Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Internet Troll gets three years

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭Ashbourne hoop

Just because other sentences may seem light doesn't mean this one was too severe. I think it's right. Stalking someone is horrendous.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭sk8erboii

6 months, its just words on the internet...

I suspect if it wasnt female journalists who love the victim card and turning on the crocodile tears then ut would have been more reasonable

Lol. This case sets a precedence against most posters on current affairs. Its over for you all. And its not a coincidence he’s a mentally ill social outcast either.

Lets face it. In the real public world, you’d get slammed for the idiocy posted on here. Thats why trolls congregate on boards.ie - its their safe space. No longer soon, thankfully

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

I suffered ongoing harassment from an ex a number of years ago. Even though I was fairly certain he was no physical threat to me, I can't tell you the damage it does to your mental health. I remember one day (the worst day of it) I had texts coming from 2 numbers, calls coming in from private numbers, emails coming from a new email account (after I blocked one) and facebook messenger lighting up from fake profiles - all from him, all non-stop. It would stop for a while, maybe a few days, maybe a week or 2 and then start back up. I never knew when it would happen, but it did. I tried everything and ended up going to the gardai myself in the end.

I remember waiting on news about a sick relative and him just blowing up my phone. I remember waiting to hear back from job interviews in 2012 and still feeling uneasy every time I saw a private number. I remember a night away with some friends where I had 38 missed calls in 2 hours.

That went on from 2011 to 2014. I still don't take my phone off silent, ever.

You might say "ah it's a few messages, the poor lad isn't well" but you do not know how badly the spurts of it hit you. You could be having the best day of your life, and then you receive a barrage of contact and it sours it completely..

That's pretty bad and must have been tough. The case in point is somewhat different in AFAIK he wasn't txting their mobile phones. Was he not using Twitter and other social media platforms, that is a different level. These women are adults, educated and media savvy writers / journalists. People who are opinionated tend to attract opinons. They surely had the ability to ignore and/or block messages that they didn't like.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,022 Mod ✭✭✭✭wiggle16

BarryD2 wrote: »
    That's pretty bad and must have been tough. The case in point is somewhat different in AFAIK he wasn't txting their mobile phones. Was he not using Twitter and other social media platforms, that is a different level. These women are adults, educated and media savvy writers / journalists. People who are opinionated tend to attract opinons. They surely had the ability to ignore and/or block messages that they didn't like.

"Didn't like" is a different level to what these women were dealing with.

They did ignore and block him. He circumvented these things.

He had the ability to stop sending hundreds of abusive messages to people who did nothing to warrant them. He didn't.

It's ridiculous that people are still trying to turn it around on these women and minimise the man's culpability.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭charlietheminxx

BarryD2 wrote: »

I'm an adult and an educated woman too, it doesn't make it any less horrible or easier to ignore :confused: Apparently any time they blocked an email address or twitter handle, he set up a new one...it sounds like it was a full time job for him. Given their somewhat public profile, it's not like they could set everything at the top level privacy limit so nobody could contact them. It wasn't just them either, it was their friends and family. Imagine how that must feel.

I'm not sure if he had their numbers or not, but everything is so digital now that it doesn't make so much of a difference.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

You just know some of the ‘concerned citizens’ here aren’t married and have no daughters.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

Faugheen wrote: »
    You just know some of the ‘concerned citizens’ here aren’t married and have no daughters.

I would be concerned if you were....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭tdf7187

My 2c is that sentence may well be about right, that doesn't change fact that some sentences for violent crime are disgracefully lenient in this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Sentence isn't severe enough tbh. After his sentence he needs to be remanded in the central mental hospital until it can be shown that he no longer presents a threat to others. Prime candidate for escalating his hate into stalking and physical assault when he gets out.

The guy is a walking stereotype of the kind of troll who goes on about "lefties", "anti-white bias" and "men under attack".

Doesn't surprise me to see some of the same heads on here defending him. When's the last time some of you guys left your parent's spare room and went outside?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,686 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

A three-year prison sentence for calling them "wannabes, nobodies, whiteist, bigots, lefties and pseudo-intellectuals" seems bizarre, especially for a mentally ill recluse who left his home twice in 17 years.

It will also have the effect of chilling free speech in Ireland. People will now think twice about calling out female public figures on social media for fear of being hauled before the courts.

