Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

New NOx VRT levy

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Does the VRT Calculator on revenue.ie take it into account? I just did an example calculation there and it doesn't mention anything about NOx, just CO2.
    The example I did had an OMSP of €20154 and CO2 falling into 18% bracket.
    Vehicle Registration Tax: €3627 (which is 18% of €20154). Is there an NOx charge on top of that or is it included in the €3627?

It hasn’t been updated yet, but www.cartell.ie will give you a € figure for nox from the reg number.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 497 ✭✭znv6i3h7kqf9ys

Does the VRT Calculator on revenue.ie take it into account? I just did an example calculation there and it doesn't mention anything about NOx, just CO2.
    The example I did had an OMSP of €20154 and CO2 falling into 18% bracket.
    Vehicle Registration Tax: €3627 (which is 18% of €20154). Is there an NOx charge on top of that or is it included in the €3627?
    Yes there is my friend. Be careful asking questions here though, some trolls with nothing better to do will chew your head off for not knowing that already.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

The Revenue VRT page does have more info now with a spreadsheet giving lots of models costs https://revenue.ie/en/importing-vehicles-duty-free-allowances/guide-to-vrt/calculating-vrt/calculating-the-nox-charge.aspx

Also the Cartell.ie free query shows it now but I actually think a lot of people will end up the like OP's friend and just use the VRT Calculator along with sterling conversion and think that is the figure.

If Cartell can implement it you would wonder why Revenue can't do it quicker.

Good news is less imports of dirty diesels from now on and another interesting point is I wonder how it will impact re-sale values of older diesels here?

CoBo55 wrote: »
    Well, the first link tells that importing a golf will be a lot more expensive and warns to check first before committing, make sure you have the nox figure that will be accepted by the inspector etc. Nah, he only has himself to blame.
    The first link? Oh yeah I see what you mean, the link posted here. Good man. I think he expected a 1 stop shop for all expected charges when he went through the vrt website to calculate what to pay. What was he thinking? Imagine a site that gave you the full figure you are expected to pay. Now there is an idea.

That sounds more a Shelbyville idea.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭ChippingSodbury

colm_mcm wrote: »
    It hasn’t been updated yet, but www.cartell.ie will give you a € figure for nox from the reg number.

You'd expect that the Calculator would have been updated at this stage. Or at least a statement outlining that there is also an NOx charge on top (instead of giving a Total, which is only a sub-total!)

They state that it doesn’t include the nox on the landing page for the calculator, however it’s just thrown into a list of things the calculator does, and isn’t nearly prominent enough.

You'd expect that the Calculator would have been updated at this stage. Or at least a statement outlining that there is also an NOx charge on top (instead of giving a Total, which is only a sub-total!)
    Yip. The point I was trying to make. Sure if you can save 1...........

• Registered Users Posts: 5,119 ✭✭✭mikeecho

Les Paul wrote: »
    Lol. The only effort is reading something in the lifestyle section. Hardly prominent.

It was also mentioned on the 5.30 news, the 6.01 news, 9pm news.
    Every budget supplement that came with various papers .

It was mentioned in multiple news websites, in various sections, news, financial, motors, lifestyle etc.

But unless it comes through the door with a golden invite, they have failed.

A little research was all that was needed.

But let's not get caught up in reality, let's find a Scape goat.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭michellie

You'd be surprised the amount of people who aren't aware of it.

I agree revenue should have made more awareness of it and there should be a calculator by now.

I know revenue's IT system is massively complicated and it takes ages to make changes. It took forever to get them to change the current Vrt calculator - you used to be able to amend the Co2 but it just meant people throwing in information that was completely incorrect then rocking up for an appointment being shocked at the vrt amount.

But at the moment this is making life very difficult for people (and me listening to them :) )

Pay and appeal is all you can do- for anyone who imported last month.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,666 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

If you're going to the complication of importing a car, then surely you have the brain cells to double check the tax situation first. Your "friend" sounds like he was going for a bargain, didn't get one, and now blaming the system rather than himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭Whocare

Warning Check nox level before importing.

A friend of mine brought over a Jag xf from the uk in December.
    He made the appointment to pay the vrt. They gave him a date
    in Jan. When he went there they wanted an extra €3100 from him
    for the new nox charge introduced from 1st Jan 2020. Very little
    in the press on this but it more or less wipes out any saving you
    would expect by purchasing in the UK. I've included the table pricing
    below. (this is on top of the vrt)

Commenting on Budget 2020, SIMI Director General Brian Cooke

"SIMI is relieved that the Minister has not increased VRT for new cars in Budget 2020.
    The replacement of the 1% diesel surcharge introduced last year on new cars with a nitrogen oxide
    (NOx) emissions-based charge to all passenger cars registering for the first time in the State from
    1 January 2020 is a welcome announcement."

(I'm sure it is to some but not your average punter. Check the charges in attachment below)

If he got a good deal it might be worth selling/ trading it in up north And then buy something different ?

mikeecho wrote: »
    It was also mentioned on the 5.30 news, the 6.01 news, 9pm news.
    Every budget supplement that came with various papers .

It was mentioned in multiple news websites, in various sections, news, financial, motors, lifestyle etc.

But unless it comes through the door with a golden invite, they have failed.

A little research was all that was needed.

