Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AIB Internet banking

• 15-11-2019 12:56pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭

Hi there

I'm trying to log into my AIB account. Getting all this stuff about pair my mobile number. I'm not interested in that. Want to go straight into my account details.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

YFlyer wrote: »
    Hi there

I'm trying to log into my AIB account. Getting all this stuff about pair my mobile number. I'm not interested in that. Want to go straight into my account details.

Thanks

AIB (as you have noticed) have introduce a form of two factor Authention to improve security.

You don't really much of a choice, the website does have a "Limited mode" which does not need this improved secuity, but it does limit what you can do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 440 ✭✭towger

The other option is to use a card reader as verification. The mobile option is much better as you always will have your phone to hand, but not the card reader.

As other poster said, you have to do it, and it is for your protection.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,479 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

After I put in my PIN numbers, EBS sends a confirmation query to an EBS app on my phone, I click 'Confirm' on the popup panel and I'm in.

Bank of Ireland have done nothing in his area as far as I can see. Though I recall getting a letter about a new app and secure authorisation a while back. Are they just ignoring the new regulations?

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭AirAmp2019

Under the Payments Services Directive 2 they all have to do two factor authentication now so it is not just AIB.

AirAmp2019 wrote: »
    Under the Payments Services Directive 2 they all have to do two factor authentication now so it is not just AIB.

Well BoI have asked two questions for several years now ...... (1) three random numbers from my 6 digit PIN and (2) the last four digits of my contact phone number or my DOB - they ask for one or the other each time.

It would appear that their existing security procedures were adequate because there has been no change to the login process since the new regulations came in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,751 ✭✭✭✭28064212

coylemj wrote: »
    Well BoI have asked two questions for several years now ...... (1) three random numbers from my 6 digit PIN and (2) the last four digits of my contact phone number or my DOB - they ask for one or the other each time.

It would appear that their existing security procedures were adequate because there has been no change to the login process since the new regulations came in.
    Or they're just in breach of the regulations because they couldn't get it done in time: https://www.bankofireland.com/the-second-payment-services-directive/app/

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,359 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

YFlyer wrote: »
    Hi there

Thanks

Well other customers are very interested in it, as they'd like to ensure that no Tom, Dick or Harry gets access to their account, which is why all these checks have been put there, so if you want access you'll have to do like everyone else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

AIB (as you have noticed) have introduce a form of two factor Authention to improve security.

You don't really much of a choice, the website does have a "Limited mode" which does not need this improved secuity, but it does limit what you can do.

Thanks Gerard

I download the app onto my phone. Works ok for now to see what is in my accounts. Will trawl through it later to get more familiar with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

I was amazed how on my PC that AIB site knew my previous and current phone model.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭dotsman

coylemj wrote: »
    After I put in my PIN numbers, EBS sends a confirmation query to an EBS app on my phone, I click 'Confirm' on the popup panel and I'm in.

Bank of Ireland have done nothing in his area as far as I can see. Though I recall getting a letter about a new app and secure authorisation a while back. Are they just ignoring the new regulations?

Bank of Ireland intended to introduce this last year. Then last spring, then last summer. As of their latest announcement, they hope to have it out by the end of this year, maybe next year.

This is part of their 500 million, 800 million, 1 billion, 1.15 billion* IT project to upgrade their IT systems to a platform built in the 1980's but given a horrible 90's look-and-feel. The first phase is due to be released in 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019 (only a few weeks to go:eek:)

* Final figure will likely be far larger, for a tiny fraction of the initial functionality promised and a total mess of a dinosaur IT system. It is gunning for the "the perfect example of how NOT to do IT change" award. But it's ok, because they will be able to blame it on consultants.:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭JTMan

28064212 wrote: »
    Or they're just in breach of the regulations because they couldn't get it done in time: https://www.bankofireland.com/the-second-payment-services-directive/app/

BoI told the Indo that they are complaint :confused: Don't see how that is possible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,751 ✭✭✭✭28064212

JTMan wrote: »
    BoI told the Indo that they are complaint :confused: Don't see how that is possible.
    Link?

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭JTMan

Can't find it sorry but definitely read Bank of Ireland telling the media that they were already complaint.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,871 ✭✭✭daheff

towger wrote: »

As other poster said, you have to do it, and it is for your protection because the EU say you have to.

fixed your post.

This 2FA is more for the protection of the financial institutions than for the user. If you are now unlucky enough to fall victim to fraud where 2fa is used, dont expect to get your money back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,447 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

So, is every bank going to move to this nonsense? Cos I've just had right pain in the arse trying to get my "device" paired with my online account. :rolleyes:

Tony EH wrote: »
    So, is every bank going to move to this nonsense? Cos I've just had right pain in the arse trying to get my "device" paired with my online account. :rolleyes:

And you see any advertising value in: "We've not kept up with technology - bank with us" ????

Oh and you can start psyching yourself up for the next round - face and finger print recognition....

Jim2007 wrote: »
    And you see any advertising value in: "We've not kept up with technology - bank with us" ????

Oh and you can start psyching yourself up for the next round - face and finger print recognition....

Hmmmm, I am really very uncomfortable about that direction to be honest.

I'm not happy at all about using my phone for banking purposes either. Phones are absolutely terrible things to use for banking. So unsafe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,211 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Tony EH wrote: »
    Hmmmm, I am really very uncomfortable about that direction to be honest.

I'm not happy at all about using my phone for banking purposes either. Phones are absolutely terrible things to use for banking. So unsafe.

Youre not using it for banking. Youre using it for authentication.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,928 ✭✭✭billyhead

I am with EBS and cant get my smart phone authenticated. Its an absolute pain in the ass.

^

Me too. Bloody nightmare rigmarole.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,844 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

Had to try pairing a few different times before getting EBS app working.

Anyway eventually got it to generate OTP for each login session as the notification didn't work (why couldn't they just use SMS OTP).

Didn't try the earlier version 1.0 so don't know if it had OTP option.

I used version 1.9.8

Latest version 1.9.11
    It needs chrome browser on the device for initial set up.

EBS Authenticator app was updated yesterday, the new version is 1.9.11

Seems I was in Hong Kong last night.... woke this morning to find a request on my phone to authorise a credit card transaction at 3:00 am.

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭nice bit of green

I find the AIB app quite user friendly and tbh it’s one of the 2 main reasons I am still their customer. The other being laziness.
    The question is, are the apps of other banks who charge less to hold a current acc better than AIB’s?
    Cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,786 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

I find the AIB app quite user friendly and tbh it’s one of the 2 main reasons I am still their customer. The other being laziness.
    The question is, are the apps of other banks who charge less to hold a current acc better than AIB’s?
    Cheers

Well, any bank I use allows standing orders to be set up and altered from within the app, so that's a big step up from AIB.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,786 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

McGaggs wrote: »
    Well, any bank I use allows standing orders to be set up and altered from within the app, so that's a big step up from AIB.

AIB decided their customers no longer needed the functionality and turned it off.

Africa come to Europe....

I just started using the new app release by my bank here in Switzerland. Postman showed up this morning with a parcel and a bill for 21.05 francs for duty, just scanned the QCode and confirmed the payment all done. Last week I bought a few items on ebay for another Swiss guy - he sent me his mobile number and that was all I needed for payment... and a mate of mine owed me lunch money, sent him my mobile number and received payment. No need to swapping bank account details etc....

This technology has actually been used in Africa for a while now....

Advertisement