Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Internet Troll gets three years

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭Salary Negotiator

Here is a guy who clearly has mental health issues - he even said he was suicidal during the abuse - whose threats were exclusively made online gets 3 years :

https://m.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/his-campaign-of-harassment-against-us-went-on-for-years-female-writers-and-journalists-speak-out-after-internet-troll-jailed-for-three-years-38692690.html

Yet people with multiple violent assaults get suspended sentences? Is the lesson here that if he actually physically assaulted his victims he would have gotten a lesser sentence?

This is not some misguided defence of free speech, I totally agree he should have faced sanction, preferably in a mental health unit, but THREE YEARS is a murder level sentence.

No it's not.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,512 ✭✭✭Wheety

It was a prolonged and sustained campaign. Nearly 6 years. He won't serve the full 3 years either.

What do you think would have been an appropriate sentence?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Wheety wrote: »
    It was a prolonged and sustained campaign. Nearly 6 years. He won't serve the full 3 years either.

6 months, its just words on the internet...

I suspect if it wasnt female journalists who love the victim card and turning on the crocodile tears then ut would have been more reasonable

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

The sentence is justified but he clearly needs help to become a more normal member of society.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

I think if they were male jorno's he'll have got a slap on the wrist if even that

• Advertisement

c.p.w.g.w wrote: »
    I think if they were male jorno's he'll have got a slap on the wrist if even that

Well, why didn't he pick male journalists?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

John Berry BL, prosecuting, told Judge Martin Nolan that all the cases shared similar features in that each of the women Doolin targeted either worked as journalists or had a strong social media presence, particularly on twitter.
    https://www.msn.com/en-ie/news/newsireland/his-campaign-of-harassment-against-us-went-on-for-years-female-writers-and-journalists-speak-out-after-internet-troll-jailed-for-three-years/ar-BBWKI21
    Det Gda Gallagher said each of the women received hundreds of emails, usually using the same unusual font, containing insults such as calling the women “wannabes, nobodies, whiteist, bigots, lefties and pseudo intellectuals.”

He accused them of being narcissistic attention seekers, self-obsessed and concerned with their own self-promotion, referring to their “twitter bubble” and suggesting that they don't care for others.

Doolin used the same insult twice with two different women telling them they were “as interesting as a bucket of water and as deep as the goldfish in it” and said in other messages “I love the middle class whiteist, the shiny white people”.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭Mezzotint

3 years seems reasonable enough to me given the amount of distress he was likely causing and if the Gardai had (and it sounds like they were) contacted he had ample opportunity to stop.

Three people I know (both male and female) were very badly stalked and it is horrific and absolutely life altering stuff because it's absolutely relentless and designed to terrify.

It's very easy to underestimate how serious this stuff is. In one case one of the people I know ended up quitting university to get away from the stalker and had all sorts of horrific false accusations made about them and practically had a nervous breakdown that took years to get over.

I think our anti harassment / stalking laws are far, far too weak as things tend to get to extreme levels before there's an ability for Gardai to intervene.

I would agree that there needs to be a mental health intervention too, as some of this stuff can be driven by various psychological / psychiatric issues and also that in some cases an prison sentence, even a prison sentence may not solve the problem, but I think that also applies across a whole range of offending in Ireland and not just this. We need a lot more psychological intervention to break cycles of offending sooner rather than when it escalates to this kind of level.

But I would agree with the lengthy sentence. It's also important to drive home that this is a serious offence that will be taken seriously by a court and that is an element of the role of criminal law. It lays down a marker of what is most definitely intolerable behaviour.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,236 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Did I just hear a bunch of re-regs swallowing hard?

:pac:

I suspect if it wasnt female journalists who love the victim card and turning on the crocodile tears then ut would have been more reasonable

So young people being bullied on the Internet, enough in some cases to attempt to take their own lives, should just be told it's only words?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,231 ✭✭✭TomSweeney

Exactly, I'd say the just loved playing the victim.
    In 2019 it seems a great way to get ahead - play the oppression Olympics.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭antix80

In this case, prison is a good shout.
    No internet, and he'll have access to support.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

Well, why didn't he pick male journalists?

I don't know, maybe his a misogynist...

