Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Adding money to debit card for first time..?

• 15-11-2019 1:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 2

I recently opened an An Post current account as I turned 18 a couple months ago. I haven't added any money to my card yet though as I deal with very bad social anxiety and I'm pretty terrified. The lady at my local post office is lovely yet I still haven't managed to get over that "first experience" hump. Once that happens, I know it'll be doable from that point onwards.
    I need €30 on my card tomorrow as I'm signing up to the CAO website in my careers class, so I really have to take the leap now.

What do I do when I get in there? What do I say? How will the whole process work?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,479 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Saw your post earlier and hoped that someone with an An Post debit card might have replied by now. I don't have an account but I'll give you some general observations......

I checked the An Post website and it's not clear if you have to fill in a lodgement form or if you can simply hand the card and cash to the teller to lodge the money. Friday is Old Age Pension day so go as late as you can and first, check the floor area of the PO before you get to the teller, see if there is a rack with lodgement slips because you do not want to queue up, then discover that you have to go away and fill in a form. If there are lodgement forms, fill one out, then go to the counter with the form, your debit card and the cash.

Unless someone who has this type of account can advise otherwise, it may be possible to lodge with the card alone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Liam D Ferguson

You need to lodge money to your current account. The debit card that is attached to this current account will then take the money out of your current account. So, strictly speaking, you're not adding money to your debit card; you're lodging it to your current account.

Go down to your post office with the €30 and have the details of your An Post current account with you - the IBAN number from any correspondence you got when you opened the account. If you then tell the staff member that you want to lodge the €30 to your account, they should sort you out.

As it's your first time doing this, could you ask a friend or family member to come with you on this occasion?

Best of luck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Liam D Ferguson

Sorry - my post crossed with coylemj.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭landofthetree

No forms needed to be filled out.

You just go into the post office and then up to one of the tellers.

Just tell them you want to Lodge money in your an Post Smart account. Tell them how much you want to put in.

You just pop your card into the terminal and key in your pin.

The teller will had a piece of paper for you to sign. Then they will give you a receipt which tells you how much you have lodged and what your balance is.

That's pretty much it.

One thing to note is that the transaction costs 60 cent.

So you will need to Lodge €30.60 to have a balance of €30.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭landofthetree

Btw as your a student you would be able to get free banking with the likes of AIB,BOI, etc.

https://personalbanking.bankofireland.com/bank/current-accounts/2nd-level-current-account/features-benefits/

Plus the likes of BOI has machines where you can Lodge cash in branch and don't have to deal with staff. Ok maybe the first time you may need help to figure it but the staff tend to be well trained and very friendly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,479 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Plus the likes of BOI has machines where you can Lodge cash in branch and don't have to deal with staff. Ok maybe the first time you may need help to figure it but the staff tend to be well trained and very friendly.

A lot of external BoI ATMs can take cash lodgements. The sign above the user panel will clearly show 'Lodgement'.

On the BoI website 'branch locator' there is a map showing branches and ATMs, external lodgement ATMs are marked in purple.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Taymahr

Thank you all for your replies! I put it off until later this week, so I'll keep in mind all that you have said. I feel a bit more confident with this now, I appreciate the help hugely.

Advertisement