But let's not get caught up in reality, let's find a Scape goat.
    Hahahaha golden invite, caught up in reality. Laughing here. No doubt about what you are saying but it's hardly front page news. Anyway an article like that wouldn't be of much interest to anybody who is not in the market for a car at the time an article was published. I still believe it should be more clear on the VRT website. Do you?

astrofool wrote: »
    If you're going to the complication of importing a car, then surely you have the brain cells to double check the tax situation first. Your "friend" sounds like he was going for a bargain, didn't get one, and now blaming the system rather than himself.
    Sound lad nice comment. I especially like your use of inverted commas, that's a nice touch.

Whocare wrote: »
    If he got a good deal it might be worth selling/ trading it in up north And then buy something different ?
    I think he will pay it and go through the refund process with revenue. He should have a case if he presented in December

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭piobhan

User1998 wrote: »
    Put in the car details here and add €270.

https://www.ros.ie/evrt-enquiry/vrtenquiry.html?execution=e1s2

You might be able to get the €270 back if you appeal it

Strangely the VRT was 3400 when I checked in December before purchasing the car, Checking last night with the same car and mileage etc it has increased almost €1,100 euro from approx. €3,400 to €4,500. And I don't think the €4,500 figure includes the NOX figure.

Why the jump of 1100 euro?!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,053 ✭✭✭CoBo55

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    Every single one of your replies is snarky.

Nothing new there, somebody has to be blamed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭michellie

piobhan wrote: »
    Strangely the VRT was 3400 when I checked in December before purchasing the car, Checking last night with the same car and mileage etc it has increased almost €1,100 euro from approx. €3,400 to €4,500. And I don't think the €4,500 figure includes the NOX figure.

Why the jump of 1100 euro?!

OMSP can go up. I've seen a lot with low NOx go up this week. Some have gone down a lot too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭aaakev

I would be too if "my friend " got an extra bill of €3,100

I disagree, any reasonable comment got a reasonable reply. For example to the people who were unaware. I'm just not taking the bait from trolls who seek to abuse. What's the problem there?

• Advertisement

CoBo55 wrote: »
    Nothing new there, somebody has to be blamed.
    Who am I blaming?

michellie wrote: »
    You'd be surprised the amount of people who aren't aware of it.

I agree revenue should have made more awareness of it and there should be a calculator by now.

I know revenue's IT system is massively complicated and it takes ages to make changes. It took forever to get them to change the current Vrt calculator - you used to be able to amend the Co2 but it just meant people throwing in information that was completely incorrect then rocking up for an appointment being shocked at the vrt amount.

But at the moment this is making life very difficult for people (and me listening to them :) )

Pay and appeal is all you can do- for anyone who imported last month.
    100% correct

• Registered Users Posts: 6,047 ✭✭✭Truckermal

Why are you so upset about it when it's not costing you?

Truckermal wrote: »
    Why are you so upset about it when it's not costing you?
    I'm not upset at all. I just think there should be more awareness and I think the way revenue have gone about it's implementation is slightly cynical. IMO it is to protect the car trade here. The reason I think this, is because the new charge = almost exactly the same amount you would save by importing a car from the uk. As soon as Brexit was announced (many moons ago) there was an article stating that revenue were going to slap 18% increase on the vrt. The reason I know this is it pushed me into buying a 4 year old Merc up north last year. I advised my friend to go that way last year. He is Italian and I explained to him how the VRT system works. He went on the site and didn't read the fine print I guess. If we do our budget in October or whatever it gives enough time to update a website. I work in IT and it really is not that difficult. They knew it was coming so why were they not prepared?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,047 ✭✭✭Truckermal

Well the easiest thing to do is return the Car for a Nox friendly one, I wouldn't be paying that for a Jag anyway as it will be worth nothing in a few years.

Truckermal wrote: »
    Well the easiest thing to do is return the Car for a Nox friendly one, I wouldn't be paying that for a Jag anyway as it will be worth nothing in a few years.
    You're right there mate but hey it's not my money.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 scoopdog

Why would revenue update anything on time, ive imported cars before & i did see this coming before the budget last year , its a scam plain & simple. Ireland once again the only country in Europe to implement Nox ?? , you have to wonder.

So if you want to bring in a jeep , €4500 tax ?? Come on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭un5byh7sqpd2x0

Good for you. Yeah the info is all there but he is Italian and probably missed it in the print. I think he did expect to be informed of the change out of courtesy when he presented in December and they gave him a January appointment date. I don't think that that is an unreasonable expectation

Your friend, I mean you, should have informed yourself of the process. There's no one to to blame here but you. You're a fully grown adult, you don't need anyone to hold your hand anymore.
    Who am I blaming?

Everyone except yourself.

They state that it doesn’t include the nox on the landing page for the calculator, however it’s just thrown into a list of things the calculator does, and isn’t nearly prominent enough.

ill give you a laugh, i went into the revenue website, im looking at bringing a jeep in from japan, the revenue excel spreadsheet that you download doesn't even have the model, and they've basically slammed anything above a certain nox level particularly diesels into a box that's so expensive its not worth the pain.

Revenue never researched this you can bet some idiot from the Green party ran into them last june and threw this on there desk :)

• Advertisement

That’s class.

The Nox on mine is actually €2300 and not €1750 as I’d thought.

On a separate note, my old Shogun 2.8 was 331g/km Co2

Absolute joke, they are basically trying to kill off diesel. Wait and see in 10 years time there going to tax people for having Hybrids and battery operated cars :)

Advertisement