Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ireland vs New Zealand, International friendly, 7:45pm, RTE 2 & Sky Sports Football

124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭Dots1982

We scouted the friendlies well this year. Finding two teams that weren’t a archipelago or the Vatican state that we could score 3 goals against can’t have been easy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

Robinson looks way better up front than on the wing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Tangatagamadda Chaddabinga Bonga Bungo

How did New Zealand manage to go 18 months without a game?
    Gibraltar put them to shame, and they're not even a real country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,005 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Great shot although if it’s squared for Judge its 4-1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,005 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Fûck sake, again doing the simplest things poorly, costing us

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,200 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Really poor from Collins. Easy chance to square it for a tap in, or to have just finished earlier.

Brilliant from Robinson to earn the chance though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,544 ✭✭✭pgj2015

Zico ! wrote: »
    Snowflake society its like sue the one who lives on sky sports news taking one of the lads places on soccer Saturday

i honestly think mixed teams will be the next step:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Big save from Travers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,113 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

idiot

That muppet entered the field and prevented a decent attacking opportunity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,645 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

How did New Zealand manage to go 18 months without a game?
    Gibraltar put them to shame, and they're not even a real country.

This is the first game they have lost in 18 months. Some record.
    (Unless they get 2 in injury time).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,350 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Seanie man of the match, wouldn't think that reading this thread

• Registered Users Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

That muppet entered the field and prevented a decent attacking opportunity.

Has McClean come on?

Seanie man of the match, wouldn't think that reading this thread

You might if you just didn't read one lad's comments.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,070 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Thought Brady was worse than useless.

Impressed with O'Connor, Maguire.

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭Zico !

Damien are you impressed zzzzzzzzzzz

Load of alts will attack you of one poster be careful.

Decent night. Thought Cullen and O'Connor did well.

Maguire excellent in the second half.

Robinson better up front.

Cullen and Browne real options instead of Whelan.

Byrne was good also.

Bradys deliveries are good but he needs a move from Burnley maybe. Looks unfit.

Happy enough with that in the end.

Maguire got better as the game went on and scored a lovely goal.

O'Connor and Parrott getting an assist each on debut.

Cullen again looked good and should be an option for midfield but the fact he played 90 mins suggests Mick isn't considering him unfortunately.

Good to see Robinson chip in with a goal. Hopefully that'll do good confidence the world of good.

Worried about Monday now as Mick is going to pick the same players he's been picking for the rest of qualification.

• Advertisement

Impressed with O'Connor, Maguire.

I think thats harsh. Brady was poor but not as bad as some would make out. His set pieces and crossing was really good. Id agree he isnt an option for Monday based on tonight but McGoldrick really needs some decent service.

sugarman wrote: »
    Hes way off the mark, can barely run.. wasnt arsed tracking back ...crossing from normal play was very poor, has no right foot.. kept turning onto his left and New Zealand defense copped it right away.

No fear of him starting Monday away.

Cullen, Byrne, Browne, Robinson and Maguire done themsleves no harm tonight and hopefully gave Mick some food for thought.. even as impact subs instead of bleedin Hogan or Judge.

Anyone notice how flat the midfield went once Browne and Bryne went off? O'Dowda and Hourihane werent showing for it half as much and were very slow on the ball when they had it.. oftening turning for a pass back rather than trying to make a bit of room and pick out forward pass.

O'Dowda can on at LB didn't he?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,603 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

More entertaining game than I thought it would be in fairness, still glad I didn't go up to it though. Thought Cullen, Maguire, Byrne and Browne were fairly good out there, as were Williams and O'Connor, holding onto the ball more meant the full backs could push on. Will any of them have done enough to give Mick something to think about for Monday? Probably not, Cullen probably the most impressive of the lot I thought. Parrott didn't do badly at all but it would be silly throwing him into the deep end with so little experience of senior football.

Brady was worryingly poor especially in the second half, I thought his delivery was decent but he looks unfit or off the pace of general play, at times it looked like he was trying overly hard to impress and things didn't come off for him. Robinson looked lively when coming on and got a goal so he might keep hold of the right midfield position. I do not remember Alan Judge getting on the ball once since he came on, I have nothing against the guy but surely to god Byrne should be ahead of him in the pecking order now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,544 ✭✭✭pgj2015

is she going out with seanie or something?

Hes way off the mark, can barely run.. wasnt arsed tracking back ...crossing from normal play was very poor, has no right foot.. kept turning onto his left and New Zealand defense copped it right away.

No fear of him starting Monday away.

Cullen, Byrne, Browne, Robinson and Maguire done themsleves no harm tonight and hopefully gave Mick some food for thought.. even as impact subs instead of bleedin Hogan or Judge.

Anyone notice how flat the midfield went once Browne and Bryne went off? O'Dowda and Hourihane werent showing for it half as much and were very slow on the ball when they had it.. oftening turning for a pass back rather than trying to make a bit of room and pick out forward pass.

