Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Showing a foreign friend around Dublin..

Options
  • 15-11-2019 11:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭

Hello all.

I have the task of showing my Bulgarian friend around Dublin for 5 days. He is a really smart and educated guy and wants to experience how Irish people live. What we eat, what we do, what we drink, where we shop etc. In however struggling a little.

I'm looking for recommendations on where to bring him for an authentic Irish pub experience. I will be bringing him to temple bar to walk the streets and have maybe a pint or two then go elsewhere as he isn't really into tourist traps. He actually wants to live like a local for his time here.

He also wants to eat Irish foods. I think umm print him to that boxty place in temple bar for a coddle. But any other ideas?
    (I know temple bar is a rip off tourist trap but you'd be mad to not at least recommend tourists walk through the place at night)

So my concerns are which bars to bring him to and where to bring him for authentic Irish foods. I'm alright with attraction's, I've some nice ideas on what to show him.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Stay out of town. God help us not boxty.

Gaffney's in Fairview for a pub? The Yacht for food?
    Kavanagh's the gravediggers do a few twists on traditional food.

Visit the Red Stables in St. Anne's at the weekend?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

spurious wrote: »

What's wrong with boxty? I haven't been but have only heard good things about it.

I genuinely have no experience eating Irish food aside from my mammy's cooking. The only exception was madigans in o connell street and I was actually embarrassed that tourists were eating that ****e thinking it's genuine food.

Gravedigger's would be a good shout after glasnevin cemetery/botanic gardens. Only went for a quick cup of tea once but it was a cool pub to visit. I'll definitely bring him there for a sneaky Guinness ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭The Mulk

Decent Seafood would be a big plus, I'd imagine.

Trip to Howth (or some other seaside place) on the Dart for a few pints and a chowder.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,410 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

spurious wrote: »

The Yacht is a brilliant shout. Quite simply my favorite pub for food in the city. A beautiful, comfortable and bright spacious pub. You could take a run out to Howth afterwards. Food is mmmmmmmmmm. I’ll be off there later this afternoon.

I haven’t eaten in The Gravediggers since they began doing food but as a pub I absolutely love it and going by the pics on Facebook the food certainly ‘looks’ delicious. Kavanagh family are super people into the bargain.

• Advertisement

So the yacht seems to be a recommended place. I've actually never heard of it. I'll look into it.

I plan to bring him on the greystones to bray coastal walk then up the hill to the cross and then a fish and chips... probably not "traditional" but it's certainly something nice and refreshing to have after a freezing hike :D

I think gravedigger's and yacht will 100% be in the itinerary. Actually looking forward to some nice food that's not my mammy's stew or coddle for once lol

• Registered Users Posts: 14,223 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

It depends what part of the city you live in but why you'd bring him out of town to the Yacht is beyond me. It's a nice pub and all but there are plenty of nice pubs about that don't require going to Clontarf for! Same with the Gravediggers, nice old pub, but they are ten a penny in the city centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,317 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

It depends what part of the city you live in but why you'd bring him out of town to the Yacht is beyond me. It's a nice pub and all but there are plenty of nice pubs about that don't require going to Clontarf for! Same with the Gravediggers, nice old pub, but they are ten a penny in the city centre.

Now, I'd usually agree but it's easy enough to get to from the City Centre and sure you can walk along the promenade and even Dollymount if you're that way inclined (and it's not lashing out)

They're not that far from tiwnm especially not gravedigger's. 20 mins on a bus from o connell street and you have the cemetery and botanic gardens right next door.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭paulpd

Fallons Bar off Patrick Street is a nice "authentic" bar.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

L Mulligan's in Stoneybatter is great for food, they really focus on local suppliers. Whatever about Irish style cuisine, you're getting the best of the best Irish ingredients with Mulligan's. You could tie it in to a trip to Jameson, if that was on your itinerary.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭vriesmays

Few Irish live in Dublin city centre anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Being him to Howth one day, Glendalough another, Phoenix Park another. Botanic Gardens and Gravediggers is a good combo.

In the city pubs like The Long Hall, the Stag's Head, Mulligans and Kehoes are good shouts. If he likes movies bring him to the Stella Cinema.

Kilmainham Jail is brilliant - highly recommend it and it's not too expensive.
    vriesmays wrote: »
    Few Irish live in Dublin city centre anymore.

Not true.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

14 Henrietta Street is well worth a look (not a pub or eatery), visited there a few months back, it offers a fascinating insight into over 250 years of the capital's social history, it's not your typical tourist attraction, booking is advisable as numbers are limited.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭KevRossi

Brogans, The Oval, The Long Hall and The Confession Box are worthy of a look as well in the city Centre.

For breakfast take him to Matt the Rashers in Kimmage for the ‘Famouser’.

Not sure what part of the city you live in, might be easier if you let us know.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,803 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I find the Confession Box to be the most overrated pub outside of Temple Bar. Full of tourists and trying to flog you merch

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭BohsCeltic

Try do the tour of Croke Park then head up through Drumcondra for a few pints , much better than the fake Temple Bar. As mentioned tour of Glasnevin followed by Kavanaghs and also Kilmainham Gaol.
    Howth is a good shout too as is Bray if you want to head a bit further out. All on the train line too apart from Glasnevin.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,633 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

I really like Dublin, but if he wants to truly experience how Irish people live (as your OP says), maybe go on a bit of a Road trip.
    Morning train to Dublin, Limerick, Cork for a day (he's here 5 days after all) would add some variety, and help counter the myth that Dublin is Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,678 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

A cliff or hillwalk on Howth Head followed by good Irish Seafood in Howth is an excellent shout from The Mulk (with Guinness and oysters to start).

Then DART to (Pearse) to the national museum to see the bog bodies and read the fascinating history behind them. Lots more to see here too!

Then across the ha'panny bridge to the Cobblestone in Smithfield for a trad session, and two scoops.

Then back across the river to the Long Hall for a Jameson and gingerale with lots of fresh lime.

I've done this with visitors (business and friends/family) and it's a winner. It's not a "session" or pub crawl, there's enough gaps between pubs to keep it nice and it's surprisingly tiring. You'll get a full day out of it and the Museum & the trad is free.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Stoneybatter will do.

L.Mulligans for Irish food, Although I think it's overrated.
    Cobblestone for trad.
    Dice for something a bit different
    Across into Ryan's for nice Guinness and locals.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭dd973

Strumms wrote: »
    The Yacht is a brilliant shout. Quite simply my favorite pub for food in the city. A beautiful, comfortable and bright spacious pub. You could take a run out to Howth afterwards. Food is mmmmmmmmmm. I’ll be off there later this afternoon.

I haven’t eaten in The Gravediggers since they began doing food but as a pub I absolutely love it and going by the pics on Facebook the food certainly ‘looks’ delicious. Kavanagh family are super people into the bargain.

The Yacht? That filthy kip!

You know I'm joking, absolute class establishment, the carvery is sublime.

Advertisement