Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

New NOx VRT levy

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Should be quite low

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭The Guvnor

Excuse the click bait title!:D

I recently as in this afternoon discovered the joys of NOX.

I was horrified as initially I left it blank and it defaulted to the max of €4850 on both an x1 and x5.

After I realised the horrific sh1te I was dealing with I went about finding the exact NOX for the x5.

It's a mission. I know it's on a V5 etc but my question is this - is there an easier way to find based on the reg of the car?

I've never seen it listed on the likes of autotrader etc.

It can as we know be hard enough to find the correct model x5 etc on the vrt page - this one has 158 co2 and was a task getting that to come up.

NOX was estimated at 41g per km.

Lastly I'd say why does the revenue not just automate the nox and lump it in with the vrt figure - based on the car we select they would/could know the nox etc.

It seems like a great big waste of time to me tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,602 ✭✭✭User1998

If it has ULEZ on Autotrader it means it has a Euro 6 engine so a maximum of €600 Nox. You can select “Only show ULEZ compliant cars” as a search filter

BCA shows the nox amounts so you could look for similar cars there as well

There is also a Revenue spreadsheet of all make and models Nox amounts and some websites in the uk that give Nox details, but really you’d need to call the dealer to confirm the Nox just to be sure, definitely a pain buying an old diesel now

A lot of BMW X Cars were Euro 6 way earlier than they needed to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,602 ✭✭✭User1998

Just checked there, there are Euro 6 X1’s and X5’s from as early as 2013 so less then €600 nox

Just use the ULEZ filter when searching for cars and budget €600 for Nox, most likely it will be a good bit lower than that anyway

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Alanvtec

The other half wants a newer car, she is looking at Suv's (not my choiceðŸ˜) KIA Sportage, hyundai Tucson, but has to be leather and really all the extras.
    So the question I have is there really a saving now buying second hand in the uk with the added tax? Should I keep my searching to Ireland because obviously there is far better choice of spec in the UK.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭pablo128

The car she is after, (Kia/Hyundai) has a high nox figure. Look at something else or else buy in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Depends so much on year and engine.....

If petrol max charge is €600....

If diesel max is €4850.....

Pick cars that have low Nox and you would have a better selection in UK.....

pablo128 wrote: »
    The car she is after, (Kia/Hyundai) has a high nox figure. Look at something else or else buy in Ireland.

If the car is Euro 6 then it won’t have a high nox figure. All Tucsons are Euro6 for example.

Far as I know nox on a 2016 Tucson 1.7 Blue Drive is €180.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭MicK10rt

Hi all, due to move back to ireland from uk in August, wondering if there is an exemption on Nox tax, I already know about the vrt exemption, just wondering about nox. Was hoping to bring car with me. 2015 passat 2.0 don't want to get stung

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

MicK10rt wrote: »
    Hi all, due to move back to ireland from uk in August, wondering if there is an exemption on Nox tax, I already know about the vrt exemption, just wondering about nox. Was hoping to bring car with me. 2015 passat 2.0 don't want to get stung

What’s the NOX figure on your V5? Should be low enough on that Gen Passat

L-M wrote: »

I just went looking for my V5 and couldn't find it, would anyone know if there is an exemption like the vrt?

I just went looking for my V5 and couldn't find it, would anyone know if there is an exemption like the vrt?

Im going to say no, but I don’t know for sure.

The reason so is that if someone buys a new car and has an exemption for VAT and VRT for a disability etc, they don’t get an exemption from the NOX tax.

In any case it’s going to be worth bringing the car home.

After much frustration and pulling half the house apart I've found it.. 067 is the figure quoted, my mk7 golf from 2013 with a 1.6, same engine platform was. 118. Big difference for basically same engine.

So that’s 405 euro of a charge. If applicable

• Registered Users Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭michellie

TOR Exemption covers VRT and NOX

michellie wrote: »
    TOR Exemption covers VRT and NOX

Cheers thank god for that!

Cheers thank god for that!

No problem, your exemption has to be applied for directly to your local revenue office before your VRT appointment, they will post you a letter that you bring to your VRT appointment.

Im going to say no, but I don’t know for sure.

The reason so is that if someone buys a new car and has an exemption for VAT and VRT for a disability etc, they don’t get an exemption from the NOX tax.

In any case it’s going to be worth bringing the car home.

Exemptions cover VAT, VRT(to a certain limit) & NOx

No problem, your exemption has to be applied for directly to your local revenue office before your VRT appointment, they will post you a letter that you bring to your VRT appointment.

Thank you, just one final question, what is the vrt allowance or how is it calculated. For years I was thinking there was no limit.

They don’t cover NOX on a new car bought under the Disabled driver/passenger scheme

Edit. Funnily enough I just googled it and it now seems to be included. Off to chase some customers, lol.

• Advertisement

Thank you, just one final question, what is the vrt allowance or how is it calculated. For years I was thinking there was no limit.

The maximum exemption limit for disabled drivers/passenger exemptions run from €10,000 to €22,000. As far as I know theres no limit for TOR exemptions.

The maximum exemption limit for disabled drivers/passenger exemptions run from €10,000 to €22,000. As far as I know theres no limit for TOR exemptions.

I was doing a bit of research today and was wondering if this nox tax applies to commercial vehicles. I understand that if I bring my van back aswel I will have to pay the standard 200 euro vrt charge, but wondering if these too are subject to the Nox charge. Was going to hold onto it to help move stuff home. But if its not viable to do so I will sell here.

Nox charge doesn’t apply to non-crewcab commercials.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Nox charge doesn’t apply to non-crewcab commercials.

pr*cks... whats the upper cap on a diesel ?

€4850 or something.

Im going to assume any commercial has huge NOX because they don’t fall under the same stringent standards that passengers cars do.

Included in that being the likes of 9 seater Shuttles, etc

Only CAT A crew cabs are subject to NOX. They're the only commercial subject to it.

Only CAT A crew cabs are subject to NOX. They're the only commercial subject to it.

By that you mean less than 3.5t GVW?

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭MF290

I was trying to work out how much the nox adds to the vrt for a 2013 1.4hdi peugeot 208, it's adding up to roughly €2500 based on 159mg/km NOX and €1000 CO2. That can hardly be correct?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82,581 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

MF290 wrote: »
    I was trying to work out how much the nox adds to the vrt for a 2013 1.4hdi peugeot 208, it's adding up to roughly €2500 based on 159mg/km NOX and €1000 CO2. That can hardly be correct?

I'm afraid it is, they are trying to discourage importation of high NOX vehicles. Any diesel car pre 2015 will be pricey.

Advertisement