Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

New NOx VRT levy

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Buttercup10

Oh. Yes, but they actually seem to know very little about NOx tbh.

Or at least the person I spoke to didn't. Though they were nice!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 422 ✭✭CtrlAltDelete

On the subject of the ole NOx charge / just another tax can someone explain this to me ? 3 x 2.0 litre BMW engines all 3 are the same engine... 3 different values.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭mgn

On the subject of the ole NOx charge / just another tax can someone explain this to me ? 3 x 2.0 litre BMW engines all 3 are the same engine... 3 different values.

Don't trust Cartell, their figures are all over the place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Each model will be different. The ones you've listed are different variations (M-Sport etc) and from different years as well, so will have different figures.

Simple things like tyres sizes will affect the figures. Its not just a case of it being the same shape car and the same size engine therefore same NOx figure.

The only true source of truth is the reg document for that car but those cartell figures align with the figures I see in the UK certification site that I posted earlier in this thread.

Oh... So MSport models have a different engine do they ? Really...

• Advertisement

Oh... So MSport models have a different engine do they ? Really...

No, Im not saying that. Be smart if you like... Im only answering your question.

You posted a 2012 and a 2017 car and asked why they'd have different NOx values! :rolleyes:

KCross wrote: »
    No, Im not saying that. Be smart if you like... Im only answering your question.

You posted a 2012 and a 2017 car and asked why they'd have different NOx values! :rolleyes:

You're not answering my question though, you're just posting useless content.

And actually I posted 3 cars.. a March 2012, a Sept 2013 which is the LCI model so I can see that perhaps the engine refinement could perhaps cause a difference but the 3rd car, a Sept 2016 is the exact same engine as the Sept 2013 car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,826 ✭✭✭User1998

And actually I posted 3 cars.. a March 2012, a Sept 2013 which is the LCI model so I can see that perhaps the engine refinement could perhaps cause a difference but the 3rd car, a Sept 2016 is the exact same engine as the Sept 2013 car.

He did answer your question and the information he gave was correct. One car was Efficient dynamics, one was LCI, the other was M Sport. Something as small as having 19 inch alloys over 18 inch alloys can make a huge difference to the nox levels a car produces. So obviously m sport/lci/efficient dynamics and a 4 year difference in the cars being compared will also change the nox levels. Sure even look at the co2 levels they also change. Do they not have different bhp outputs as well? That would make a difference too

I did answer your question and pointed you to the authority that certifies the car in the UK.

Its not just the engine size/model. Its the stuff around it as well like emission controls, bhp/tuning and tyre sizes, etc. The one you picked(or cartell is showing) is not the exact same variation and so the figure is different.

Go check the site I posted earlier and you'll see the differences.

User1998 wrote: »
    He did answer your question and the information he gave was correct. One car was Efficient dynamics, one was LCI, the other was M Sport. Something as small as having 19 inch alloys over 18 inch alloys can make a huge difference to the nox levels a car produces. So obviously m sport/lci/efficient dynamics and a 4 year difference in the cars being compared will also change the nox levels. Sure even look at the co2 levels they also change. Do they not have different bhp outputs as well? That would make a difference too

Utter rubbish ... unless it's accompanied by some sensor tweaks during testing like Volkswagen did ...

• Advertisement

Utter rubbish ... unless it's accompanied by some sensor tweaks during testing like Volkswagen did ...

Thanks.

Different size tyres affect fuel consumption and NOx is measured per km so it can affect it. I wouldnt say it hugely affects it but it can affect it to the point that each variation needs to be tested and given its own value... again, not just one value given based on just the size/model of the engine. Sure even a software change in the ECU can change the emissions figures.... talk to VW, they know! ;)

If you look at the agency that tests it in the UK they list each model and in some cases list the same one based on different tyre size.

I presume they know a thing or two about NOx! ;)

Its a well known fact that wheel size increases co2 output. Having a car with one inch bigger wheels can put your car into a higher co2 band and thus increase your vrt. It also increases fuel economy and as said above nox is measured per km so using more fuel per km is going to effect the nox produced in a kilometre.

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/www.fleetnews.co.uk/amp/news/fleet-industry-news/2018/06/15/wltp-vehicle-protocol-will-influence-wheel-and-tyre-choices-says-kw

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

They could have also been tested different.

There's no point debating it here.. the majority seem happy enough just to keep their heads down and pay whatever tax the clownshop of a government dreams up !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,468 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Not really. It’s a tax you’ll only really know the full extent of once you’re actually importing a car.
    You won’t get the buy in from the anti-everything brigade because they don’t understand it, and it doesn’t directly affect them now.
    Nobody would want to be seen to protest a tax that saves peoples health, no matter how ham-fisted it’s implementation, or how obvious it’s ulterior purpose is.

