Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Youth Assembly on Climate Change

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Strazdas wrote: »
    I believe around 1000 students applied after it was advertised and it was whittled down to 157 in the end.

I'm surprised there wasn't a Saturday night Cowell-style premium number to vote on. Missed a few €€€ there lads - ye are losing the edge.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

gozunda wrote: »
    Better idea. Let's tax the kids so they get to pay their fair share of carbon emissions.
    Anything they buy is taxed (VAT).

What else do you propose taxing? Their income? Lets say 50%. Of 0, which is...0.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,897 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

SafeSurfer wrote: »
    So the minority should be excluded from a discussion in the seat of Irish democracy. I see.

I think one or two dissenting voices telling the rest of the delegates they are wrong about just about everything would be disruptive and would achieve nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,422 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

I think one or two dissenting voices telling the rest of the delegates they are wrong about just about everything would be disruptive and would achieve nothing.

What's the point of there can be no dissent?

Aside from promoting government policy and a photo-op of course?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,897 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

What's the point of there can be no dissent?

Aside from promoting government policy and a photo-op of course?

The Assembly is an ideas forum where delegates suggest solutions to climate change. Someone going in and telling everyone that climate change is a hoax and doesn't exist would be a bit bonkers in such a setting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,519 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

The North Korean Communist Party think the same.

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

Anything they buy is taxed (VAT).

What else do you propose taxing? Their income? Lets say 50%. Of 0, which is...0.

Presumably he means tax the parents for expenditure on children.

Presumably this would mean carbon levies on things aimed at or facilitating children: such as clothes, school books, childcare, toys and gadgets, junk food, holidays etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

Have you watched TV or read a newspaper lately. The climate crisis is everywhere. Is it really surprising that it is being discussed here?

Is it? I was in the USA last week and not one person mentioned or did i hear anyone crying about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

Same kids that are driven into school every day in parents SUV.
    That are always on their phones/tablets/laptops - I guess those batteries just mine and charge themselves.

Wonder when they are off on their next family holiday too ?
    The hypocrisy of the movement is incredible really.

Presumably he means tax the parents for expenditure on children.

Presumably this would mean carbon levies on things aimed at or facilitating children: such as clothes, school books, childcare, toys and gadgets, junk food, holidays etc.

If he means tax the parents, he should say so. He didn't.

Utterly stupid idea anyway, it's not the kids that caused any of this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭KSU

The kids will probably end paying more of any new taxes than either of ye over their lifetime.. no harm in them having a chance to discuss it

The problem with it is that kids are looking at it from a myopic view, look at GT having a pop in interviews with anyone who makes any sort of debate based on economics.

Without a fuller view of the implications kids are being coaxed into supporting further taxation without a broader sense of the implications.

People for the most part aim to protect the elderly from making bad decisions due to dimished capacity yet somehow anyone doing so with regards to youth is silenced due to the orchestrated vilification of those with legitimate concerns with the direction modern society is taking.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,519 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

The Assembly is an ideas forum where delegates suggest solutions to climate change. Someone going in and telling everyone that climate change is a hoax and doesn't exist would be a bit bonkers in such a setting.

No. The assembly is part of the 100th year anniversary commemoration of the first Dail. It is dubbed as an opportunity for young people to express their opinions and have their voices heard.
    The selection process is designed to represent people from different genders, backgrounds and parts of the country. Diversity in everything but opinion.

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

Is it wrong to be cynical about the Youth Assembly on climate change in the Dail?

No Youth Assembly about the housing crisis, health crisis, political corruption or Irish unification but a Youth Assembly on the climate crisis. Why?

Do the participants represent the views of young people in Ireland or do they just represent young people who are concerned about climate change?

Is it appropriate that only young people from one viewpoint were invited to participate in a discussion in the seat of Irish democracy?

I don't think it's wrong to be cynical as we have seen in politics that adults are not above using children because how could you attack a point a child has made.

They have a right to have their say but people also have a right to be critical of their solutions /opinions. There is an air of self righteousness about them though that won't win allot of folk over. Although it could just be RTE inflating trying to be relevant.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,416 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

Micky 32 wrote: »
    Is it? I was in the USA last week and not one person mentioned or did i hear anyone crying about it.

you flew to the states ? how dare you !

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Same kids that are driven into school every day in parents SUV.
    That are always on their phones/tablets/laptops - I guess those batteries just mine and charge themselves.

Wonder when they are off on their next family holiday too ?
    The hypocrisy of the movement is incredible really.

This country has seen all this before. Some of the shower who were lecturing us about sex outside of marriage fathered kids on the sly. Politicians lecturing about us living beyond our means and themselves buying Charvet shirts in Paris.

It comes in different guises through the years, but is a key part of the character of the Irish nation. All you can do is laugh.

So there's no room for the young people who think that the environmentally destructive behavior that they themselves engage in is ok.

