Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

New NOx VRT levy

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

I’m sure that dealer already has that car “Pre inspected” so should be able to get it cleared on the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭millington

Right assuming I've got this all understood properly I'm going to do a comparison of importing now and importing after New years assuming worst case scenario with Brexit.

Car is a 07 FN2 Civic 2.0 with 80k miles bought for €4000. I'll use an 07 because it's cheaper to tax than a 08 on Co2 and the Civic itself is quite a high emitting Co2 car. And I also know of someone looking to buy one. Or was :pac:

I'm not going to include cost of flight & boat.

Today:

OMSP - €2000 according to revenue

Vrt - €760 Inc Nox
    3 months motor tax - €200

Total - €4960

2021:

OMSP still €2000 (for argument sake)

Vrt - €2060 including Nox, VAT and import duty at 10%.
    3 months motor tax - €678

Total - €6738

Difference - €1778
    Your second calculations seem very wrong

Duty 10% of €4000 = €400
    VAT 23% of €4400 = €1012
    VRT at new rate I can't tell because I don't know the CO2
    The motor tax will remain unchanged

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭wpd

with the northern ireland trade protocol will imports from Northern ireland be exempt from the duty and VAT then if the worst case no deal goes through

millington wrote: »
    Your second calculations seem very wrong

Duty 10% of €4000 = €400
    VAT 23% of €4400 = €1012
    VRT at new rate I can't tell because I don't know the CO2
    The motor tax will remain unchanged

VAT is 21 now

• Registered Users Posts: 37 KerrySurfer

Quick question regarding the new 2021 motor tax rates.

If a used car is imported in 2021 it is subject to the recalculated WLTP rate for VRT. Does anyone know for definite what tax rate this car will be taxed at in terms of motor tax?

e.g. A car has a NEDC of 178 so the adjusted WLTP would be 199. This would be a VRT rate of 30% under the current system and would rise to 37% under the new system for 2021. That's all clear.

The thing I'm unsure of is what motor tax rate the car would fall under once imported next year? If the car was to be taxed at it's original registration date (in another country) it would be taxed at €600pa, if it were to be taxed at the adjusted WLTP rate based on it's import into Ireland date it would be €790pa, that's a big difference.

If anyone could point me to documentation that clarifies this I'd appreciate it. Common sense would dictate that it would fall under the NEDC rate which would fall into line with all other cars registered between 2008 and 2020 but any clarification would be great!

Cheers! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭millington

VAT is 21 now

True but only for a shortwhile longer

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Skippy along

wpd wrote: »
    with the northern ireland trade protocol will imports from Northern ireland be exempt from the duty and VAT then if the worst case no deal goes through

Yes If I'm reading it right but go easy on me I'm still wearing my bear goggles from last night so I stand to be corrected.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 hada87

Hi all

I imported a car from Northern Ireland in December but don’t have the VRT until middle of Jan.

I’m a bit confused by the new VRT rates - and just wondering if anyone could give some guidance? I had calculated it at around €2880 total additional for a 2017 Fiat 500X 1.6 petrol, but can’t seem to work out what the new costing will be? Many thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭gally74

hada87 wrote: »
    Hi all

I imported a car from Northern Ireland in December but don’t have the VRT until middle of Jan.

I’m a bit confused by the new VRT rates - and just wondering if anyone could give some guidance? I had calculated it at around €2880 total additional for a 2017 Fiat 500X 1.6 petrol, but can’t seem to work out what the new costing will be? Many thanks.

worth watching the video from earlier, does it have a NI reg or UK, and youll need proff that it is a genuine NI car...

• Advertisement

Hi all

Put the car details in the link below it looks like they have the new rates on the system up now.

https://www.ros.ie/evrt-enquiry/vrtenquiry.html?execution=e2s1

On the V5 document in the bottom left somewhere it should say the CO2 for the car?

Hi all

Did a quick search 1.6 pop version is 3.800 vrt

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭Burty330

The VRT i calculated costs more than the car I want to buy.