This tax and the difficulty in accurately calculating it will also create a barrier to the average punter importing from the uk, even if the tax itself isn’t significant in every case.

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Not really. It’s a tax you’ll only really know the full extent of once you’re actually importing a car.
    You won’t get the buy in from the anti-everything brigade because they don’t understand it, and it doesn’t directly affect them now.
    Nobody would want to be seen to protest a tax that saves peoples health, no matter how ham-fisted it’s implementation, or how obvious it’s ulterior purpose is.

This tax and the difficulty in accurately calculating it will also create a barrier to the average punter importing from the uk, even if the tax itself isn’t significant in every case.

Oh look.. another "all of a sudden everything is green " merchant.

It's a tax.. end of.. SIMI moaned and got their way.

Almost EVERYTHING in Ireland is based on economy because we are an oppressed nation. If people are importing diesel cars that are a few years old it's not because they wanted a short holiday to the UK.

If a Frenchman buys a car in Germany does he pay VRT ?

Did you even read the post you’re quoting?

Also- Do you know that Ireland isn’t the only European country to have registration tax on new and used cars, and that there are other European countries with far higher registration taxes?

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Did you even read the post you’re quoting?

Also- Do you know that Ireland isn’t the only European country to have registration tax on new and used cars, and that there are other European countries with far higher registration taxes?

Listen to your waffle. You're clearly of the green mentality. So don't eat anything from a supermarket or go on holidays on a plane .

I'm not even wasting my time replying any further to you.. so fire ahead now with some more dribble...

Good luck.

How am I of the green mentality? I just imported a Euro 5 diesel just before the nox tax came in.

Your idea that people will just pay an extra €2000-4000 on top of VRT because Leo says so is bizzare. I can only conclude that you’re either trolling or incapacitated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭McGiver

Listen to your waffle. You're clearly of the green mentality. So don't eat anything from a supermarket or go on holidays on a plane .
    Better green than diesel head.

And your black and white simplification of world is typical of people who didn't (or couldn't) think stuff through much.

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭thadg

Is there any website that shows the NOX emissions for each car or even by putting in a uk/irl reg number? EG how do i know the nox levels for a 2012 520d m sport without having the V5 in front of me?
    Looks like the euro 5 3.0 d engines by bmw are only approx 500 extra, if my calculation is right, but i may be wrong. Its sad that revenue cant have it built into the vrt price automatically. They had long enough to sort it. It is confusing on purpose by them

thadg wrote: »
    Is there any website that shows the NOX emissions for each car or even by putting in a uk/irl reg number? EG how do i know the nox levels for a 2012 520d m sport without having the V5 in front of me?

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=112258725&postcount=282

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭commited

A good trick is to check if the car is ULEZ compliant in the UK, i.e.Euro 6.
    Just stick the UK reg in here:
    https://tfl.gov.uk/modes/driving/check-your-vehicle-35896
    If it states it is ULEZ compliant, you know that your NOX tax is capped at €600

commited wrote: »
    A good trick is to check if the car is ULEZ compliant in the UK, i.e.Euro 6.
    Just stick the UK reg in here:
    https://tfl.gov.uk/modes/driving/check-your-vehicle-35896
    If it states it is ULEZ compliant, you know that your NOX tax is capped at €600

The €600 cap is for petrol cars only

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 782 ✭✭✭Cunning Alias

thadg wrote: »
    Looks like the euro 5 3.0 d engines by bmw are only approx 500 extra, if my calculation is right, but i may be wrong. Its sad that revenue cant have it built into the vrt price automatically. They had long enough to sort it. It is confusing on purpose by them

VRTd a car this morning. I used http://www.emissionsfinder.com/ and it matched up with the V5 and I didn't get any nasty surprises.

People there were chatting about the horror stories they have had come in over the past month. If I heard right there was someone bringing in a Volvo with 600 VRT due on it and then got hit with over 4k in Nox.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭crystalbrite

VRTd a car this morning. I used http://www.emissionsfinder.com/ and it matched up with the V5 and I didn't get any nasty surprises.

People there were chatting about the horror stories they have had come in over the past month. If I heard right there was someone bringing in a Volvo with 600 VRT due on it and then got hit with over 4k in Nox.

Can't find an AUDI A4 1.4 TFSI on that website :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Can't find an AUDI A4 1.4 TFSI on that website :confused:

Max will be €600 for petrol.

Diesel is the one you really need to be careful with.

Mainly hits cars older then 2015 in most cases.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,077 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Generally a good guide would be to see what the emissions based tax is.
    If you're going to be paying higher than 200 odd tax then the emissions are "high" (as per this tax anyway) and you'll be paying a lot

It's actually not that bad, if you're looking at bringing in large engined cars, it makes the petrol ones 4k cheaper now!

• Advertisement

It’s quite common to have small co2 and massive nox.

Advertisement