Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

New NOx VRT levy

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4 bmccabe

Found noc for b m w 640d. 2012 it's 157 nox = 2450Euro + VAT 2600 Euro that's over 5000Euro mad or what. Irish government .

• Registered Users Posts: 8,241 ✭✭✭ongarite

It's not mad.
    It's to stop people importing non-Euro 6 diesel cars.

If you really want a 640d look for 2014 models onwards which are Euro6 low NOx.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,389 ✭✭✭User1998

2014 640d is Euro 6

• Registered Users Posts: 4 bmccabe

User1998 wrote: »
    2014 640d is Euro 6

Hi thanks for your answer. Do you no what 2014 nox is so I can check for duties BMW 640d cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sexual Chocolate

L-M wrote: »
    Just bear in mind anything brought in from Jan will also be taxed on the new system.

Even pre 2008s ?

• Advertisement

No I just know its Euro 6. I’m going to say in and around 0.060 (€300). Being Euro 6 means the highest it can be is €600 but that’s highly unlikely

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭Mintoe

User1998 wrote: »
    No I just know its Euro 6. I’m going to say in and around 0.060 (€300). Being Euro 6 means the highest it can be is €600 but that’s highly unlikely

Max €600 is for petrol cars, max for diesel is €4850

• Registered Users Posts: 73,449 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Mintoe wrote: »
    Max €600 is for petrol cars, max for diesel is €4850

For a Euro6 diesel, the most it can be is €600.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Even pre 2008s ?

Everything. Any car imported from Jan first is on the new system. And it’s not the CO2 on the V5, it’s a calculated estimate of a WLTP figure (Attached)

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 2,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭macplaxton

Is that going up to €800 from January for Euro 6 diesel, given the re-scaling of charges in the budget?

• Advertisement

If I've worked that formula out right a car with 215g/km will in fact be 232.9g/km making it €2400 a year to tax and carry a vrt rate of 37%.

Yeah pretty much.

It’s unfortunate but a lot of people are going to get caught.

Right assuming I've got this all understood properly I'm going to do a comparison of importing now and importing after New years assuming worst case scenario with Brexit.

Car is a 07 FN2 Civic 2.0 with 80k miles bought for €4000. I'll use an 07 because it's cheaper to tax than a 08 on Co2 and the Civic itself is quite a high emitting Co2 car. And I also know of someone looking to buy one. Or was :pac:

I'm not going to include cost of flight & boat.

Today:

OMSP - €2000 according to revenue

Vrt - €760 Inc Nox
    3 months motor tax - €200

Total - €4960

2021:

OMSP still €2000 (for argument sake)

Vrt - €2060 including Nox, VAT and import duty at 10%.
    3 months motor tax - €678

Total - €6738

Difference - €1778

Im sure it’s going to be taxed for more than 3 months lol

Im sure it’s going to be taxed for more than 3 months lol

Spending that it want to be :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

Why don't they just ban the imports of cars at this stage.
    Madness

bear1 wrote: »
    Why don't they just ban the imports of cars at this stage.
    Madness

I think they invariably have.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Pearsett100

Does anyone know what would the NOx be on an 2005 ep2 1.6 vtec civic and a 2005 1.5 suzuki ignis sport? . Thinking of importing either and would need to know as it would probably be next year.

The Max it can be on a petrol is €600. The problem is the CO2

• Registered Users Posts: 7,862 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

Just doing a bit of windows shopping on Carzone, lads.
    https://m.carzone.ie/used-cars/BMW/5-Series-172-530e-M-Sport--34k-EXTRAS-HUGE-SPEC-NAPPA-LEATH/202009113616587

Can someone tell me if its true what it says in that ad:
    "10-20% PRICE INCREASES ON UK IMPORTS FROM JANUARY 1ST 2021 SO DONT WAIT FOR BREXIT"

Its a car with low CO2 and NOx so I would have thought that after Jan 1st, the depreciation would more than cover the increase in VRT, no?

Or would the import duty ruin any savings? Like the car is in Dublin. They're not gonna send it back so you'd think they'd be desperate to offload it after Jan 1st. Or am I way off? There's a lot of extras on that car so I dont know if that will make a difference to the VRT.

Cheers

• Advertisement

I assume there talking about VAT and customs duties, which is 23% and 10%

He already has the 30 percent added on by the looks of it,’lol.

Ye it looks like it. I'd say it's priced for all the extras. Massage seats and 2 choices of perfume to waft into the cabin, as well as all the tech bells and whistles.

Does the VRT go up for all those extras? The ad says it was €93k new. Although with the CO2, it'll be in the low category so around €5600 for CO2, and probably feck all for NOx.

Is there any site that would tell u the VRT this year vs after Jan 1st so you can compare and decide which is the better option?

The_B_Man wrote: »
    Ye it looks like it. I'd say it's priced for all the extras. Massage seats and 2 choices of perfume to waft into the cabin, as well as all the tech bells and whistles.

Does the VRT go up for all those extras? The ad says it was €93k new. Although with the CO2, it'll be in the low category so around €5600 for CO2, and probably feck all for NOx.

Is there any site that would tell u the VRT this year vs after Jan 1st so you can compare and decide which is the better option?

Do you know what the C02 of that car is?

Do you know what the C02 of that car is?

I Googled 2017 520e and it said 46g/km of CO2.

From my calculations form the above PDF:
    x(0.9227)+34.554

Where X = 46:

46(0.9227)+34.554
    = 76.9982

Which is a change from 7% to 9%.

Assuming it will still qualify for the grant it should be cheaper in Jan.

Assuming it will still qualify for the grant it should be cheaper in Jan.

This grant?
    https://www.revenue.ie/en/importing-vehicles-duty-free-allowances/guide-to-vrt/calculating-vrt/electric-and-hybrid-vehicles.aspx

Ends 31st December 2020. Up to €1750 before then.

How long does vrt registration take anyway? Like if I apply Dec 31st does that qualify? Or does the registration have to be compete by then? Coz if it takes 2 weeks, then the real cutoff is next week or so.

Theres no vrt appointments left for this year, apart from the odd cancellation

• Advertisement

Ah ok, so the deadline has basically passed. Thats a pity.

Advertisement