It's very easy to say that carbon taxes on fuel should increase, but there seems to be little understanding of the consequences of such policies (particularly among the young people whose views are presented in the media). The need to understand that the future they're fighting for will inevitably lead to a lower standard of living in Ireland. If they understand that and the consequences of that well that's their future inheritance. And that's fine.

But it appears to me that there isn't even a skin deep understanding among many young people about this aspect.

It's nonsense. A political move. A bunch of kids repeating what was trending on twitter yesterday

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

It's taking kids to show how idiotic adults have been.

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭KSU

It's nonsense. A political move. A bunch of kids repeating what was trending on twitter yesterday

Twitter for iPhone, powered by fossil fuels, paid for by mommy and daddy :cool:

Moved to CA btw.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

What I meant was that you'll be in pension soon enough (relatively speaking) where as they will be paying any new tax for the entirety of their working life. And I'd think most of the ones driven enough to take part in something like this will not end up in the lower tax exemption bands.

I'd also think then and at the very least hope that the ones there today will also be a bit brighter than the 'how dare you' crowd, considering you had to go to the effort to apply to be there today, I'd say it as a fair assumption. Let's see what they come up with anyway before writing them off

Hmmm ok. I've a lot of tax paying years ahead by my own reckoning. And no I'm not going to leave the country or otherwise spend many years not paying or paying lower tax. If the kids are truely representitive of across the board - then they should benefit from the countires lower tax base for more people more than older generations ever did and recieve more in free health care and other benefits. But yeah kids need to be aware of these issues and not just do that thing of blaming others which has been a feature of some of the public faces of this movenent. But yeah agreed what they come up should be interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Since Ireland is the second country in the world (after UK, we follow them as usual) to declare a climate emergency the gubberment needs to be seen trying to address the climate.
    I think it's a good idea to have a meeting around these questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

you flew to the states ? how dare you !

I know, i’m so racked with guilt ;-). Been there over 30 times since 2006.

If he means tax the parents, he should say so. He didn't.

Utterly stupid idea anyway, it's not the kids that caused any of this.

As stated it was a tongue in cheek comment with the bonus it just might make kids think.

Just one thing - a kid raised 50 or even 30 years ago had a hell of a lower carbon footprint than any kid today. I was of a generation where there was no disposable nappies, very little plastic, clothes were hand me downs and you ate what you were given.

So yeah kids or let's say having kids and providing them with everything they need or want is definitely part of the problem. So yeah today's kids dont get an exemption simply because they are 'kids'

• Registered Users Posts: 11,789 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

The Government will love this youth assembly on climate change. Imagine a whole generation of people campaigning for higher taxes naively thinking that the tax will help save the world. It's a politician's wet dream.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭sk8erboii

As stated it was a tongue in cheek comment with the bonus it just might make kids think.

Just one thing - a kid raised 50 or even 30 years ago had a hell of a lower carbon footprint than any kid today. I was of a generation where there was no disposable nappies, very little plastic, clothes were hand me downs and you ate what you were given.

So yeah kids or let's say having kids and providing them with everything they need or want is definitely part of the problem. So yeah today's kids dont get an exemption imply because they are 'kids'
    Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz tired old ‘back in my day’ rhetoric thats utterly irrelevant.

Fact is, you’re going to die soon and these people will inherit the earth. Let them do their own research and dont impose values from the generation of Reagan and Bush. Its not about you anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭bloopy

sk8erboii wrote: »
    Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz tired old ‘back in my day’ rhetoric thats utterly irrelevant.

Fact is, you’re going to die soon and these people will inherit the earth. Let them do their own research and dont impose values from the generation of Reagan and Bush. Its not about you anymore.

Holy s***, this is incredibly arrogant.:eek:

sk8erboii wrote: »
    Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz tired old ‘back in my day’ rhetoric thats utterly irrelevant.Fact is, you’re going to die soon and these people will inherit the earth. Let them do their own research and dont impose values from the generation of Reagan and Bush. Its not about you anymore.

Skaterboy - getting a bit long in the tooth now to be pretending to be a kid no? . But yeah the fact is that today's pampered kids have a much bigger carbon footprint than any that have gone before them. Yup it's about all of us. And yes funnily enough we all die ;)

• Site Banned Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭sk8erboii

Skaterboy - getting a bit long in the tooth now to be pretending you're a kid no? . But yeah the fact is that today's pampered kids have a much bigger carbon footprint than any that have gone before them. It's about all of us. And yes funnily enough we all die ;)

? Whose pretending? Im in my mid 20s. Happy to see children are taking an active interest in pressing issues. Would be happier to see old people back the f*ck down and shut up.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

topper75 wrote: »
    This country has seen all this before. Some of the shower who were lecturing us about sex outside of marriage fathered kids on the sly. Politicians lecturing about us living beyond our means and themselves buying Charvet shirts in Paris.

It comes in different guises through the years, but is a key part of the character of the Irish nation. All you can do is laugh.

Couldn't have said it better :)

Advertisement