Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Elective C-Section - Public

Options
  • 15-11-2019 11:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭

Hi there,

I ended up having an emergency c-section on my first pregnancy after failure to dilate. I arrived at the hospital at around lunch time and didn't end up having the c-section until 6.45pm the following evening, so it was a very long drawn out and painful affair that I do not wish to replicate!

I'm now pregnant again and plan to go public as I did last time, but I'm wondering how open the hospital (Holles St) will be to me requesting an elective section this time around based on my previous experience. I have my first appointment in early December and will discuss it with them then, but wondering if anyone has any similar experience? My understanding is that getting approval for an elective section can be a challenge, but would they take into account the fact that I ended up having an emergency one before?

Thanks
    Jaja

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

You need to be firm from the get go. No discussion of options, tell them you won't waste their time and yours with stressful conversations about going for a vaginal delivery. You want a c section, they're going to have to book you in and that's the end of it. Can you bring your partner with you for backup?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,451 ✭✭✭scarepanda

I had an emergency with my first. On my second it was my choice which way I wanted to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭jaja321

lazygal wrote: »
    You need to be firm from the get go. No discussion of options, tell them you won't waste their time and yours with stressful conversations about going for a vaginal delivery. You want a c section, they're going to have to book you in and that's the end of it. Can you bring your partner with you for backup?

Thanks Lazygal. That's good to know. I'm not sure if my husband will be able to come but its a good idea; it would be good to have that back up/additional voice saying - no - this is how its gonna be. Just wasn't sure if they would still try and push the vaginal birth after having a previous section.

scarepanda wrote: »
    I had an emergency with my first. On my second it was my choice which way I wanted to go.

Thanks Scarepanda. That's good to know. :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

jaja321 wrote: »
    Thanks Lazygal. That's good to know. I'm not sure if my husband will be able to come but its a good idea; it would be good to have that back up/additional voice saying - no - this is how its gonna be. Just wasn't sure if they would still try and push the vaginal birth after having a previous section.

They're very proud of the vbac rate but that's not your concern. If you're able to at all I would recommend a friend or maybe your mum come to reinforce your request. Some doctors and nurses can be dismissive of your preference so don't be afraid to ask to speak to someone else.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25 Ssshhh1234

Hiya, I had a similar experience first time round. I was left 3days and only dialated 1cm!!! They were left with no other choice than to emergency c section after a panic. I'm due number 2 in March after a 12 year gap (the first had a major mental effect on me hence the long wait). At my booking appointment I just made it totally clear that under no circumstances was I even considering a VB after the last experience, now the midwife did try the "oh well every pregnancy is different" and "maternity hospitals have come a long way in 12 years" card with me. I politely but firmly told her again that it was not something I would let them even consider for me. Once I met with the consultant and repeated my concerns she assured me it is completely my decision. I'm also public with Holles Street

Ssshhh1234 wrote: »
    Hiya, I had a similar experience first time round. I was left 3days and only dialated 1cm!!! They were left with no other choice than to emergency c section after a panic. I'm due number 2 in March after a 12 year gap (the first had a major mental effect on me hence the long wait). At my booking appointment I just made it totally clear that under no circumstances was I even considering a VB after the last experience, now the midwife did try the "oh well every pregnancy is different" and "maternity hospitals have come a long way in 12 years" card with me. I politely but firmly told her again that it was not something I would let them even consider for me. Once I met with the consultant and repeated my concerns she assured me it is completely my decision. I'm also public with Holles Street

Thanks so much for this - really helpful. Good to know that they will listen to me, I just need to be very firm. My husband is coming to my first appointment with me too and I've asked him to be my back up voice should they try and sway me.

The last experience is not something I wish to repeat!!

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Ssshhh1234

jaja321 wrote: »
    Thanks so much for this - really helpful. Good to know that they will listen to me, I just need to be very firm. My husband is coming to my first appointment with me too and I've asked him to be my back up voice should they try and sway me.

The last experience is not something I wish to repeat!!

I know exactly how you feel. It makes me anxious even thinking about it. But definitely just stand your ground from the get go and you will be fine x

Ssshhh1234 wrote: »
    I know exactly how you feel. It makes me anxious even thinking about it. But definitely just stand your ground from the get go and you will be fine x

Thanks and best of luck with your second arrival x

Advertisement