Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

New NOx VRT levy

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,310 ✭✭✭✭elperello

cnocbui wrote: »
    Yes, and reduce the motor tax on petrol cars to well below diesels. Use carrots; far too much using the stick has been going on.

While I wouldn't mind seeing that happen I don't think Dept. of Finance would wear it.
    They are all about protecting revenue.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 daraghoc

As a pick up(Ford ranger,Nissan Navara etc) is classed as an N1 vehicle, am I correct in thinking that the new NOx charge does not apply? .... just the VRT to pay on import as before!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭KCross

daraghoc wrote: »
    As a pick up(Ford ranger,Nissan Navara etc) is classed as an N1 vehicle, am I correct in thinking that the new NOx charge does not apply? .... just the VRT to pay on import as before!

It’s an interesting one

The revenue site says category A gets the tax but also says...

VRT Category A is for passenger vehicles including cars and minibuses. These minbuses cannot carry more the eight people and a driver. These vehicles are generally European category M1. Also included in this category are certain category N1 vehicles which have four or more seats.

I think you’d need to clarify with revenue before you import.

How many seats does the one you’re looking at have?

It would be a double cab I'd be looking at ... so 5 seats I guess .... I'm pretty sure it would be subject to the NOx charge ... prob just not clear from the website.

It would be a double cab I'd be looking at ... so 5 seats I guess .... I'm pretty sure it would be subject to the NOx charge ... prob just not clear from the website.

The revenue website also has a speadsheet of example vehicles with associated NOx levy shown. The 2.5L Navara is listed as 360mg/km so a €4850 NOx levy(i.e. the max possible)!

I presume that would make it uneconomical to import. Maybe newer models are better but I'd imagine the levy would still be quite high.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,468 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

360 is a ridiculously high amount of nox.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,051 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Out of interest what's going to happen to all the UK reg stuff sitting in dealers unregistered here now, some of it will cost thousands per car to clear and will result in being more expensive than car already registered here? Will they be exporting them back to UK?

I'd be looking at fairly new models .... 2018 or 2019. Ford Ranger Eco blu 2.0L or Mitsubishi L200 or Nissan Navara or Toyota Hilux. Very hard to find any info on specific NOx levels other than all the newer models are Euro 6 compliant.

I'd be looking at fairly new models .... 2018 or 2019. Ford Ranger Eco blu 2.0L or Mitsubishi L200 or Nissan Navara or Toyota Hilux. Very hard to find any info on specific NOx levels other than all the newer models are Euro 6 compliant.

Doesn’t it have to be sub 80mg to be Euro 6? Are there different limits for commercial vehicles?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,377 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Out of interest what's going to happen to all the UK reg stuff sitting in dealers unregistered here now, some of it will cost thousands per car to clear and will result in being more expensive than car already registered here? Will they be exporting them back to UK?

THe sensible dealers would have prereg'd them in December.

• Advertisement

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Doesn’t it have to be sub 80mg to be Euro 6? Are there different limits for commercial vehicles?

I think they can go upto 125mg/km so a max levy in that case of about €1700

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Marcusm wrote: »
    THe sensible dealers would have prereg'd them in December.

To be fair, some dealers had an awful lot of stock. Hard to just stump up all that cash to clear everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭1hnr79jr65

With this Nox charge, does it mean it is not worth importing anymore ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,077 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

It makes no difference to newer diesels and large engined petrol.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Dr Dave

For Euro5 diesels and older, I would say yes.
    Newer stuff (Euro6), probably not.

My 2011 diesel I imported 2 years ago, would be not worth bringing in now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

If you plan on importing a diesel you want to be very sure of the Nox emissions it omits as it could cost just shy of €5k extra on top of the vrt....

The exact Nox emissions should be on the v5 but if not you would need the chassis to check or registration.

Petrol has a max Nox charge of €600 so they are classed as cleaner of course.

It definitely isn't worth it unless it's most likely at minimum 2015 upwards....

Keep in mind some manufacturers had some Euro 6 cars earlier.

