Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vacant House - Bad weather

Options
  • 14-11-2019 10:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 316 ✭✭

Hi all, just wondering with the cold temperatures on the way, what do people do with an empty property that is for sale, set the central heating on timer, is there a possibility that pipes may freeze if left alone, thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

Having some heating on on a timer and if radiators have thermostats setting them on a low or anti-frost setting should help prevent pipes freezing and the house getting damp.

I'd also suggest turning off the water to minimise any risk of water damage just in case of a leak despite the precaution of having some background heating.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

Interesting thread! I'm sale agreed on a vacant house that is going through a long drawn out probate process. I am concerned for the house as the weather gets worse. It has been empty for a year now, and there's no oil in the tank at all so I know there's no heating coming on at all. I really hope somebody has the sense to keep an eye on it, but I'm worried it is just abandoned completely now they have a buyer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭MAJJ

Having some heating on on a timer and if radiators have thermostats setting them on a low or anti-frost setting should help prevent pipes freezing and the house getting damp.

I'd also suggest turning off the water to minimise any risk of water damage just in case of a leak despite the precaution of having some background heating.

This and also ensure plumbing is lagged and joints checked. We had a small leak that thankfully only drained the attic tank but it still caused a lot of damage over a few months.

Ensure your boiler is regularly serviced and vents outlets are clear.

We had snow , blocked boiler outlet , it shut down bolier, pipes froze, burst ........

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Interesting thread! I'm sale agreed on a vacant house that is going through a long drawn out probate process. I am concerned for the house as the weather gets worse. It has been empty for a year now, and there's no oil in the tank at all so I know there's no heating coming on at all. I really hope somebody has the sense to keep an eye on it, but I'm worried it is just abandoned completely now they have a buyer.

Do an inspection before signing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭C3PO

thelawman wrote: »
    Hi all, just wondering with the cold temperatures on the way, what do people do with an empty property that is for sale, set the central heating on timer, is there a possibility that pipes may freeze if left alone, thanks

I would also be checking that my insurance policy is still valid if the house is not being lived in!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,523 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

C3PO wrote: »
    I would also be checking that my insurance policy is still valid if the house is not being lived in!

This is the most important point. Getting insurance on vacant properties is difficult and the insurers insist that water is turned off at stopcock. If you read through your policy it may stipulate that house cannot be vacant for more than 30 days.

If you are concerned about cold weather and don’t want to have the expense of heating it for a couple of months, turn off water supply.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,940 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Dav010 wrote: »
    If you are concerned about cold weather and don’t want to have the expense of heating it for a couple of months, turn off water supply.

At very least the water should be turned off.

Overall - follow the advice of the insurance company. Depending on the heating and plumbing systems involved, they may want certain things done, which take a couple of hours of a plumber's time.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 82 ✭✭Bdjsjsjs

Id imagine pipes freezing is extremely rare. Even vacant houses in this weather remain well above 5C, even above 10C but that been said I wouldn't want to take a risk. Pipes might be insulated but usually the insulation is poorly fitted.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

In old house,s pipes may not be insulated ,especially in the attic or near the water tank.
    there will still be water in the tank, even after the water is knocked off.
    as above make sure your house insurance is paid for .
    Maybe switch off esb at the main consumer unit , fuse box,
    before you leave the house .

• Advertisement
Advertisement