A three year sentence for harassment, including threats and making them aware he had their home addresses.

• Advertisement

sk8erboii wrote: »
    Lol. This case sets a precedence against most posters on current affairs. Its over for you all. And its not a coincidence he’s a mentally ill social outcast either.

Lets face it. In the real public world, you’d get slammed for the idiocy posted on here. Thats why trolls congregate on boards.ie - its their safe space. No longer soon, thankfully

Pot-calling-the-kettle-black-734818.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,686 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

A recluse who had left his house twice in the previous 17 years?

Hardly seems likely, does it?

Information gleaned from the trial. The women wouldn't have been aware of that.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭sk8erboii

IAMAMORON wrote: »
    Pot-calling-the-kettle-black-734818.jpg

Lol nah mate. Rereg trolls should face jail time though. The sh*te they say is truly pathological.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

I'd like to say I'm shocked at the posts here from the usual suspects, downplaying the severity & significance of the crimes committed against these women but I'm really not.

People tying themselves up in knots trying to defend the indefensible, using any frivilous excuse to blame the women for what that man did to them... As if they had any say in the matter. As if they are in any way responsible for the repeated, relentless actions taken by that man.
    They aren't.

It makes depressing reading of a Friday afternoon, I'll tell you that much.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

SusieBlue wrote: »
    I'd like to say I'm shocked at the posts here from the usual suspects, downplaying the severity & significance of the crimes committed against these women but I'm really not.

People tying themselves up in knots trying to defend the indefensible, using any frivilous excuse to blame the women for what that man did to them... As if they had any say in the matter. As if they are in any way responsible for the repeated, relentless actions taken by that man.
    They aren't.

It makes depressing reading of a Friday afternoon, I'll tell you that much.

I agree completely. It's been widely prevalent over the past few years. Any racist, misogynist, homophobe or peddler of other bile must be defended to the hilt even if it means signing up for countless accounts on the same site over and over again. Personally, I think that that's just sad and pathetic but that's just me.

I just don't engage any more with people who just spout the same snide one-liners over and over again. It really is just a waste of time.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

At last, we have reached the moral high ground.... phew.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭nkl12xtw5goz70

In a case in the UK earlier this year, internet troll Jarod Kirkman was found guilty of targeting seven politicians with death threats and racist messages.

He told Heidi Allen of the Independent Group: "Your days are f**king numbered bitch. Will it be polonium or novichok? Either way you will never know, expect it soon." He told Labour's David Lammy: "Go back to the jungle n****r where you belong" and "f**k off and die in the jungle." He told former Conservative minister Nicky Morgan: "Your days are f**king numbered bitch, death will be swift."

Kirkman received a custodial sentence totaling 42 weeks, or nine and a half months.

Doolin will go to prison for almost four times that long, for sending messages that were by all accounts far milder than the explicit death threats sent by Kirkman. Calling people wannabes and nobodies isn't really in the same league as "Your days are f**king numbered."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

It's pretty clear he needed to also have been in possession of some sort of illegal content involving children in order to have avoided a custodial sentence.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,236 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

In a case in the UK earlier this year, internet troll Jarod Kirkman was found guilty of targeting seven politicians with death threats and racist messages.

He told Heidi Allen of the Independent Group: "Your days are f**king numbered bitch. Will it be polonium or novichok? Either way you will never know, expect it soon." He told Labour's David Lammy: "Go back to the jungle n****r where you belong" and "f**k off and die in the jungle." He told former Conservative minister Nicky Morgan: "Your days are f**king numbered bitch, death will be swift."

Kirkman received a custodial sentence totaling 42 weeks, or nine and a half months.

Doolin will go to prison for almost four times that long, for sending messages that were by all accounts far milder than the explicit death threats sent by Kirkman. Calling people wannabes and nobodies isn't really in the same league as "Your days are f**king numbered."

UK is a different jurisdiction, but anyway his harassment lasted 6 odd weeks.

This Cretins lasted years and continued after he was charged.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Odd that there are some posters who would normall be the first to complain about "bleeding heart liberals" who would be soft on criminals. Yet here they are going on about the poor criminal with not a thought for the women who were harrassed for years.

Maybe he's just their type of criminal. :pac:

In any case, given the posting history and general opinions of said posters, I don't find their defence of this creep odd in the slightest.

More like par the course really.