Some BMWs were Euro6 in 2012 for example

Buyacar.co.uk has a list of early Euro6 diesels.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

elperello wrote: »
    Maybe a few less cars built, as you know vehicle manufacture is very energy intensive. Plus the people would have more disposable income.

You don't have to be a Green to understand that the less time and money you spend on transport the better.

There's no need to tell me to look at a map I'm well aware of our size in the greater scheme of things.

The Green Party supports walking and cycling to school.

Sorry but you seem to have missed the point of the Motors forum.

So, while cars are as necessary as oxygen once you leave the Pale, there is a huge cohort of us - and millions of jobs worldwide btw - who drive because we like doing so. Ideally not crawling on the M50 I grant you, but you get the idea....

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 422 ✭✭CtrlAltDelete

If you plan on importing a diesel you want to be very sure of the Nox emissions it omits as it could cost just shy of €5k extra on top of the vrt....

The exact Nox emissions should be on the v5 but if not you would need the chassis to check or registration.

Petrol has a max Nox charge of €600 so they are classed as cleaner of course.

It definitely isn't worth it unless it's most likely at minimum 2015 upwards....

Quoting a year is a very misleading statement to anyone trying to educate themselves on the parameters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,310 ✭✭✭✭elperello

galwaytt wrote: »
    Sorry but you seem to have missed the point of the Motors forum.

So, while cars are as necessary as oxygen once you leave the Pale, there is a huge cohort of us - and millions of jobs worldwide btw - who drive because we like doing so. Ideally not crawling on the M50 I grant you, but you get the idea....

Bit of a misunderstanding there.

I haven't missed the point of the Motors Forum and I post here all the time.

That post was part of a discussion about the Green Party (which I'm not a member of) proposals for car sharing.

We were talking about people who are using cars for commuting, crawling on the M50 and all the other dull stuff.

Of course I know some motorists drive for the love of it. I'm one of them :)

• Advertisement

Quoting a year is a very misleading statement to anyone trying to educate themselves on the parameters.

I said most likely... Didn't say 100%

Euro 6 is a must

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭thadg

I said most likely... Didn't say 100%

Euro 6 is a must

2013 535d m sport with euro 6 engine is 475 euro extra NOX charge. Probably still worth it

• Registered Users Posts: 21 miss jenny2010

Does anyone know the nox charge on a Ford focus new model 2018 1.5 diesel titatiaum

Does anyone know the nox charge on a Ford focus new model 2018 1.5 diesel titatiaum

It won't be high as it's the latest euro 6.
    Get the Nox value on it if you can ask the seller as it will be on the v5.
    Then calculate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭mgn

Nox emissions 62, so that will be €330.

That is for the 120ps engine, there is a lower 95ps engine in some Zetec models and that has Nox emissions of 48

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Maxran

NEW poster here having been looking on for a while , i brought uk reg ford ranger doublecab pickup to nct centre today was NOT charged any nox tax because it is a category B vehicle whereas a crewcab transit or sprinter is liable for nox tax according to the man in the nct centre dealing with me . my pickup is a euro 5 engine with 236 mg/km

So is your classification M1 or N1?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Maxran

I think its n1 according to vrt manual page 57 , pages 58 and 59 show the difference between a crewcab van and a crew cab pickup

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭bri007

I’m looking at buying a 2015 diesel bmw 4 series. Vrt is costing me €3600 and I need to pay deposit on it before close of today. It’s based in London and they will hold it if the Coronavirus travel restrictions get worse.

Just wondering about the NOx charge... how do I find out how much that is? Sorry if it’s already been said but I couldn’t find it further back in comments

• Advertisement

bri007 wrote: »
    I’m looking at buying a 2015 diesel bmw 4 series. Vrt is costing me €3600 and I need to pay deposit on it before close of today. It’s based in London and they will hold it if the Coronavirus travel restrictions get worse.

Just wondering about the NOx charge... how do I find out how much that is? Sorry if it’s already been said but I couldn’t find it further back in comments

Ask them for it.

Make sure it matches car.

It may well be not worth your while bringing it in.

Advertisement