Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FTTH ONT

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

The ONT is doing some extra complicated stuff with VLANs so I doubt you're going to be able to just spoof a MAC address and connect but feel free to try if you wish and let us know how you get on.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭kevincork

The ONT is doing some extra complicated stuff with VLANs so I doubt you're going to be able to just spoof a MAC address and connect but feel free to try if you wish and let us know how you get on.

Ok, though the VLAN 10 (internet) was managed from the ISP side and the ONT only had a VLAN for management

I created an account with huawei to have access to they full docs, seems like the ONT is on subnet as expected
    192.168.100.100/25

The ONT takes the customer VLAN (10) and swaps it for a service VLAN to identify each operator (ISP). The service VLAN tag is not visible to the user or the operator so I'm not sure how you'll find it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Is this another one of those cases where he should let his neighbours know they may be without service for a while before he tries it?

tuxy wrote: »
    Is this another one of those cases where he should let his neighbours know they may be without service for a while before he tries it?

Potentially, although more likely he gets blacklisted and might have to contact his ISP to get back online which should be an interesting conversation!

• Advertisement
  • Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,801 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

The linked article describes a bidi SFP. That's not even remotely the same thing as GPON (apart from the fact that PON also uses bidirectional fibre).

You can't get rid of the ONT. Put the idea out of your mind.

What is this massive issue some people have with the ONT?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Andyfromsligo
    Kevincork

....I'm starting to see a trend here. Next we'll have BrianOfLouth on asking why the ONT doesnt come in green, black and purple.

What is this massive issue some people have with the ONT?

First : not sure why Huawei is trusted in EU they should get ban (probably only good call the US ever made)

Two : the router is powered over PoE, switch / router are all wired 20m away, with the ONT I need two UPS (one only for the ONT...) (+ a random horrible box and cable on the wall)

Three : Don’t like ISP gear in general, like they FritzBox

Last : like open thing but I guess I can forgot about that in Ireland anyway

Seems to have some case in US / Canada with people bypassing the ONT but guess it’s a different setup

Oh also small perf improvement + don’t require Ethernet (can start a list of con for Ethernet VS pro for fiber)

kevincork wrote: »
    First : not sure why Huawei is trusted in EU they should get ban (probably only good call the US ever made)

Is that your main problem and do you plan on bypassing the OLT which is probably also Huawei.

Sounds like a major headache, you could try going back to DSL or even better use a small wireless ISP.

• Advertisement

Is that your main problem and do you plan on bypassing the OLT which is probably also Huawei.

Sounds like a major headache, you could try going back to DSL or even better use a small wireless ISP.

Yes you have a point for the OLT and the global telecommunication infrastructure but still limiting from my side plus the other points

Did had my own wireless setup over 4G before but work in a big company which require a huge bandwidth

• Registered Users Posts: 14,011 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

You trust the USA more? :eek:

You would wonder what desktop or laptop Kevin uses when both Intel and AMD have management engines that run in the background and there's no way of telling what they do. This is not just speculation like there is with Huawei but a known fact.

I'd rather China spying on me as it's the US that would have the power to extradite if they find something they don't like.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,011 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

You would wonder what desktop or laptop Kevin uses when both Intel and AMD have management engines that run in the background and there's no way of telling what they do. This is not just speculation like there is with Huawei but a known fact.

I'd rather China spying on me as it's the US that would have the power to extradite if they find something they don't like.

Although I had not previously thought of it that way, I tend to agree with you.

don't think I ever said that
    "probably only good call the US ever made"

we can talk about security all days, there is backdoor nearly everywhere (probably more in CHN product though....)

They is so much fact when CHN gouvernement was directly collecting data from unpatched security flow

same gouvernement which own Huawei just FYI or have a AI social score which won't let people buy airplane ticket because they didn't cross the road properly

anyway I guess the main topic was I wanted to bypass the ONT, just gonna get a second UPC just for the 5V ONT

A part of me wants you to try to replace the ONT, just to see the mess it may cause.
    Someone will try it eventually.

A part of me wants you to try to replace the ONT, just to see the mess it may cause.
    Someone will try it eventually.

in the worst case you get disconnected and have to plug the ONT back.