€6.400 VRT for a £4.700 Volvo 2013 V40.. I VRT'd a UK car 10 years ago for a reasonable price but this is ridiculous. I don't believe other EU countries are taxed this heavily when buying a car from the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,602 ✭✭✭User1998

VRT on a 65 plate would be half that

• Registered Users Posts: 3,034 ✭✭✭Casati

Burty330 wrote: »

€6.400 VRT for a £4.700 Volvo 2013 V40.. I VRT'd a UK car 10 years ago for a reasonable price but this is ridiculous. I don't believe other EU countries are taxed this heavily when buying a car from the UK.

Yeah importing cars like that isn’t feasible - you will also have VAT at 21% on top unless it’s a Northern Ireland car

• Registered Users Posts: 51,241 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

They don't want you importing a car of that age with high co2/Nox figures as it would result in Ireland becoming a UK dumping ground for such cars, so they are making it prohibitively expensive to do so now.

gally74 wrote: »
    worth watching the video from earlier, does it have a NI reg or UK, and youll need proff that it is a genuine NI car...

Sorry, didn’t see the video? It was registered to a NI address and before that it was owned by the NI garage I bought it from (as a demo car). It’s all in the V5C I received.

Not sure what else I would need to prove same?

L-M wrote: »
    On the V5 document in the bottom left somewhere it should say the CO2 for the car?

Thank you - got it. Works out at €3,700 - quite a jump from €2800 or so what had previously been pre-2021...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭gally74

Thank you - got it. Works out at €3,700 - quite a jump from €2800 or so what had previously been pre-2021...

youd prob;aby buy cheaper down south

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭Burty330

bazz26 wrote: »
    They don't want you importing a car of that age with high co2/Nox figures as it would result in Ireland becoming a UK dumping ground for such cars, so they are making it prohibitively expensive to do so now.

Thats interesting. I thought the Volvo's and modern'ish diesels were light on emissions but had not heard about co2/nox figures before.

Whats the best way to get VRT down. To buy relatively new cars with low nox?

Do you own the car? Did you try get a booking before the end of the year?

If you were bored you could pay the VRT and then fight it afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,241 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Thats interesting. I thought the Volvo's and modern'ish diesels were light on emissions but had not heard about co2/nox figures before.

Whats the best way to get VRT down. To buy relatively new cars with low nox?

Co2 is how the emissions are measured. Anything with a Euro6 compliant engine tends to have lower co2/Nox and petrol engines had a max Nox charge of €600. But really the time to import from the UK was last year. They changed the VRT bands and figures in last October's budget and they came into effect today. VRT has gone up on most cars now.

No - still worked out at about €3,000 cheaper same year and very low mileage (28k miles).

L-M wrote: »
    Do you own the car? Did you try get a booking before the end of the year?

If you were bored you could pay the VRT and then fight it afterwards.

I do - bought it and had it delivered on 15 December. Tried to get a pre-Jan booking but absolutely no luck anywhere.

It’s certainly a sting to have to pay nearly €1,000 more in VRT. Not sure what else I can do to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 superchippy

I do - bought it and had it delivered on 15 December. Tried to get a pre-Jan booking but absolutely no luck anywhere.

It’s certainly a sting to have to pay nearly €1,000 more in VRT. Not sure what else I can do to be honest.

I'm the same couldn't get a booking before the end of the year. I'm hoping the fact that I had the car imported before the 31st that they will let me vrt it on the old rate but probably have to pay the new rate and then appeal it. Even at that not sure how successful the appeal will be.

You can pay it and then you can fight the case afterwards. Worth a shot.

With the new system up has anyone imported a car if so how did you get on?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭The Guvnor

Some cars for sure are now cheaper south than to import but not by much and I find these are more your bigger diesels like A8/7 series.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38 Dr Dave

I brought in a car just before Christmas and the VRT calculator gave a price of over €550 more based on changes to VRT and NOx after Christmas.
    That doesn't include Import tax and Vat if they are payable, which is a great topic of debate at the moment.
    It will certainly be interesting to see how things go now, just glad I'm not that sucker :)

Advertisement