pages/parent-benefit.aspx
    and
    http://services.mywelfare.ie/en/topics/parents-children-family/parents-benefit/

I need the unborn childs PPSN. Seems I will only get to apply 2 weeks prior to taking the leave, but my work are happy with that

• Registered Users Posts: 43 clarnimhurchu

As a soon to be Father, i've been in touch with HR in my workplace quite a lot about this recently as I plan to take the paid Parental Leave directly after my paternity leave.
    One thing I noticed, is that in order to apply with Social Welfare - http://www.welfare.ie/en/Pages/parent-benefit.aspx
    and

I need the unborn childs PPSN. Seems I will only get to apply 2 weeks prior to taking the leave, but my work are happy with that

That's useful to know, and I had not noticed it, thanks! It will be a bit difficult for new fathers who want to take their four weeks leave all at once from when the baby is born, and have to give the notice to their company, but for a mother who is taking it after the allocated maternity leave, it is fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

and

I was looking into this and it was a bit messy needing certain info for applying for this through PeoplePoint (civil service). I'm going to take 2 weeks annual leave when the baby was born, just easier to move that or apply with short notice. Then I'll take 2 week paternity within 6 months and 2 weeks parent's leave within 12 months. More than likely they'll be within the first few months though.

You need your mygov.ie account set up to apply for this through welfare.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,340 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Unpaid mat leave has to be taken after the paid mat leave.

As it's new, it is hard to know exactly how its work. My guess would be your give the 4 week notification in middle of unpaid mat leave. Hr may not have procedures set yet, but should be same as unpaid parental.

Id ask my hr department, but then it's up to me to formalise the procedure (taking it after 2 weeks paternity leave)

Advertisement