Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Floodlight with sensor safety.

Options
  • 15-11-2019 12:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭

My aunt got her house rewired in 2002 by electrician and all ok except this external floodlight over the front door, which requires frequent attention almost annually (e.g. bulb replacement, unit replacement due to water, corrosion etc). Its a nasty thing really, its located about 8 foot over the door and requires ladder.
    But what I find unsatisfactory from a safety point of view is that it is wired directly to the consumer unit lighting circuit which has no RCD protection on lighting circuits, and there is no separate on/off switch except by switching off the 10 amp mcb. Surly there is an electrocution risk here in changing the lightbulb? Was this the standard in 2002?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭Twister2

There should be a switch but I don't thinks it's required by et101

Rcd not required either

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Yea probably no RCD required when its fixed to the building.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭keithdub

It would be quite easy to put a switch under the d.b. if that works for you. Then you just have to buy a decent fitting and you shouldn't have to get up there for a while

Advertisement