Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Eir sim

• 14-11-2019 5:18pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,483 ✭✭✭✭

Eir have mobile broadband SIM only 50gb a month for €30.

They have a sim only phone deal unlimited data for 19.99 a month (9.99 for first 6 months)

Is there any reason why I can't or shouldn't buy the unlimited data offer and just put the SIM in my Eir hotshot to use as home broadband?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭advertsfox

You can get a GoMo SIM for €9.99 a month for 80GB mate. It will work in any Meteor, eMobile or Eir hotspot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

blade1 wrote: »
    Eir have mobile broadband SIM only 50gb a month for €30.

They have a sim only phone deal unlimited data for 19.99 a month (9.99 for first 6 months)

Is there any reason why I can't or shouldn't buy the unlimited data offer and just put the SIM in my Eir hotshot to use as home broadband?

There’s probably a condition that the phone sim isn’t to be used in a router.

Remember they will have debit or credit card details and could slap a massive data charge on if they wish.

_Brian wrote: »
    There’s probably a condition that the phone sim isn’t to be used in a router.

Remember they will have debit or credit card details and could slap a massive data charge on if they wish.
    They don't work that way and it's unlimited data with an 80GB fair usage cap, after which is throttled. They do also allow mobile broadband with their SIMs (it's a big seller for them) so this would easily be your best bet. See below, first post under data:

Can I tether on this plan?
    Yes - no restrictions on tethering.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058023567

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,483 ✭✭✭✭blade1

advertsfox wrote: »
    They don't work that way and it's unlimited data with an 80GB fair usage cap, after which is throttled. They do also allow mobile broadband with their SIMs (it's a big seller for them) so this would easily be your best bet. See below, first post under data:

Can I tether on this plan?
    Yes - no restrictions on tethering.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058023567

The 80gbs would do me and includes Eir sports( not sure how good that is)
    Would watching Eir sports use up your 80gb or would it be separate?
    Did consider gomo but people having issues and poor support is putting me off.

blade1 wrote: »
    The 80gbs would do me and includes Eir sports( not sure how good that is)
    Would watching Eir sports use up your 80gb or would it be separate?
    GoMo doesn't include Eir Sports but yes any IPTV streaming at all would use a lot of data. My device for IPTV used 120GB in the last 30 days.

EDIT: I know that Eir Sports doesn't affect usage on the Eir network, I'm unsure about GoMo. Belows message is from Eir site (who own GoMo).

SzWiNXd.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,483 ✭✭✭✭blade1

advertsfox wrote: »
    GoMo doesn't include Eir Sports but yes any IPTV streaming at all would use a lot of data. My device for IPTV used 120GB in the last 30 days.

EDIT: I know that Eir Sports doesn't affect usage on the Eir network, I'm unsure about GoMo. Belows message is from Eir site (who own GoMo).

SzWiNXd.png
    I wouldn't be a heavy user but I would stream a few matches each month and watch couple of films.
    I'm with Eir at the moment on 50gb for 19.99 which do but an extra 30g be nice.
    Bit weary of gomo at the moment but maybe it's just teething problems.
    I knew they were part of Eir.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,038 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

I have a D-Link DWR-921 and a borrowed Gomo SIM that I want to test for internet access.

It has options for Meteor, O2 and Vodafone in its settings.
    In its previous life it used a 3 sim from Rural Wifi.

I guess that the Meteor option would be the one to use, but is a user name and password required?

The intention is to test this for a relative before they commit to buying a GoMo SIM.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Meteor may well work but Id just set the eir/Gomo APN manually.

ED E wrote: »
    Meteor may well work but Id just set the eir/Gomo APN manually.

Any idea what the APN is for Gomo?

I have seen two different ones for both eir and Meteor, but none for Gomo so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭pizzahead77

Any idea what the APN is for Gomo?

I have seen two different ones for both eir and Meteor, but none for Gomo so far.

its the Meteor one - data.mymeteor.ie
    MCC - 272
    MNC - 03
    APN type - default,supl
    APN Protocol - IPv4

• Advertisement

its the Meteor one - data.mymeteor.ie
    MCC - 272
    MNC - 03
    APN type - default,supl
    APN Protocol - IPv4

Thank you!

I got a connection ..... but here is the rub ..... I believe I used the same settings earlier today and got no connection at all, yet tonight I get 4G, at 5 Mb/s down and 1 Mb/s up.

I posted this using it, so well satisfied that it works.

:)

Next test a few minutes later 9.5 Mb/s down and 1.2 Mb/s up.

Seems to be improving (10 pm) 48% to 51% signal reported

Is it possible that Gomo have limited the data on their SIM to 4G only?

I saw a message when I returned the SIM to the phone that 3G data was not available.

If that is the case then my problem this morning was likely a weak 4G signal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 510 ✭✭✭westyIrl

Not that it will probably make any difference, but the gomo sim in my brand neutral phone has data.myeirmobile.ie as it's apn by auto config. I'm pretty sure either will work but it seems gomo are dishing out both eir and meteor APN's for some reason.

I've tried it in a huawei E5186 and also a B593 and speeds and ping are fine : 60/20 approx (quiet sector, 800mhz). 3G also works ok. Weird thing is ( and I had the same issue with an Eir sim previously) is that I get random DNS issues that never occour when using a Three sim.

i.e. I can be surfing away fine and all of a sudden no webpage and diagnostics says that DNS server may not be available. I'm not using any custom DNS servers etc just a bare router setup. Switch back to Three sim...works perfectly.

Jim

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Is it possible that Gomo have limited the data on their SIM to 4G only?

I saw a message when I returned the SIM to the phone that 3G data was not available.

If that is the case then my problem this morning was likely a weak 4G signal.

The opposite. I've seen GoMo sims failing to promote from 3 to 4G when 4G becomes available.

No signs the network treats GoMo and eir sims differently.

ED E wrote: »
    The opposite. I've seen GoMo sims failing to promote from 3 to 4G when 4G becomes available.

No signs the network treats GoMo and eir sims differently.

I got a better look at the SIM behaviour today and all seems well.
    Also got to try a Vodafone sim in the router.

It now seems I can rely on the preset settings in the router to make connections, just putting in the PIN to get it working.

I have no idea what was wrong the first try .... but hey, so what all is good now :D

Advertisement