Yeh Browne amd Byrne had a hunger and urgency to get on the ball and go forward with it. Hourihane didnt really show. Odowda is a funny type of player.

Parrott didn't take his chance

What's your issue with him?

Good assist for Maguire in fairness.

Troy Parrott is only 17. Not 18 until Febuary.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

Positives: Maguire's goal(didnt think his overall contribution was that good) Josh Cullen, Byrne (first half) Lee O'Connor (2nd half mainly) Alan Browne. Thought our midfield play was decent/

Negatives: Robbie Brady, Parrot was ok but I think their is too much hype surrounding. Very good young player but needs more first team experience

• Advertisement

wadacrack wrote: »
    Positives: Maguire's goal(didnt think his overall contribution was that good) Josh Cullen, Byrne (first half) Lee O'Connor (2nd half mainly) Alan Browne. Thought our midfield play was decent/

Negatives: Robbie Brady, Parrot was ok but I think their is too much hype surrounding. Very good young player but needs more first team experience

Let Parrott back to his own age group until he makes a breakthrough at 1st team level. Lets not rush the lad. Another 12 - 18 months will be huge for him. I agree with yoh.

Let Parrott back to his own age group until he makes a breakthrough at 1st team level. Lets not rush the lad. Another 12 - 18 months will be huge for him. I agree with yoh.

Would hope he'll get a loan move next season to get some first team football in the championship.

Hopefully today is the end of Scott Hogan being the bench striker we look to bring on late anyway, would much much prefer Maguire coming on.

pgj2015 wrote: »
    is she going out with seanie or something?

She knows him from her time at Cork. Nice to see a connection like that when access to players is so limited.

Any of these guys tonight do enough to take mcclean and Hendrick spots

One or two of these players are in with a shout for the playoffs.

Good night's work. Shame about the careless goal conceded.

But i'm content.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭franglan

That's as good of a cross as you'll see from O'Connor - a right good whip. A dream to be able to attack that cross-good direction on the finish from Callum.

• Advertisement

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Would hope he'll get a loan move next season to get some first team football in the championship.

Hopefully today is the end of Scott Hogan being the bench striker we look to bring on late anyway, would much much prefer Maguire coming on.

Rubbish he's on the bench at spurs making headway making the odd appearance.

Any of these guys tonight do enough to take mcclean and Hendrick spots

Certainly i think cullen and browne would be an upgrade on Whelan and Hendrick. I just think our best system would be to push stevens and doherty on as wing backs which means we wouldnt need McLean.

Certainly i think cullen and browne would be an upgrade on Whelan and Hendrick. I just think our best system would be to push stevens and doherty on as wing backs which means we wouldnt need McLean.

What abt brady

What abt brady

Judging on what we saw tonight he needs more football. I think with that he could be an option if we have to go via the play off route. I think hes a better option centrally too than on the wing. Giid corner for williams goal. Put a ball on a plate for seani too and odowda which the defender done really well to clear.

Looks like mick agrees with my assessment of Brady being not up to it

• Advertisement

McCarthy is not impressed with Brady, unsurprisingly.

Looks like mick agrees with my assessment of Brady being not up to it

Mick has scott hogan in the squad.

Mick more or less just said Brady isnt up to it yet and wont play on Monday.

Yet. Which he isnt. But i think with games he will get there. 90 minutes tonight will do him the world of good. But yeh he was way off it at times.

Rubbish he's on the bench at spurs making headway making the odd appearance.

What, rubbish that a loan move for Parrott to play more would be a good thing? Erm, ok... a few minutes here and there is great for this season, but he's good enough to being starting 30 games a season in the championship. I mean, we've already seen that when one of Spurs forwards are missing, he doesn't come in to replace them. And there's nothing wrong with that, they have great players ahead of him. So Spurs doing exactly what they did to develop Kane wouldn't be a half bad idea - worked for them pretty well before! Can then come back and challenge.

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    What, rubbish that a loan move for Parrott to play more would be a good thing? Erm, ok... a few minutes here and there is great for this season, but he's good enough to being starting 30 games a season in the championship. I mean, we've already seen that when one of Spurs forwards are missing, he doesn't come in to replace them. And there's nothing wrong with that, they have great players ahead of him. So Spurs doing exactly what they did to develop Kane wouldn't be a half bad idea - worked for them pretty well before! Can then come back and challenge.

Dont bite. That lad is under his duvet posting in case his Ma catches him.

Yeah, as in half a seasons worth. Should look to go on loan in January to drum up some interest for a summer move given hes out of contract ...and even more so to get himself in the reckoning for Euro 2020 if we're to qualify.

Agreed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,941 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

The rugby lads are good at beating them in friendlies too.

Advertisement