Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Venice under water

• 15-11-2019 12:20pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,826 ✭✭✭✭

Is this news. I thought venice was always under water. Gondola and all that, singing just one corneto.
    What am I missing ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭Sharp MZ700

cjmc wrote: »
    Is this news. I thought venice was always under water. Gondola and all that, singing just one corneto.
    What am I missing ?

A 't'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,154 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

cjmc wrote: »
    Is this news. I thought venice was always under water.

Venice is a city in Italy, you’re thinking of the mythical lost city of “Atlantis”.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,108 ✭✭✭Trigger Happy

My gondolences to the people of Venice at this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭Bob Harris

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

It's not "under water", it floods there like everywhere else.
    Just really bad this time.
    Of course not as bad as 1966

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭HorrorScope

biko wrote: »

Jesus don’t leave us on such a cliffhanger! :D What happened in 1966?

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭kkhornet

It flooded a lot worse than 2019 😂

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,580 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

The English won the World Cup and they haven't stopped banging on about it ever since.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

England won the World Cup. The Italian tears flooded their nation for weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭Sam Quentin

biko wrote: »
    kkhornet wrote: »
    It flooded a lot worse than 2019 ��

Lmao :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1966_Venice_flood

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭SnazzyPig

On tth 900th anniversary of the norman invasion of england, they finally won the world cup.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭Bacchus

"Italian council is flooded immediately after rejecting measures on climate change"

https://edition.cnn.com/2019/11/14/europe/veneto-council-climate-change-floods-trnd-intl-scli/index.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,183 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

The Venetians have been blind to their city's problems for a long time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

what was the 1966 flood blamed on?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,836 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

I'd blame Hippies

All eyes on Kursk. Slava Ukraini.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,183 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

The Adriatic's weirdo tide, loads of rain and unusually strong sirocco and bora winds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭NSAman

Too much water

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

So was there loads of coal and oil burned in 1966 and 2019 in particular?

It didn't flood last year. So does that mean the entire climate changed in 12 months?

Or that other nutjob crazy lula out-there fruitcake idea: the man-made climate change theory is bogus?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

topper75 wrote: »
    So was there loads of coal and oil burned in 1966 and 2019 in particular?

It didn't flood last year. So does that mean the entire climate changed in 12 months?

Or that other nutjob crazy lula out-there fruitcake idea: the man-made climate change theory is bogus?

Venice flooded last year https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/oct/29/venice-experiences-worst-flooding-since-2008

• Advertisement

rossie1977 wrote: »

Fair enough - I stand educated - did not know that.
    But wouldn't we expect to see progressively worse ones occurring year-on-year every year for the CO2 theory to make any sense?
    Scientists know well the difference between correlation and causation. But when you have a political overlay... well...it seems anything can be proposed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

Homosexuality and divorce

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,211 ✭✭✭jiltloop

topper75 wrote: »
    Fair enough - I stand educated - did not know that.
    But wouldn't we expect to see progressively worse ones occurring year-on-year every year for the CO2 theory to make any sense?
    Scientists know well the difference between correlation and causation. But when you have a political overlay... well...it seems anything can be proposed.

Global climates are incredibly complex. Are you seriously questioning climate change because increases in CO2 emissions globally does not equal an increase in flooding in Venice year on year?

Why don't you do a paper on it, plot 2 graphs, one showing annual global CO2 emissions and the other showing annual flooding in Venice and present that as your proof that climate change is a conspiracy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,826 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

A 't'.

My TA today is I laughed at that :)

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Das Reich

England won the World Cup. The Italian tears flooded their nation for weeks.

A very strange cup when the favourite team was nearly killed by Portugal, funny thing that the referee was English (George McCabe) and absent from the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,826 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Das Reich wrote: »
    A very strange cup when the favourite team was nearly killed by Portugal, funny thing that the referee was English (George McCabe) and absent from the game.
    I don't buy those conspiracy theories. It's not like they awarded England a goal that never was to win the competition. Oh wait ???

jiltloop wrote: »
    Global climates are incredibly complex. Are you seriously questioning climate change because increases in CO2 emissions globally does not equal an increase in flooding in Venice year on year?

Why don't you do a paper on it, plot 2 graphs, one showing annual global CO2 emissions and the other showing annual flooding in Venice and present that as your proof that climate change is a conspiracy.

Sorry - I am currently busy studying another correlation: falling Sunday mass attendance in recent decades and rise in gangland murders. The stats don't lie. Just need to find a Greta-type kid to get my show on the road. Going to bowl the UN right over if this form continues.

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭Somedaythefire

Not shocked it took just two pages for a climate change denier nutjob to show up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭Lirange

jimgoose wrote: »
    The Venetians have been blind to their city's problems for a long time.

German TV just uploaded a half hour long documentary on this just yesterday. It’s a worthwhile watch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

Jaysus this thread is flooded with smart replies :pac:

Not shocked it took just two pages for a climate change denier nutjob to show up.

Nobody denied climate change on here. Climate changes - everybody knows that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Naturally sinking city, still incomplete multi-billion euro sea barriers, what's to figure out here?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭maudgonner

GarIT wrote: »
    Homosexuality and divorce

Or the Italian equivalent of such atrocities: pineapple on pizza and 'light' opera. :eek:

Advertisement