So young people being bullied on the Internet, enough in some cases to attempt to take their own lives, should just be told it's only words?
    I agree with you here, but the comparison isn't fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,041 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Good riddance

TomSweeney wrote: »
    I agree with you here, but the comparison isn't fair.

Well that seems to be the attitude of some people.

Just because it's the Internet, doesn't mean you can say and do anything and there be no consequences, just because 'it's only words'.

c.p.w.g.w wrote: »

The fact that they were exclusively female is key to the crime FFS.

:rolleyes:

One of them tried to actually help him, he ramped up the abuse towards her.

Absolute cretin who knew the difference between right and wrong.

I also think we need to stop using the term "internet troll" to describe this kind of thing. It's not trolling. It's serious harassment and stalking.

Using the term "troll" somehow diminishes the seriousness of the offence but also conflates it with light hearted wind up merchants on forums who, while annoying, are not committing criminal offences or going out to cause hurt and harm.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

He clearly needs help and somehow fixated on these women.
    Not sure prison is the way to go though.

Boggles wrote: »
    The fact that they were exclusively female is key to the crime FFS.

:rolleyes:

One of them tried to actually help him, he ramped up the abuse towards her.

Absolute cretin who knew the difference between right and wrong.
    hmm, this does change things ...

• Advertisement

This guy was mentally ill. Most people have better things to do than obsess over strangers on the internet. Why isn't some sort of mandatory mental health intervention the first port of call?

Kudos to the woman who tried to help him BTW.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,483 ✭✭✭valoren

Sounds to me like he was the one playing the victim card, claiming he was suicidal during the period of abuse. He was asked to stop, he continued and proactive steps were taken to get him to stop. Interestingly, when the seriousness of the charges are laid out to him presumably by his solicitor, he maintains he was suicidal. He was clearly obsessed, it was completely over the top but he should not be surprised for getting into trouble for it.

I think being committed to a mental health institution would have been a more appropriate sentence.

Mezzotint wrote: »
    I also think we need to stop using the term "internet troll" to describe this kind of thing. It's not trolling. It's serious harassment and stalking.

Using the term "troll" somehow diminishes the seriousness of the offence but also conflates it with light hearted wind up merchants on forums who, while annoying, are not committing criminal offences or going out to cause hurt and harm.

This is true. I'd say some trolls on boards are thinking "Hey, he's just a troll like me, he's not so bad".

I think being committed to a mental health institution would have been a more appropriate sentence.

Based on?

The report furnished to the court didn't say he didn't know right from wrong.

You can have mental illness and know exactly what you are doing is wrong.

I imagine he was getting some form of gratification from it, probably sexual.

An absolute menace to society and I can only imagine how scared the victims were when he started mentioning home addresses.

Well that's certainly a better suggestion than "It's only women. Men would just get on with it".

This country is fairly lacking in the mental health stakes. There are people who have done a lot worse than him and they're not sent to a mental health institution. We just don't have the facilities to treat everyone. It's a major failing of the state.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

I'm not getting the outrage OP - Fúck him, he got what he deserved!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

"Mental health institutuons" are for treatment, not punishment. And having mental health problems doesn't usually absolve someone of responsibility for their crimes. He can have treatment in prison.

The law around this definitely needs to be modernised because the internet has made this stuff easier and more commonplace. My observation of it is that the Gardai and courts need to be able to intervene much sooner and maybe deflect someone into solving whatever issues are causing their behaviour through tackling whatever is going on in their world view and mental state.

However, it doesn't take away from the seriousness of what happened in this case, but that also doesn't mean we shouldn't be examining what laws and processes we have to deal with obsessive stalking type behaviours and harassment / stalking.

That being said you'll always get an element of society who commit crimes and engage in seriously antisocial behaviour and there has to be some sanction for that. I think we can also end up going far too soft on what are very serious and disturbing crimes and send our a message that they're somehow not the perpetrators' responsibility.

A big part of criminal law is that it acts as a deterrent and that's something I would suspect this sentence will be.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

biko wrote: »

He wasn’t wrong though...

I was expecting the usual ‘ill murder you in your sleep’ it appears he was just spitting truth

Advertisement