Now, some seems to say "you not allowed to do that" which I'm not sure whatever it's the case or not, but that would be very sad, especially that it's some hardware running inside your house.... then yes I guess you can get ban from the ISP as they gonna see an unauthorised MAC address and vendors equipment.

looking at the ONT webif, it's seems that this need to be registered to the OLT ...
    (I didn't had time to try SSH yet)

-- nothing to do with the subject but if some are curious about what the ONT GUI look like, here is some screenshot.

~You can connect yourself, by plugging a computer to the ethernet port, and settings the IP address of the computer to 192.168.100.100 / 255.255.255.0 and navigate to 192.168.100.1 , user root, password admin

https://ibb.co/KjvYSD8
    https://ibb.co/cNnfPXk
    https://ibb.co/7SH9FJX
    https://ibb.co/JkYSNb8

in the worst case you get disconnected and have to plug the ONT back.
    So, not possibility of a custom setup like this causing problems and acting as a rogue ONT?

You would wonder why Eir spent so much time and money on the testing phase.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Send light at the wrong time and you take down everyone on your fiber. Theres a reason to not allow 3rd party kit.

• Advertisement

So, not possibility of a custom setup like this causing problems and acting as a rogue ONT?

You would wonder why Eir spent so much time and money on the testing phase.

I’m not even talking about changing the configuration though

— also probably because Éir knowledge is near zero ... I mean outside been a network enthusiast, I never study anything I this mater, but when KN and Eir came to me a few time when I had an issue they knowledge was chocking !

I’m with Digiweb and the Eir network manager as trying to test my connection with a Eir modem and didn’t understand why this couldn’t connect.... I had to show him how is own modem was working and found the PPOE settings to make it work

ED E wrote: »
    Send light at the wrong time and you take down everyone on your fiber. Theres a reason to not allow 3rd party kit.

Kevin seems to know better with his deep understanding of GPON
    How should that cause any issue to the network ?
    I’m not even talking about changing the configuration

It's good that you are not considering using another ONT because that would be a mistake.

Kevin seems to know better with his deep understanding of GPON

It's good that you are not considering using another ONT because that would be a mistake.

Don’t believe I said that but whatever ....

ED E wrote: »

It’s interesting, I though OLT converts the standard signals used by fiber optic service (FiOS) to the frequency and framing used by PON system.

Again the own ONT subject is close but just curious how is not a massive security flow ? From what you saying (and I’m not saying otherwise) anyone can basically take down a network just by messing around with an ONT, and they add this to consumer’s house, that seems unbelievable (again I’m not doubting what you saying)

Don’t believe I said that but whatever ....

I'm confused, have you decided that you will or won't be changing the ONT?
    if you think you can find hardware that may be compatible how do you plan to test it without the chance of compromising the network for all your neighbours.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

It’s interesting, I though OLT converts the standard signals used by fiber optic service (FiOS) to the frequency and framing used by PON system.

Again the own ONT subject is close but just curious how is not a massive security flow ? From what you saying (and I’m not saying otherwise) anyone can basically take down a network just by messing around with an ONT, and they add this to consumer’s house, that seems unbelievable (again I’m not doubting what you saying)

Not quite like that. Every cluster consists of up to 128 customers. In OpenEIRs case, that's only 31, but still.

If there is a rogue ONT or GPON SFP module on this cluster, then it can take all 31 customers down. It would not affect other ports on the OLT.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 9 WaitingFTTH

Resurrecting an old thread…...

I will shortly have an FTTH install on the openeir network.

I want to use a fibre FritzBox 5530 as my network device.

The ONT that will be installed - so I'm told - will be a Huawei unit which will deliver ethernet.

Is there an option to request a fibre-only ONT which will provide a fibre output to feed the FritzBox 5530 directly?

I want to avoid ethernet if possible.

Anyone know if this is possible?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭heavydawson

It sounds like you don't need an ONT at all - the Fritzbox is the ONT in your desired case. What's wrong with the Ethernet option? You just don't want the extra cable?

• Registered Users Posts: 9 WaitingFTTH

I am limited with space in my home office and want to minimise cables and power sources.

I'm new to fibre and have been told that the service provider ONT is required as it provides the user authentication with the OLT.

I thought, as you say, that the FritzBox could be the ONT but I'm told that is not possible.

If there is way to connect the incoming fibre to the FritzBox then I'd like to know about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭alec76

Probably possible with the proper skill set and knowledge. OpenEir definitely won't be happy about it though.

Best advice, stay away from it .

Regular Router could be connected directly to ONT, so why would you need your own Fiber modem( ONT) in the first place?

Advertisement