• Advertisement

Tony EH wrote: »
    Maybe he's just their type of criminal. :pac:

In any case, given the posting history and general opinions of said posters, I don't find their defence of this creep odd in the slightest.

More like par the course really.

It’s not even the defences, it’s the excuses.

You can guarantee if this was a woman she’d be called ‘deranged’, ‘psychotic’ and ‘should be put away for longer for treating those poor men to that’.

You're picking a legal case from a different country, with a different legal system and different sentencing guidelines, and comparing the two... to make what point exactly?

If your point is that a man in the UK only got 42 weeks jail time for sending death threats and that that is unduly lenient, then yes, you'd be right. But that's not what you're saying, of course.

Giving innocent women dog's abuse for years, anonymously, is not okay. It doesn't matter what he said or whether it could have been worse. They knew some weirdo on the internet was obsessed with them and knew where they lived, and he contacted them relentlessly.

This isn't about whether or not the ladies in question should have had thicker skins, as some people here seem to think, because he was "only" calling them some names and not others. It's that if you decide to harass and stalk people for years for your own pathetic amusement then you deserve a decent stretch in prison for being a cowardly little dick.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

Delighted for the sad bastard. Hopefully other cowardly, woman-hating, sad bastards will feel a little less safe in their self-imposed isolation.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,330 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

It's a bit odd, imo.
    His sentence seems harsh, imo.

I mean,a female teacher groomed and had a sexual relationship with a minor who she admitted to having sex with when he was underage. (Yes, the case was here in Ireland).

She got a year in prison.

In comparison, okay, he sent nasty crap to someone-unless he sent it from multiple addresses, why not just block the jerk and move on?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

Odd sentence considering some of the other stuff going on, wouldn't be surprised if it was appealed but I am glad there are consequences for his actions.

To be honest I think this could help him rebuild his life , someone who hasn't left their house but twice in 17 years isn't a healthy individual.

Calhoun wrote: »
    Odd sentence considering some of the other stuff going on, wouldn't be surprised if it was appealed but I am glad there are consequences for his actions.

To be honest I think this could help him rebuild his life , someone who hasn't left their house but twice in 17 years isn't a healthy individual.

Yeah, won't argue that he's not living his best life-but this might actually make things worse.

Someone with severe mental health problems might actually find their condition worsening in prison.

The resources for mental health are disastrous outside of prison-in prison they're bound to be more under-resourced.
    Couple that with when he gets out, a criminal record will only make him more isolated.

It's a bit odd, imo.
    His sentence seems harsh, imo.
    I mean,a female teacher groomed and had a sexual relationship with a minor who she admitted to having sex with when he was underage. (Yes, the case was here in Ireland).
    She got a year in prison.
    In comparison, okay, he sent nasty crap to someone-unless he sent it from multiple addresses, why not just block the jerk and move on?

They did block him. He created new accounts.

Why do people feel the need to compare two completely different crimes in order to make out that this man's sentence was "too harsh"? Is it that it can't be judged to be too harsh based on its own merits and therefore comparisons need to be drawn to completely different crimes?

wiggle16 wrote: »
    They did block him. He created new accounts.

Why do people feel the need to compare two completely different crimes in order to make out that this man's sentence was "too harsh"? Is it that it can't be judged to be too harsh based on its own merits and therefore comparisons need to be drawn to completely different crimes?

No, but this woman did a completely different crime and only got this amount.

But the man here was hard done by and the women brought it all on themselves.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭LoughNeagh2017

I am a member of a forum with many members who adore Elliot Rodger, we are mostly autistic virgins. I urge the PSNI to arrest me, I heard the prisons here are comfortable nowadays anyway, I heard someone say they were allowed to play the PlayStation in them.

One of the members of our forum had a visit from the police in Germany today.

• Advertisement

Faugheen wrote: »
    No, but this woman did a completely different crime and only got this amount.

But the man here was hard done by and the women brought it all on themselves.

Not what I meant at all, not in the slightest. Seriously stretching to make that assumption.

I mean, you could flip that argument and say 'the victim at the centre of the case I mentioned was a teenaged boy, and only brought grooming and statutory rape upon himself'.

Both are equally illogical arguments. I merely stated that I found the sentencing too harsh in light of the crime. There's an obvious mental imbalance in this fellow's behaviour. A harsh enough sentence won't help that.

Advertisement